Page 1 of 2
Ok.......I never thought I'd be back here asking this Question again, but since I don't cover songs at all anymore I need a little help with some popular D standard / Drop C songs that range from Hard Rock to more mainstream "Metal", I use that term loosely for the elitests out there.

So the situation is I have FINALLY found some respectable band mates, singer, drummer, and a legit lead guitarest. I'm a rhthym guitar guy with lead potentials myself.

I have almost 8 complete songs that they all mostly dig, but the idea has formed amongst them that they'd rather start as a unit doing popular covers. I agree to a point because there's a better chance for exposure that way.

I'll explain more as the thread continues to avoid the the OP from being MASSIVE.

So plz, throw some good old fun time songs in either D or Drop C plz. No stuff with whammy bars plz, niether of us have one.

Songs I've suggested so far (just a s a reference)
1. Toxicity by SOAD
2. Animal or Riot by 3 Days Grace (are they still even popular?)
3. Stricken (or perhaps another Drop C song of theirs)

Uhh, plz no songs that are a million MPH on drums. He's not QUITE there yet.

Thx a bunch
94 hours - As I lay dying
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
94 hours - As I lay dying

That......was fast

EDIT:
I'll check it though.
Not too much screaming, right?
Remember, if its got screaming it's gotta be insanely popular and still relavant.

This isnt my decision, but we need to play to a certain type of crowd
Last edited by bdof at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by bdof
That......was fast

Sorry, I was listening to it, and it's a good song

also, that's what she said.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Origin - Wrath of Vizhnu (drop C)
Anything by The Faceless (also drop C)
Some old Deicide stuff is also in drop D.
Maybe go with some Vital Remains.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
And if you want a Drop C ballad, Hearts Burst into Fire (BFMV) is a good one.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

No offense guys, despite liking most of these songs, none of them are very popular in the mainstream

I need some borderline cheesy stuff. Stuff even an average music fan (not neccesarily of metal) might reconize.
For lack of a better term......sigh.......radio hits / commercial / Billboard Top 10 for "Metal"

God this makes me feel so dirty cause I'd rather play my own stuff, which is very much ARGURABLY "Metal".

No Self-Masturbation
Quote by bdof
No offense guys, despite liking most of these songs, none of them are very popular in the mainstream

I need some borderline cheesy stuff. Stuff even an average music fan (not neccesarily of metal) might reconize.
For lack of a better term......sigh.......radio hits / commercial / Billboard Top 10 for "Metal"

God this makes me feel so dirty cause I'd rather play my own stuff, which is very much ARGURABLY "Metal".

No Self-Masturbation

Bullet for my Valentine is VERY poppy.

actually, hearts burst into fire would be perfect.

linky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3cUPTKnl0
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 25, 2011,
Mastodon
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
To explain the situation of the band a lil better, we're not all on the same page on HOW to work on songs. I agreed this would be a good idea because there's already blueprints to work with with covers. It's all about execution after that.

With both the work ethic that will come with working on covers and performing live more and practicing on the same page more and more, we hope these lessons will be obsorbed and help go towards writing our own material. We all agree on that point
All right then, I think Porcupine Tree use that tuning in their later material. They're not that popular, but they're pretty catchy (and amazing).
Quote by jimmyled
All right then, I think Porcupine Tree use that tuning in their later material. They're not that popular, but they're pretty catchy (and amazing).

I've always wanted to get into them. What songs should I listen to?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Well, the BFMV post was done almost simutaneous to my long post, haha. They might be a good choice. Don't listen to them much, do they use whammy much for solos?

Also, Alter Bridge and Mastadon are prime choices. Songs for Mastadon? I like Oblivion personally. Very hummy and radio friendly.
A great deal of Disturbed's music is in drop C ... at least most of the songs on Ten Thousand Fists. I don't know about the other albums.

Try Avarice, that's a fun one.
Quote by fearofthemark
I've always wanted to get into them. What songs should I listen to?

It really depends on what you like. I like everything by them (literally), so it's hard for me to say, but I'd suggest you start with In Absentia, which is the one I started with, and the Fear of a Blank Planet. Give them several listens though, their music is kind of deep.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Design The Skyline is pretty popular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, and Shadows Fall should be right up your alley - I think they all play in D standard primarily. Pretty much any song on the first pages of youtube would be fine.

Killswitch and BFMV use drop C most of the time, and they're pretty mainstream "metal". Anything from SOAD's first 3 albums works too.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
ANything by Skillet ie: Monster or Comatose really easy stuff and Drop C most of the time
As stated before, Hearts Burst Into Fire would do really, really well. Not only is it a good song, it's upbeat enough to keep the crowd interested.

Other songs you might like:
There's No Sympathy for the Dead - Escape the Fate (Or pretty much anything by EtF, they're popular in my area.)
The Darkest Nights - As I lay Dying
Tears Don't Fall - BFMV (if you don't play Hearts Burst Into Fire)
Anything by Misery Signals.
Quote by Hail

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, and Shadows Fall should be right up your alley - I think they all play in D standard primarily. Pretty much any song on the first pages of youtube would be fine.

Killswitch and BFMV use drop C most of the time, and they're pretty mainstream "metal". Anything from SOAD's first 3 albums works too.

Yeah, and i like those first 3 bands mentioned, but they have some brutal drumming dude.
Quote by Grave Robber
Holy Diver, the Killswitch Engage version?

Holy shit, why didn't i think of that?
A cover of a cover!

But seriously, it's a good idea. I like the cover.
Quote by jimmyled
It really depends on what you like. I like everything by them (literally), so it's hard for me to say, but I'd suggest you start with In Absentia, which is the one I started with, and the Fear of a Blank Planet. Give them several listens though, their music is kind of deep.

I'm still downloading the album, but they are really good with names. Porcupine Tree is an amazing band name, and Fear of a Blank Planet is a great song title.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album in general is very mainstream like Bat Country a good amount of people should know that song
Quote by Somekid94

Tears Don't Fall - BFMV (if you don't play Hearts Burst Into Fire)

**** you, sir, **** you very much. I now have to listen to that song, after four years of avoiding it.
Quote by SGplayer1991
Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album in general is very mainstream like Bat Country a good amount of people should know that song

Aren't they mostly in drop D on that album though?
Quote by SGplayer1991

A7X is all Drop D, there is no drop C or D standard anywhere.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

OH and A Day To Remember if you wanna do a cover of a cover do ADTR's version of "Since U Been Gone" or "Downfall of Us All"
Quote by fearofthemark
A7X is all Drop D, there is no drop C or D standard anywhere.

that's right I was at this point giving him popular bands at this point
Adding perhaps a 5FDP (Five Finger Death Punch) song that they record in Drop C.
The Bleeding was a pretty cool song. Even though they're complete pussies now.
Quote by SGplayer1991
OH and A Day To Remember if you wanna do a cover of a cover do ADTR's version of "Since U Been Gone" or "Downfall of Us All"

Please, TS, anything but a day to remember.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by SGplayer1991
that's right I was at this point giving him popular bands at this point

ahh

you can always do some a7x in drop c. I would suggest Almost Easy, but the drumming is quite insane.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
I'm still downloading the album, but they are really good with names. Porcupine Tree is an amazing band name, and Fear of a Blank Planet is a great song title.

Yeah.

But listen to full albums by them, it's a much better experience, I find.
Quote by fearofthemark
Please, TS, anything but a day to remember.

I won't....
Quote by jimmyled
Yeah.

But listen to full albums by them, it's a much better experience, I find.

which album should I listen to first?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by jimmyled
**** you, sir, **** you very much. I now have to listen to that song, after four years of avoiding it.

Page 1 of 2