Page 1 of 2
Okay I have been playing guitar for 5 years. I absolutely love it and never want to stop.

the thing is, I have to move into a apartment soon. which means I cannot play loud anymore, which means no tube amps. I DO NOT want to go back to solid state, it will take all the enjoyment I have playing away from me.

If I can't play a tube amp I will have no enjoyment playing anymore. What the hell do I do?
Buy a cheapish interface and Peavey Re-Valver. Its got good quality amp sims, and it shouldn't set you back too much.
The Digidesign Eleven Rack would be great too, you can get them new for about $700 if you look, and they're one of the best hardware modellers you can get, after the AxeFX. That price includes a bunch of Digidesign software too, including ProTools, for recording. The 11R works as an interface as well, if you want to mic up a real amp later on for recording.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 26, 2011,
My 5 watt tube is still loud as f*ck so I wouldn't recommend that if you have to be quiet.
I just bought a Line 6 UX2 and so far it does what it should do and I am pretty happy with it. It requires a bit of tweaking but after that you can get decent tones out of it.
And as others said you might want to look at the Eleven rack if you have an higher budget.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by littlephil
Buy a cheapish interface and Peavey Re-Valver. Its got good quality amp sims, and it shouldn't set you back too much.

Boo-ya. +1... one of the cheaper suggestions.

Quote by littlephil
The Digidesign Eleven Rack would be great too, you can get them new for about $700 if you look, and they're one of the best hardware modellers you can get, after the AxeFX. That price includes a bunch of Digidesign software too, including ProTools, for recording. The 11R works as an interface as well, if you want to mic up a real amp later on for recording.

These are all very good suggestions.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Amp sims or lunchbox tube amps. Done.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Get a Blackstar HT-1. It's a one-watt tube combo with a headphone out and cabinet modeling. Or if you want something complicated buy a studio preamp unit, a cab sim unit, and plug that right into a set of monitors. I mean, who doesn't want a Mesa Triaxis?
whatever you do , dont buy a low wattage amp just because you want to play at low volumes, even with a 5w tube you cant get powertube distortion at low enough volume levels so theres NO need at all

also if a amp has a volume knob you can use whatever you want, like ppl seem to not understand ^^ ive used 50w and 100w and 150w tube amps in my apartment with no problem at all, a good tube amp is still way better than solid states even at low volumes
but with a bad tube amp (which most of the low wattage ones are) youd be better of with an axe fx
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by Jaekae
whatever you do , dont buy a low wattage amp just because you want to play at low volumes, even with a 5w tube you cant get powertube distortion at low enough volume levels so theres NO need at all

also if a amp has a volume knob you can use whatever you want, like ppl seem to not understand ^^ ive used 50w and 100w and 150w tube amps in my apartment with no problem at all, a good tube amp is still way better than solid states even at low volumes
but with a bad tube amp (which most of the low wattage ones are) youd be better of with an axe fx

This this this, 1,000% this.

I play a 50w amp in my apartment, and granted, we've got good sound proofing, but I somehow manage. You can too.

Just keep things low.
Quote by Jaekae

This post nails it. Volume knob. It's there for a reason. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and I play on my 120W tube half stack almost every day.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Seriously I used a peavey 5150 and my mesa rectoverb in an apt.
I found it more satisfying to play them at low volumes than a ss or modeler.
I still use my mesa at low volumes even at night when my 2 year old son is sleeping.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
What do you guys mean volume knob? Tubes sound bad at bedroom levels

They sound better than most ss or modelers imo
What amp do you own now??
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by slipknot_420
They sound better than most ss or modelers imo
What amp do you own now??

50 watt jcm 900
Sell everything and buy a Zoom and a Schecter. Ultimate tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by steven seagull
What happened to your Twin Reverb?

I call troll...

Bai a SpiderIII.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
They don't sound that bad at bedroom levels. Just get an attenuator
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
If I can't play a tube amp I will have no enjoyment playing anymore. What the hell do I do?
Try knitting lessons.
Quote by fly135
Try knitting lessons.

Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Play unplugged. It'll help your technique.

That is all.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Just get a low wattage tube (like 1 watt or something) such as:

- Blackstar HT-1 (1W)
- ZVex Nano (0.5W)
- Rock Block (1W)
- Blackheart Killer Ant (1W)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
This thread.. the whole reason amps have dirty channels is for people like you, in apartments
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Iso-cab? Run line out from the cab to whatever audio interface you like and monitor it through headphones. Can crank that tube amp without blowing the windows out then.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
If you're into recording, get the elven rack and when you have the ability to crank a tube amp, reamp your recordings through that.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
+1 for an isolation cab with either headphones or monitors.

Or just turn the volume down. You can easily play a 100 watt amp at apartment volumes so long as it's got a master volume. Yeah it won't sound as good as when it's cranked. But it's still going to sound better than nearly any other option apart from something like the AxeFX.

Alternately, you can also use a plexiglass shield in front of your amp to absorb some of the volume. You can also work wonders with foam or egg cartons.
Get a keyboard that does all kinds of different instruments. That way you can just press the keys and get a guitar sound! WOW THAT IS AMAZING!!!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Get a keyboard that does all kinds of different instruments. That way you can just press the keys and get a guitar sound! WOW THAT IS AMAZING!!!

Ha, I have a keyboard that does that. It sounds nothing like a real guitar.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Helpful advice: invest in a Bugera V5(or any other small amp with a power attenuator) so you can turn the wattage down to get a cranked tone at bedroom levels. I recommend the bugera, even though it is around $30 more expensive than its competitors because it has a headphone out. Most small, cheap tube amps dont.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by hoosierxhoosier

Ignorance!

You don't need tubes to sound good, and you also don't need tubes to be loud to sound good. I live in an apartment, and I have an Egnater Renegade halfstack. Guess what I do when I play at home?

Turn the volume down.

And if you are determined to play loud, and want something High Quality, check out the Axe FX, and play with headphones.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
tbh i didn't read the whole thread, but iso cab mic'd ran into an interface and listen with studio moniters/headphones?

just a thought. i think jet city makes a relatively cheap iso cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by littlephil

That, absolutely that. But believe me, the better the drivers for it the lower the latency
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 27, 2011,
Page 1 of 2