Anyone have any tips on how to start playing death metal-esque stuff? Like techniques, patterns, scales, etc?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
:/
^^ First response poster clearly has not listened to a lot of modern death metal / tech death/ brutal death, ignore him.

What has worked for me is practicing some songs that you love really slowly, and gradually increase the speed after playing it flawlessly at a slow pace.
Also, learning to fingerpick (if you use your fingers) with three fingers either the Steve DiGiorgio way (ring-middle-index-middle repeat) or the Alex Webster way (ring-middle-index repeat) without overly accentuating one finger and without having an uneven rhythm. It can lead to a much easier way to play high speeds without getting tired.

Edit: Sentence structure.
Last edited by KingOfBlood at Jun 26, 2011,
I already have 3 fingers down with no problems and I'm currently learning (pretty much done) Spirit Crusher by Death which is the easiest of death metal it seems. What about on the writing side of things?
You're further along than "start[ing] to play death metal-esque stuff." : P Frankly, the bass tends to be created concurrently with either the drums or guitars, or after them, in regards to death metal. The only bassist I've ever heard writing songs starting off with the bass is Alex Webster, and usually he writes the guitar lines on his bass as well that he wants the others to play.

I can't be of much use to giving advice for writing, as I have yet to ever sit down and write. I jam to the stuff I love. A lot of Death is good for learning. Bite The Pain and Crystal Mountain were some of the earliest stuff I learned, and lately I've been working on Decrepit Birth. Sorry.
Alright thanks! Anyone else got any other tips?
What scales are used in death metal?
Alot of death metal revolves around minor penatonic IIRC. I may be off though, ive been awake for a long time and it's late.
pinga
Aight I'll look it up. But here's a real question, how do you practice scales to the point where they will actually help your playing? I'll I know to do is memorize the shape and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Question is directed at anyone.
Last edited by Rawshik at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by Rawshik
Aight I'll look it up. But here's a real question, how do you practice scales to the point where they will actually help your playing? I'll I know to do is memorize the shape and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Play different scales, different patterns. And learn chords.

For example, when I warm up I use the A scale. Ill play the A Major scale, followed by that scale in 3rds, followed by that scale in 6ths, followed by two different patterns. It increases your dexterity. You can also play the scale up to the 9th, or fiddle around with chords and learn what notes fit with what, etc.
pinga

Here, I wrote it for you. The first scale is the A scale in a different pattern. The measure right after the 5/4 is the A scale in 3rds. Practice it.
pinga
Okay thank you! I will definitely practice it but I don't get how it will help my playing.
Quote by Rawshik
Okay thank you! I will definitely practice it but I don't get how it will help my playing.

How will anything help your playing?

See? I can do it too.
pinga
Okay I apologize, I will just take your word for it.
Apply the scales really. cb4 said to learn chords; which will make perfect use of learning the scales and intervals. Follow that advice, because it all comes down to which intervals work together really.
If you want to get anywhere with bass, or any instrument, you're going to need to change your attitude about learning new things. Not everything is chuga chuga chuga and fast playing. You'd be surprised how much theory is involved in metal.
pinga
You've got me all wrong Cb4, I understand that theory is great to know and helps with learning and all but many people won't learn any theory and do perfectly fine without it, which is what kinda "unmotivates" me.
Then why ask for scales? Having at least a basic understanding of theory, like chord construction and Interval characteristics will triple the effieciency of your writing.
I asked for scales because I figured if I at least what scale they use, it would help me. I know I should learn theory.
There-in lies your problem. There isn't a magic ''Death-Metal'' scale; Off the top of my head I can think of several songs for almost every possible scale out there. That said, you'll often find that Death metal in particular makes a lot of use of chromatics within the riffs themselves.
I see. Thanks!
A lot (too much) modern death metal stuff is very reliant on the Phrygian mode (as a scale). Learn that, your major scale, your minor scale and then your pentatonics then learn how to apply them.
Jam with people. Start with simple 8th or 16 root notes and start adding in notes/runs from those scales, yiu'll learn what you like and what works and doesn't quick enough.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
So you think I should just start out with just generic root note stuff like how Amon Amarth or Dethklok does?
You've got to start simple before you can do the complicated stuff. Jumping in at the deep end will, more often than not, enforce bad technique, or just drown you (Yay for pool analogies).
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Rawshik
So you think I should just start out with just generic root note stuff like how Amon Amarth or Dethklok does?

Yes. Sometimes that is all a song needs anyway.

Quote by Nutter_101
You've got to start simple before you can do the complicated stuff. Jumping in at the deep end will, more often than not, enforce bad technique, or just drown you (Yay for pool analogies).

And this.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Alright I'll give it a try! If I can find some people that will actually play death metal. Will also work on those scales, I promise!
Also, its an excuse to get a 6 string bass
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
5 is good enough for me.
Quote by LastSlayerKing
Also, its an excuse to get a 6 string bass

Well, tech-death maybe.

Quote by Rawshik
5 is good enough for me.

I still can't decide between 4 and 5, I own both and I've always gigged with my 5 but my 4 seems to be geting all the attention recently.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Rawshik
You've got me all wrong Cb4, I understand that theory is great to know and helps with learning and all but many people won't learn any theory and do perfectly fine without it, which is what kinda "unmotivates" me.

Do you want to be like everybody else or do you want to be the educated guy who knows his ass from his elbow? That alone should motivate you. Don't settle for less.
pinga
Yes, you are correct.
Just picking up the bass and slamming random notes will help your playing. Doing scales and stuff helps you learn the fretboard. Once you do that, you can play pretty much anything
Alex Webster is one of, if not the best bassist in death metal.

He knows his scales.

There's your motivation.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Most modern bands abuse the harmonic minor scale.. So learning that scale would be a good idea

The thing is, scales are just another tool in your arsenal. My approach to it is, that if you know the scales, you can ignore them even more effectively
Alright thanks for the comments guys! I will work on my scales.