Hey guys,

Lately I've been doing a lot of song writing where I scribble down little progressions and riffs I come up with and try to work with them. Anyway, I've gotten very little done.

My issue is that if I've come up with a chord progression I like, I cannot, for the life of me, come up with a lead guitar. However, I CAN write a lead guitar and then write rhythm to go with it. It's extremely frustrating to have an awesome chord progression and not be able to do anything with it.

Do you happen to have any tips for such an issue?

Thanks!
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Check what notes you use in those chords and try to play with those all over fretboard.. improvise..
I remember Dave Weiner saying on his youtube channel that first writing lead lines ends up way better.
I don't like that tbh and it doesn't work for me but if it works for you do it!
Also make your phrasing somewhat melodic except if you're just in a regular metal/rock band and this is the only moment where the guitarist is like '''**** yeah I'm the show, **** the singer.'',Then you CAN put in some shredding.
Play the chord progression, then hum a melody as if someone was singing vocals to it. If the melody works, play it on guitar, and go from there All great solos start with a hum.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Watch some of Marty Friedman's videos, he has a lot of good advice on this and playing in general

Well, I'm not really aiming at a solo. My style is very similar to that of Rise Against. I like subtle lead guitar that doesn't distract from the vocals. I can't even come up with a decent sounding octave riff (i.e. x2x4xx). Not moving along so well for me. =/
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Quote by DaysofGrace
Well, I'm not really aiming at a solo. My style is very similar to that of Rise Against. I like subtle lead guitar that doesn't distract from the vocals. I can't even come up with a decent sounding octave riff (i.e. x2x4xx). Not moving along so well for me. =/

Sometimes things are sounding decent, but you don't like it yourself.
Listen to Dream Theater uuuhm I believe the title is under the moon.
From what I've heard it's non diatonic so see what's happening there.
Where you should pay atention to at non diatonic is these: the parallel harmonic minor/major the parallel melodic major/minor, parallel natural minor, and if it's a neighbooring key in the cycle of fifths.
So break that down and see if any of these are borowed from above.
Then you could experiment yourself.