I've had my eye on both these amps for a while and was wondering what you all thought of them. I play mainly death metal. I've tried the Dual Rec but never got the chance to try the 3120 (sold as soon as i saw it). I may be gigging soon if that helps.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I'd go for the dual rec... but that's just my personal preference. Both the amps can do death metal, but its more a preference for the tone of the amps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
They can both do the job, but they're pretty different amps. I'd probably take the Dual Rec over the 3120 for death metal. It's darker, and sounds "Bigger", whereas the 3120 strikes me as being more uppity or energetic.

Sorry for the wonky adjectives, it's late
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dual rec all the way!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Dual rec would be great.
I'd say a boost would be essential for this though but thats no biggy. Boosted rectos are hot.
With the peavey 3120 if its anything like my ultra it wont need one.

Both would be pretty ace at it imo..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 26, 2011,
well do you want to spend $1000 or $1900? I would preffer the dual recto, but with a budget the 3120 would do you very well, but like said before the Mesa sounds "bigger". The 3120 is just a rebranded XXX with el34 stock insted of the 6l6 if that helps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Personally, I'd take the 3120 for death metal Its much tighter and has more clarity (assuming were talking about 3 channel Rectos). The Recto is definitely not an amp I'd think of when it comes to death metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Personally, I'd take the 3120 for death metal Its much tighter and has more clarity (assuming were talking about 3 channel Rectos). The Recto is definitely not an amp I'd think of when it comes to death metal.

This is kind of what I was thinking as well. Maybe consider a XXX II.... anyone know if it's ever coming out?. I have to say though, when I had my Single Recto it was pretty epic in stereo wilt my JSX.
Quote by ChrisBW
This is kind of what I was thinking as well. Maybe consider a XXX II.... anyone know if it's ever coming out?. I have to say though, when I had my Single Recto it was pretty epic in stereo wilt my JSX.

Never even heard of the XXX II? The 3120 is just a XXX with EL-34s in the power section.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
They had it at Winter NAMM but it seems kind of MIA. The XXX II is basically replacing the JSX since Satch is going to Marshall, it's going to be about $1400 street I think.
Peavey really ****ed up with naming their amps. I really hope someone up there is facepalming right now.

3120 = XXX w/ EL34's stock
XXX II = renamed/rehoused JSX

They should have just named the XXX II the 3120 II and left it at that. The people who aren't the wiser would have never been the wiser. But now people are probably like
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X