I am having a hard time understanding this. Can someone please give me a detailed explaination?
Quote by MaddMann274
I am having a hard time understanding this. Can someone please give me a detailed explaination?

Do you know about diatonic scales? (The natural major and minor scales with repeating 7-note cycles or octaves)

The circle of 5ths starts with Cmaj and it's relative minor (Amin-no flats and no sharps). The next one down is the Gmaj/Emin scales, which has 1 sharp (F#) and G is the 5th note in the Cmaj scale. You then find the 5th note in the Gmaj scale, which is D. Dmaj/Bmin is next in line, with 2 sharps (F#/C#). This goes on to the major scales A-E-B-F#-Db-Ab-Eb-Bb-F-and finally back to C. When learning a new instrument, you usually learn scales in this order. My first instrument was a piano and in my opinion this is the best way to learn scales because it's very visual and intuitive. If you have a piano or keyboard, play the scales out and you'll understand. Guitar is a lot different, and a lot harder to learn theory on in my opinion...
Quote by shimeister
Do you know about diatonic scales? (The natural major and minor scales with repeating 7-note cycles or octaves)

The circle of 5ths starts with Cmaj and it's relative minor (Amin-no flats and no sharps). The next one down is the Gmaj/Emin scales, which has 1 sharp (F#) and G is the 5th note in the Cmaj scale. You then find the 5th note in the Gmaj scale, which is D. Dmaj/Bmin is next in line, with 2 sharps (F#/C#). This goes on to the major scales A-E-B-F#-Db-Ab-Eb-Bb-F-and finally back to C. When learning a new instrument, you usually learn scales in this order. My first instrument was a piano and in my opinion this is the best way to learn scales because it's very visual and intuitive. If you have a piano or keyboard, play the scales out and you'll understand. Guitar is a lot different, and a lot harder to learn theory on in my opinion...

I do know the diatonic scales.
I am learning this for my Grade 1 music exam. Everything else seems pretty easy. But when I saw this I was like "WTF ".

btw, in order to find the next scale, you take the fifth of the scale you're at right? like.............
The order will be...........

C, G, , D, A, E....... etc?

Right? o.O
Quote by MaddMann274
I am learning this for my Grade 1 music exam. Everything else seems pretty easy. But when I saw this I was like "WTF ".

btw, in order to find the next scale, you take the fifth of the scale you're at right? like.............

Right? o.O

Yessir, and each scale you add one more sharp until you hit F# Major (6 sharps) then it goes to 5 flats, 4 flats, 3flats....back to C
Quote by MaddMann274

Right? o.O

This is correct. If you wanna find out which keys get how many sharps. You start with C, and for every fifth you go up, you increase a sharp. C is 0, G is 1, D is 2, etc etc. The opposite is for the flats. You go up in 4ths, or down in fifths, same thing. Everytime you do one of those, you add a flat. So a 4th from C is F, 1 flat. Then a 4th from that, Bb, is 2 flats. etc.

What else is confusing about it? I may be able to help

Quote by shimeister
Yessir, and each scale you add one more sharp until you hit F# Major (6 sharps) then it goes to 5 flats, 4 flats, 3flats....back to C

you can have C# which is 7 sharps. And depending how the writer wants to notate, he may ask for D#major (as opposed to Eb Major). which if following the pattern is 9 #s. Sure, this doesn't really make sense. But itd end up being correct. D# E# Fx (double sharp, counts as 2 of the 9) F# A# B# Cx. It isn't common, but not something to rule out.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Last edited by Zinnie at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by MaddMann274

Right? o.O

How are you doing a Grade 1 Music exam without having grasped the material first?

Best,

Sean