does anyone know what the proper way to hook a mic into a guitar amp? I don't have a pa system for practicing, and Im not looking for one. My mic is just an average performance mic with the regular 3 pronged mic cable.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Is it an electric guitar amp? Generally, we don't use those for PA use. Why? Because the speaker(s) are low frequency and do not have a decent range for voice. Can it still be done? Sure. Get an XLR to TS cable. This is a 3-pin male to 2-conductor mono 1/4". Plug the XLR end into the mic and the other into the amp. I doubt you'll be too impressed with the results, since it will tend to be fairly bassy. Don't plug your mic and guitar into the amp at the same time. The impedance with both plugged in at the same time won't sound very good.

Is there a guitar amp that's good for PA use? Yes. Most acoustic guitar amps work very well for PA use. Some are even designed for it and offer stereo inputs. 1 input is typically used for your acoustic guitar and the other is for your mic. With this type of amp, it's safe to have both a mic and guitar plugged in at the same time, since the amp is in stereo. If the acoustic amp is mono, such as the Rivera Sedona, only plug in one or the other, but not both - it's an acoustic amp, but it's not stereo.
aslo I'm just using it for practice, not performance or anything. I need to be more used to using a mic. Ill probably look into one of those amps with the mic input included and meant to be there, too. those sounds pretty cool.
I've been doing it for a while now and it sucks.. it works but the result is crap. :/

Be sure overdrive isn't on and all the effects are off.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Is it an electric guitar amp? Generally, we don't use those for PA use. Why? Because the speaker(s) are low frequency and do not have a decent range for voice. Can it still be done? Sure. Get an XLR to TS cable. This is a 3-pin male to 2-conductor mono 1/4". Plug the XLR end into the mic and the other into the amp. I doubt you'll be too impressed with the results, since it will tend to be fairly bassy. Don't plug your mic and guitar into the amp at the same time. The impedance with both plugged in at the same time won't sound very good.

Is there a guitar amp that's good for PA use? Yes. Most acoustic guitar amps work very well for PA use. Some are even designed for it and offer stereo inputs. 1 input is typically used for your acoustic guitar and the other is for your mic. With this type of amp, it's safe to have both a mic and guitar plugged in at the same time, since the amp is in stereo. If the acoustic amp is mono, such as the Rivera Sedona, only plug in one or the other, but not both - it's an acoustic amp, but it's not stereo.

Huh?

Last time I checked, the frequency range on Electric and Acoustic guitars was the same...

Also, voice is generally in the frequency range of E2 to C6, 82 to 1046hz.

A guitar is from 82 to 1318hz, E2 to E6 (6 string, standard tuning, 24 fret)

Note that the two are virtually identical.

As long as the amp is capable of a clean tone, it will work for voice. (Of course if you overdrive it, it won't sound so good...)