Hello there all I'm thinking about getting a new bass in the next few months. I think that I would be a better bass player playing a short scale since I was a guitar player. Now my question is what is the best short scale bass for around $600-$800 USD. I play anything from The Beatles to Green Day.
The one you like the best.

"Best" is very subjective to the individual.

But I wouldn't recommend a short scale for someone coming over from guitar anyway. That's just dumb. I play both and have no trouble making the transition.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I used to be a guitar player too, learned on a full sized bass, moved up to a 35 inch bass. don't go for a short scale just because its short. if you like the tone (for instance the beatles used a short scale) do that. but otherwise just go for a full scale.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Get a Squier '51 P bass, it's got the vintage thump, and the punk bump.
+1 to everyone saying you don't need to limit yourself to short scales just because you're used to a guitars scale length, they sound different then long scales, etc. etc.

If you're set on a short scale though, the nicest short scales you'll likely find in your budget would be the Fender Mustang or a used Gibson SG Bass. Can't really say if one's "better" than the other, those two are like apples and oranges.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I agree with Tostitos. The Mustang or used SG bass are probably the two best SS options in your budget range. Bump your budget up to $900 and you can get a new SG faded bass with a gig bag.

I played electric guitar for 30 years before taking up bass. My first bass was an Ibanez 4-string long scale. Good bass but after I tried a short scale it was just so much more comfortable switching back and forth so I stayed with SS basses. I sold the Ibanez and bought a used Gibson SG bass proving (for me at least) that the 2nd bass should be the keeper. So... dropping $800 on your first bass before you really know what you like and don't like might be getting a little ahead of the game.

Squier just recently released their new Jaguar VM Special Short Scale bass. It is P/J configuration and is being offered initially for $170. I bought one to use as a backup bass and was very impressed with the axe, especially with the neck action and the sound. I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. Might be a good 1st bass for you, I dunno. Check it out:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JagBsVMSSCar/
Definetely check out the Fender Mustang jap reissues,I love mine a lot,but as has been said,don't limit yourself to short scale,especially just because you already play guitar. SS basses tend to have less sustain and definition,making them more thumpy and vintage sounding, obviously good for things like old school pop and blues,but I wouldnt reach for my mustang if I wanted to play slap or aggresive punk. I think a SS is something good to have in your arsenal though,and they are very comfy to play,a lot of my mates are guitarists and they all love jammin on the Mustang becuase of the scale and neck.
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'm a guitar player also but I've learned to bass on a 35in scale bass.

In other word don't limit yourself to those nasty short scale basses,
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Aren't most hofner basses short scale? Those are good...
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Its easier going from the guitar to bass then from the bass to guitar, so i've heard. I'm learning bass as my first instrument and i'm alright... Need more practice. But i can't play a single note on guitar properly xD well... Its a lot harder for me anyway.
Quote by BasSXWarrior
Its easier going from the guitar to bass then from the bass to guitar, so i've heard.
How? Why? Sounds like the kind of dumb thing a guitarist would say
Quote by askrere
How dare you

Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
<3 all things short scale. Here are some faves of mine in your range:

1. Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale (~$200 new) - These are fairly new. Theyere aren't a TON out there, but the few people that HAVE played them speak pretty highly of them. The Squier VM series has been taken pretty seriously by 'those in the know', and the ss Jags are no exception. They have a P/J set-up... a split P pickup in the traditional (?) P bass possition, and a Jazz pickup in the bridge. This gives the ss Jag a lot of tonal options. Also, being a P and J, the upgradabillity of it is pretty deep as well!

2. Squier VM Mustang (~$300 new, later this summer) - Squier is also releasing a VM version of its iconic Mustang Bass!! As it's not out yet, there hasn't been any good review done on one... but from the specs it looks rad! String through body, maple neck, black or sunburst body, and the tried-n-true mini-split-P Mustang pickup.

3. Squier Affinity Bronco (~$120 new) - I am a very vocal fan of the Squier Bronco. It is an INCREDIBLE value for the money. I see them frequently for less than $100, used. Now, stock they are not bad... but they really shine with a pickup swap.... which is easy, as they take a strat sized single coil pickup with ease! I put an SD Hotrailz in mine, and it's become my main gig bass!!

4. SX Jaguar Short Scales (~$140 new) - Check out www.rondomusic.com they have a few styles of basses in the short scale realms. They have a Jaguar short scale in a Jazz pickup style which is, as far as i know, one of the ONLY ways to get a ss Jazz bass, new. They are a polarizing company... but all in all, you get well above $150 in quality and playability with these...

5. Douglas Violin Bass (~$240 new) - Also from Rondomusic, they are the good old Violin bass. I haven't played the Douglas version. But if they are like anything else they sell, you get a bass that's a couple hundred dollars more in quality than what you pay for. I DO like Douglas' color options more than Epi/Hofner, though!

6. Epiphone EB-0 (~$200 new) - I have never been a fan of the Epi renditions of the EB series. The Epi EB-0 is a FAR cry from it's old Gibson counterpart. That said, you can still get a fine bass with a pickup swap. Luckily, the EB-0's can be found for cheap on the used market, but the replacement pickup will end up costing a good amount on its own...

7. Epi Viola Bass (~$300 new) - I DO like Epi's version of the same price-point Hofner. Honestly... i feel like the Epi versions are closer in playability to the mid-level (~$700) Hofner violin basses.

8. Eastwood Classic 4 (~$400 new) - You want a good hollowbody bass at an affordable price? Check out the Eastwood Classic 4. It has that AWESOME old-school Grestch aesthetic, without the price attached to it!

9. Eastwood Hi-Flyer (~$300 new) - Another personal favorite. The Eastwood Hi-Flyer is a copy of the VERY cool looking Mosrite (and later, Univox) basses and guitars of the 60's. The guitars were made famous originally by the surf legends... Dick Dale and The Ventures... but later the Hi-Flyer became famous with Johnny Ramone, and later still with Kurt Cobaine. The Bass version is played by (like almost all Short Scales) a few indie rock types. It hass a very Jazz-like tone to it, but with it's own unique look!

10. USED SHORT SCALE BASSES (~$0 - $??) - Used is ALWAYS a better deal than buying new. There are certainly more standard scale basses than short scale... but there are definetly shorties out there... keep a vigilant eye out for used things land you could easily score something like a Fender Mustang within your price range.

Now, Real Talk:

For what you want to play, ANYTHING will work. There are VERY very few genres where i would suggest one speciffic bass above all others. But for Beatles/Green Day stuff, you can play it on anything. I listed the NEW stuff mainly because you SHOULD just go out and try things yourself. What works for me won;t necessesarily work for you. Good luck!!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I'm a guitarist who wants to go into bass territory. But I'm planning to play it more like a guitar. If you're looking for short-scale basses, you might be interested in a Bass VI. It's the same scale as a short-scale bass but it has guitar string spacing and tuning. That's the easiest transition from guitar to bass. If they fit your musical style, you should check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLqIpDdLYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JC7y_NvWo
Din what do you mean by rondo is a polarizing company? You mean there's a stigma attached?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm a guitarist who wants to go into bass territory. But I'm planning to play it more like a guitar. If you're looking for short-scale basses, you might be interested in a Bass VI. It's the same scale as a short-scale bass but it has guitar string spacing and tuning. That's the easiest transition from guitar to bass. If they fit your musical style, you should check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLqIpDdLYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JC7y_NvWo

True... a Fender Bass VI MIJ Reissue costs something stupid, like $3000 though. I haven't played any, personally... but here are some cheaper versions:

-Schecter Hellcat VI - $600 New
-Various Danelectro Baritones - $100-$1000 Used
-Danelectro Wildthing - $300 New
-Agile Argus 630 - $420 New

Quote by askrere
Din what do you mean by rondo is a polarizing company? You mean there's a stigma attached?

Just simply, that while everyone has their own opinions; people for and against SX basses seem to be more vocal than others.

I'm sure you've seen it... everything from people saying you're going to hell because SX basses are made by child slaves in Chinese sweat shops... to people saying a $100 SX bass is better than Sadowski/Lakland/Fender CS stuff...

In my experience, they are awesome. Budget does not mean bad, like it use to. It just means less expensive... There's no real stigma, and if there is, it's more of a positive one than negative, like "Hell yeah dude! Rock that SX! NOBODY knows how rad they are." Playing an SX tends to imply that you 'know about them' which implies that you frequent bass forums... so if anyone actually DOES recognize an SX, they probably are on the same forums and you'll be instant bro(ette)s. Lame people are gonna be lame regardless, and i've known "Fender snobs" that call $3k custom stuff "cheap Fender knock offs"... just play what feels and sounds good to you.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Jun 28, 2011,
I got you, yea I really wanted one of the Brice beatle basses when it was in stock cause my names Bryce, but never panned out. I would kill for their double cut les paul JR. in TV yellow though. My only issue is the orange necks and the "furian" head stock, just to pointy for me, but with some woodshop know how you could probably have a tele style headstock.

One could also argue having your guitar made by child slaves is an excellent conversation starter.
Last edited by askrere at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by Asa Carter
don't limit youself, the art of bass is playing way down there

is that a insult becase that sucked
PLayed the SS Jag...very good, the neck has a couple of minor issues,if I bought one I'd probs sand it down and refinish it,but the P pu was much better than I expected and it sits pretty nicely,its also sexy as hell looking and a bargain at under £200! Its deffo top of my GAS list right now!! A very good very moddable bass!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"