I've "playing" guitar for about 2 and a half years. I'm decent, and I'm still new to all the technical things. I can kinda tap, and I can just shred really fast when it comes to soloing, nothing really that great. When I try to learn songs, everything sounds off. It's always been like that. No matter how much I practice, everything I play just sounds like complete shit, unless I'm just randomly flailing away at the lower frets and playing super fast, and that's only good to people who don't know shit about guitar. I want to get better so bad, I love guitar. But it's so un motivating when everything you play sounds like complete shit. It's not even just my playing. There's constant ringing from my guitar when I play power chords, and my amp has constant feedback, even with the "drive" completely shut off. Heres my gear:

Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT, Humbuckers, floating bridge
Line 6 Spider IV 15 watts
BOSS DS-1 pedal

I just need some advice on what to do. Should I get new equipment, or is it completley just me that sounds like shit?

I appreciate it guys, and sorry for the Wall Of Text
It's the amp. Spiders sound great to the inexperienced, which I'm not claiming that you are. But it's very true that once you get better sounding equipment, you get more motivated and satisfied with what you play.
Cusp of Magic
You can shred really fast after 2 years, but its only sounds good to people who don't play guitar?

I'm thinking that you're not really shredding. Stop trying to go fast, slow down your practice speed to 60 bpm and then work your way up. I've not come across anyone who can properly shred after 2 years.

1. Get a metronome and practice to that.

That said, I'm not completely doubting you. Your amp probably isn't doing any justice to your tone.

2. Get a new amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
DUDE!!! GET RID OF THE PIECE OF SHIT LINE 6!!! YOU HAVE A GREAT GUITAR, YOU NEED A BETTER AMP!!! SAVE UP SOME MONEY AND GET SOMETHING BETTER!!!

BTW Nice username.
I started with a Line 6 Spider and getting rid of it changed my life. I should write testimonials encouraging others to change amps. The tone is really that bad. It made me feel bad about my playing when it was (mostly) that amp's abysmal tone.
I know the pain that you're going through. I have a Spider III 75W. It's pretty decent, considering i only use it for the clean (i use a Tonebone Hot British and Wylde Overdrive for distortion), but it does sometimes ring when you want silence. Also, because you have very low wattage, the dynamics are going to be crappier. I suggest gettin a new higher watt (not spider) amp, and getting a higher end distortion pedal (unless the amp has awesome distortion
I also had a spider 3 15 watt.

I bought a Peavey 6505+ 112 and it's much better, but I still want to improve.

Honestly I'm not a fan of dean guitars either but hey, if you like it keep it!
I'd REALLY buy a new amp tho if I were you!
what you really need is a new amp

If you're not good at covering songs (like me), make up your own.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Haha, funny thing is, I had a spider 2 75 watt before, and it started to suck complete shit, wanted a new amp. Went out to get a new one, and I tried a bunch, none of them had the crunch and chugga chugga I was looking for. Even the employees at Ton Lee recommended I jsut get a newer version of the Spider. So I did. What's the best, cheapest amp to get Dave Mustaine like tone out of?
Quote by MasterofSouls
Haha, funny thing is, I had a spider 2 75 watt before, and it started to suck complete shit, wanted a new amp. Went out to get a new one, and I tried a bunch, none of them had the crunch and chugga chugga I was looking for. Even the employees at Ton Lee recommended I jsut get a ne wer version of the Spider. So I did. What's the best, cheapest amp to get Dave Mustaine like tone out of?

what was your price range when looking at amps?
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl

Eh, I dunno 500-600 bucks, once I get a job I guess
Quote by MasterofSouls
Haha, funny thing is, I had a spider 2 75 watt before, and it started to suck complete shit, wanted a new amp. Went out to get a new one, and I tried a bunch, none of them had the crunch and chugga chugga I was looking for. Even the employees at Ton Lee recommended I jsut get a newer version of the Spider. So I did. What's the best, cheapest amp to get Dave Mustaine like tone out of?

not a megadeth fan so I'm not familiar with his tone but a peavey 6505+ is good for metal
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Knucklehead Dyl

Hey man, i know it can be unmotivating, playing guitar that is, but when you get unmotivated, try to see the big picture. Why are you playing the guitar? What made you wanna play guitar? check back on your main influences and see what they did to get their sound, just my opinion.
Quote by MasterofSouls
Eh, I dunno 500-600 bucks, once I get a job I guess

Quote by OliOsbourne
not a megadeth fan so I'm not familiar with his tone but a peavey 6505+ is good for metal

not within his price range...
but that is a great amp.

you could probably get a combo within that price range that would be decent. Depends what brand really.. fender are great for cleans, marshall are good for stuff like power-metal and hard rock....
depends what you want out of it.

i'm pretty sure there is a template to fill out when asking for opinion on amps, if you go do that then repost this thread somebody is bound to come along with exactly what you need...
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
not within his price range...
but that is a great amp.

you could probably get a combo within that price range that would be decent. Depends what brand really.. fender are great for cleans, marshall are good for stuff like power-metal and hard rock....
depends what you want out of it.

i'm pretty sure there is a template to fill out when asking for opinion on amps, if you go do that then repost this thread somebody is bound to come along with exactly what you need...

the 6505+ 112 is 599 online
I got mine for like 480 on ebay. that's WELL in his price range. Worth a play test at your local GC or whatever
the feeling you get when u play something slowly for 2 weeks, then playing amazingly clean as fast as you want, seriously motivates me every single ****ing time i do it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
the feeling you get when u play something slowly for 2 weeks, then playing amazingly clean as fast as you want, seriously motivates me every single ****ing time i do it

Off topic?? O.o
Quote by Zerox8610
Off topic?? O.o

It's GG&A, there's no such thing as "on-topic"
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
It's GG&A, there's no such thing as "on-topic"

thanks for the backup
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Zerox8610
Off topic?? O.o

how? hes talking about motivation and thats what motivates me. pretty related i'de say
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED