I've been trying to record with Audacity. I have a peavey vyper 75watt, and a realtek microphone. I first used my usb cord to hook my amp to comp, but the sound clipped too much when I recorded.

Now I use this mic, but I have problems.

Say I play a song all the way through and record it, when I play it back after recording it, it sounds great for 5 seconds, then it sounds like someone ripped out my amp cord. Then it somewhat comes back and sounds great, then it drops off again. Random periods during the recording where I can't hear anything at all. But it sounds great for a little while!

I've experimented in placing it in different places next to the amp, varying lengths and it doesnt help.

Funny thing is, when I record clean guitar, it works perfectly. No problems. Just when I use distortion it seems like the mic can only record for a minute, and then it stops and drops off. Any help or other suggestions for recording guitar?

thanks

Dolakkk
(Death to Stepco12345)
First, try a different recording/editting software. If that doesn't work then you need a better mic.
Quote by Penis_wanker
hey guyz...i have a problem with my dick as i am trying to put inside the guitar input jack.

Its very small but it still doesn't fit in.

Can anyone give me some advice how i can put my dick in?

I am very horny right now

Cheers!
I highly doubt this is audacity's fault. What volume did you have your amp and input settings when you DI'd it? If it clips, that's always the first thing I check. Are you sure your cables aren't too close together and that your jacks are tight in? If all else fails and you end up running out of options, I think it would be safe to say your sound card's buggered.
Ive had this happen before bro. The only thing that can help this is to turn down the mic volume. Whenever my sound goes out from distortion its usually because its too loud. Try that and see if it works, But its a free program, remember that
I'd recommend using another program anyways. Check Reaper out, I have it and it's an amazing program. It's not free though which sucks.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I didn't check the mic volume, but I will thanks. I'll keep playing with it before I try another program. Just busts my bollocks.

Thanks for the help
just fyi, the recording quality from a vyper using USB out will always be pretty bad regardless
Make sure any effects on the Realtek are turned off. They're set up for children's karaoke, with echo, poor-quality noise removal, etc.
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
I'd recommend using another program anyways. Check Reaper out, I have it and it's an amazing program. It's not free though which sucks.

After the 30 day trial period, REAPER basically just becomes nagware, so you can still continue to use the program completely free without actually buying a license. Just saying.
I'm gonna give Audacity a go. What the heck, I can always delete it!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by s31770
just fyi, the recording quality from a vyper using USB out will always be pretty bad regardless

I have a vypyr tube 60 and when I record it using the USB it sounds fine.
MY band has recorded 3 albums on audacity, and the last track we did had shockingly good qaulity. I agree with the other user, your mic is too loud and your distortion is also too loud. Also, recording USB has never ended well for me. We feed our Audix mic through a mixer, and using those redwhite audio cables (blanked on name just now) plug that into your comps mic jack.
Audacity can have a lot of power to it. Go to my profiles MP3's and listen to Macabre and youll hear what you can get from audacity.

another thing, recording works best when the mic is turned down and the amo is turned up. ALso, after recording, highlight the blank area of your song where there is hiss and use the noise removal effect. Just hit get noise profile, then highlight the whole track and hit noise removal again and click ok, and wala, hiss gone. Be careful thoguh, too much and you lose some EQ.