Hey, i have a discussion topic. How do you think writing your solos for a song you're either covering or made, will affect your total improvisation technique? Kinda advanced question !
I don't know how much writing a solo would really increase improvisational skills other than strengthening your knowledge of theory and the fretboard along with your technique.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
I don't know how much writing a solo would really increase improvisational skills other than strengthening your knowledge of theory and the fretboard along with your technique

that
Sometimes I'll stick to a certain solo in a cover or original because I like the way it sounds and helps the song. Other times it's a straight improvisation.

However if you improvise EVERY solo, they'll usually all turn out the same as you run out of ideas and fall into old habits. Sometimes just thinking out a solo ahead of time will help more, like "over this I might just play a repeating catchy riff instead of wank off", or "at this point I'll just do some arpeggios until the end". To improve improvising, you'll just have to practice improvising more. I also find though that if you write a lot of solos, you'll recognise certain chord progressions that you'll be able to use pre-written parts for portions of the solos which can be very helpful.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I think as I write solos or indeed any lead part it kind of clicks into my brain how to make that sound. Then if I am improvising I can use that sound/feel.

I spent a lot of time, when I first started, improvising over songs and I think that helped my writing of solos and lead parts.

I guess maybe it goes both ways.
When I play self written solos I usually get the general structure down, but always change up something. That way it's partially improvised, but still sounds good.
i generally write a solo by hearing exactly what i want to play in my head, and then playing it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.