Hey, i decided to call this thread that because i wanted to discuss which is better to focus on your technique. My preference is learning songs at the same time, but something still tells me that focusing on just that bit of the song until you get it right is better. I don't know. Any suggestions?
It's good to have something to apply those techniques too. It gives you that feeling that you're progressing and you're learning something from it. For instance, I've been working on string skipping a lot lately. I have some routines to go through when I practice it, but at the same time, I'm playing Joseph Merrick by Mastodon which you can play with a pick or by finger picking, but I'm using a pick. I can tell that I'm improving based on just how much easier the song has been getting, but the practice routines I do are so purely focused on string skipping, that it's the most efficient way to improve my skill. It's important to have those drills and have something to apply it to. That rewarding feeling of progress on a song can really help sustain your interest in improving.
Well, i've been playing for 2 1/2 - 3 years, i know alot of techniques. The only one i can't do is sweep picking. How many songs do I know all the way through?? Zero. For some reason as soon as i start playing a song, all the techniques i know go out the window
I would rather take the time to write your own tunes.even create your own tunes to practice to.unless covers are your thing that is
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
I would rather take the time to write your own tunes.even create your own tunes to practice to.unless covers are your thing that is

This is what I do, considering that Im not really into alot of music that involves like serious sweeps or any other super advanced techniques like that. Which is pretty cool because then Im bringing neo-classical shred guitar to the punk scene, which Im pretty sure no one else has ever done legitimately. Also, what the other dude said was really good advice, find a song that involves the techniques youre learning, because I know how boring it can be just learning a technique by itself, something that you havent ever just listened to in a song that gets you all psyched with rythms and such. But with techniques you do have to give the basic technique itself alot of practice and really study it inside and out. For example I had given sweep picking sooo much practice and even looked up tips on every component that is involved in it everywhere on the internet and in magazines before I started getting really good at it.
Songs all the way.

I play songs because the way I see it, learning a technique is pointless if the music I like never uses it. I don't like a whole lot of Mark Knopfler or Jeff Beck stuff, so I never really built up my hybrid picking or finger picking skills. However, I really enjoy Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and Me, so I have really practiced the Hell out of my alternate picking and sweeping skills just by playing their songs.

There is no reason to learn a skill without context. I see threads in here all the time asking for sweep shapes and that kind of garbage. When prompted, the people want to learn how to sweep or whatever so they can play a song. Why they don't just learn the song and practice there is beyond me. There has to be context to what you're learning, otherwise, you don't expose yourself to the practical application of the technique.

Going off of that, there is a reason that a lot of shredders simply run up and down scales and arpeggios - they've taught themselves to do that. That's what they know because that's what they've practiced. If a guy practices alternate picking on the same minor scale run, he's going to be very familiar with that run, but not how to use the notes in there in a meaningful way. Consequently, he's going to be very set in his way of applying that scale. And because he doesn't know any songs, he doesn't know how other people have applied it so he can't 'aquire' their methods to add to his repetoire.
Mix of both.

Play songs to learn music, if you reach something you can't do in a song then slow it down, isolate it and make an exercise of it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree
I always learn songs with techniques that I want to focus on. A very good way to learn both technuiqes and songs at the same time. But sometimes I also do some exercises, it depends on the situation.

Go for a variation
I've been playing over 6 years, and I've learned several techniques, and I'm not the greatest at any of them, but I know enough to write or play almost anything I want, so I would focus more on the song rather than your technique, although technique is important, it's not everything.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Mix of both.

absolutely.

listen, as far as technique and theory and things like that go -- the more you know, the better off you are. period.

however, the primary objective to knowing theory and having great technique are to play music -- so ultimately it's going to be about the music.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.