Page 1 of 2
I have a friend who I found out has never changed his guitar strings. He has had his guitar at least 3 years (probably more like 5) he says "No point if you tune them enough they don't go out of tune"

Ewwwwwww they must feel horrible.
I went over this kid's house cause he wanted me to lower his strings.
His name was rusty and his strings were orange. They broke when I loosened them and he tried to get me to pay for new ones. I ignored him for 3 months cause **** that kid. He didn't even play guitar
One of my basses has strings where from frets 4-9 all 4 strings are completely black with grime...

A few weeks ago I lent that bass to a friend
What your friend said sounds like what I'd say.

I have 3 years old Elixrs on my RR3.. they still sound good. Not great, but good.
Quote by jpnyc
Gross. I can't stand to touch mine after three months.

Same I got a new guitar at Christmas and haven't changed the strings. On top of that I haven't changed the strings on my Other guitar since what is looking like last July. They felt so bad I just stopped playing guitar. Started playing again recently and have forgotten what good strings feel like.
Quote by Silent Murder
What your friend said sounds like what I'd say.

I have 3 years old Elixrs on my RR3.. they still sound good. Not great, but good.

I mean really, no offence, but why in the f**k would someone not change there strings in 3 years?! Especially if you have an RR3.....is it just laziness? You do know that those strings will make you sound like sh*t compared to a new set of strings right?
hoosierxhoosier the guitar I haven't changed strings on for a year is an RR3.

I basically came her putting my friend on blast and found out I am almost as bad.
nasty. i cant stand old strings. theyre all dirty and gross. and i dont like it. i like crispy new strings.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
I mean really, no offence, but why in the f**k would someone not change there strings in 3 years?! Especially if you have an RR3.....is it just laziness? You do know that those strings will make you sound like sh*t compared to a new set of strings right?

I'm pretty much tone deaf and can't justify buying a new set ever few months if it sounds "good enough" to my ears.
I don't plug it in often either.. just noodle aound with it occasionally.

And yeh, new string feeling is amazing, I know.

If I was playing in a band for other people, obviously my outlook would be completely different.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Maybe he just doesn't sweat as much in his hands, or has better hygiene than you? I sweat very little in my hands when I play (if any at all), and my hands don't have much natural oils on them (always gotta lotion them up everyday), and on top of that I wash my hands every time I go to the washroom, or when they get dirty. My strings last me a long, long time. I only change them just because I feel like it.

edit: I also wipe my strings as whenever they get sticky or grimy.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
I'm pretty much tone deaf and can't justify buying a new set ever few months if it sounds "good enough" to my ears.
I don't plug it in often either.. just noodle aound with it occasionally.

And yeh, new string feeling is amazing, I know.

If I was playing in a band for other people, obviously my outlook would be completely different.

Which brings up a new question. If you are "tone deaf" and only care about what "sounds good enough" why do you own a RR3?
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
Which brings up a new question. If you are "tone deaf" and only care about what "sounds good enough" why do you own a RR3?

Looks pretty.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by hoosierxhoosier

I'm sure there are other things that effect your sound way more then strings do.
damn guys don't any of you wipe your strings after playing? strings will go dead after a while but if they are grimmy etc then you aren't doing something right.
After playing a friends guitar:

Me: "Dude, you should really look into getting new strings real soon. These sound like shit and feel like they're about to break. "

Him: "Why? They've only been on for 2 years."

I leave my strings on usually 4-5 months but then again i get my strings free i should prolly change them more often cuz play alot but meh i kinda like the feel
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
silent murder be trolling
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I bought a guitar that hadn't been played in 5 or more years and it's strings were coated in rust! (I changed them five minutes after noticing the rust.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
My ex used to change her strings once a year, and continually complained about her tone(she was trying to play thrash metal through a Fender MiM, which might have contributed too, but I bought her a nice hot bridge pickup to fix that for Christmas). I was pretty grossed out by that and made her change them. Oddly, my first guitar was 20 years old and hadn't been taken out of its case in 5 years when I had bought it, some of the pearloid inlays actually had a coating of green moldy stuff over them, but the strings weren't that bad, yet when I got my ML(it was a '07 model, I got it in mid '09) the strings were so rusted there were lines of rust on the bridge pickup(the wonderful people who set it up had the bridge pickup touching the strings and the neck pickup level with the mounting ring).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I can't go for over a month without changing my strings... And I use Elixers! I just can't handle dirty strings.
Quote by Ghefly
One of my basses has strings where from frets 4-9 all 4 strings are completely black with grime...

A few weeks ago I lent that bass to a friend

Joe Osborn left the strings on his Fender Jazz bass (possibly the first one ever made) for about 25 years. Ry Cooder changes his guitar strings once a year. Some people like dead strings. To each his (or her) own, I suppose.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
when I was a nub, I used to change strings whenever one of them broke
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
when I was a nub, I used to change strings whenever one of them broke

Hell, I still do that... But usually its over a month when that string decides to break.
^^ I meant that I would only replace the broken string
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i hate changing strings i must be something ***ing wrong . to make a tie ( pass the string under and over while turning ) .. anyway i always end up with strings that dont stay in tune at all . it always go wrong .

i bought locking tuners .. havent changed the strings since my luthier installed them . but i hope it will be better . look easier has you dont have to turn around the peg .

from now on .. EVERY guitars ill own will have locking tuners .

*** ive never broke a string of my life .. is it normal ???.. im not hard on string .. i bend but dunno , never enough to break strings .

im playing hard rock /metal .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 25, 2011,
I use my strings for about 2-4 months. Or about 3-5 if they are coated.

I don't have enough money to buy new ones all the time.

Semi off Topic, but I'd rather not make enough thread. I have some Dr Dimebag coated strings on right now, had them on for about 2-3 months I think. Should I change them? Cus I have three sets of DR DDDs ready to be put on.
Quote by Skysc
from now on .. EVERY guitars ill own will have locking tuners .

+1.
if i have a good week of playing and practice, i need to change string....i go crazy after a month.....3 months?!?!?! thats like playing a cheese grater!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
You guys think that 3 years is crazy?

A friend just gifted me her acoustic guitar, but in doing so begrudgingly admitted that the strings hadn't been changed since it was given to her.

It was given to her when she was 15.

She's now 26.

I love my new guitar, and I'll probably keep it forever and love it to death because it was a gift from someone who genuinely wanted to give me something nice. And she's a wonderful guitar, plays really well now and came in a hard case and everything. But I pity the poor thing. 11 years without new strings must have been torture.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
I play fairly light gauge strings but after a few weeks they are so bent up and twisted I have to changed them. Off of the guitar the used strings look like they were part of a chain link fence.
I had the same strings on my guitar during almost 3 years.

Then I changed them. The improvement in sound, feeling and tone was unbelievable.
I have no sig
I change strings after about 2 weeks, but when I am giging heavily I change them after 2 shows or I'm 99% gonna break one the 3rd show. And Dirty,Rusted strings sound and feal gross.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I see your 3 yeras and raise you 1...I got a buddy that hasnt changed his in well over 4 years...having only changed the strings once when he got the guitar....its a peavey tele knockoff...he plays all that remins and as I lay dying...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
i normally keep my strings on for a month, cos i play about 1-2 hours everyday and they get pretty worn pretty fast. That, and my amp heats up my guitar room so it gets really hot so my hands sweat quite a bit too.
I use Dunlop 65 Ultraglide on my strings after about a month or two. Makes them sound newer and smell like lemons.

Very good product to anyone that wants to prolong the life of their strings, even coated ones. Except it tends to eat away at the coating... It's really acidic. If you have a finished bridge (say black nickel), it will begin to come off. Even a chrome plated bridge will eventually wear off with this stuff. So make sure you don't ever touch the bridge with it, and apply it going toward the nut, and wipe off excess going toward the nut.

So anyway, if the coating begins to fray off, apply this stuff and it'll work.

I change strings every 2-3 months. Maybe 4. I think I'm about due for my acoustic. I put new strings on that in like end of March.

Also, anyone find Elixirs to be really hard on the frets? On my Dean, I have flat spots all over on the frets, and I mostly used Elixirs on that guitar.
ernie ball hybrid slinkys......almost 5 months ......usually theyll last me a week.........dont think ill ever use other strings now......
Page 1 of 2