I play with a couple different people, and never have much difficulty. Right now my best friend, is playing drums with me playing guitar and singing. I/we are trying to be a mostly originals band, and luckily he's into my garage rock style. The problem is he has no sense of dynamics or "feel" for a song. Don't get me wrong he can make some serious beats for a guy whose just played for a little bit over a year, it's just he gets into this mode where, he gets faster and faster and louder and louder, and in the end he doesn't realize I've stopped playing or moved to a quiet part, he just pounds the shit out of the kit. I've played bass and guitar for 5 years, and drum when I can since the sets at my house. I am kind of a musical control freak, but if I don't think this is just in my head. It's really detrimental because songs sound stupider as he speeds up and we have a hard time practicing, because he's only free evenings and nights mostly, and he plays to loud. I try talking to him about it, and he came up with a list of reasons why he wasn't to blame, including me playing to loud not knowing when songs transition (this is partly true as they are mostly new) but if he's not sure he could always quiet up and listen.

Is there some kind of way of demonstrating to him how not everything needs to be earth shattering. maybe example songs or drummers to listen to. He's good just I guess a belligerent diamond in the raw.

Summary, friend/new drummer can't understand dynamics and needs to be forced to see the light
Hmm, I'm a drummer too, I tend to tense up and go louder only if it's the climax of the song and all...

Get him to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_upKPnaH7Q

This is an extremely hard to play song for a drummer, yet as you hear it's like a "chillout" genre... so "hard" doesn't have to be some brutal shit for a drummer, also, beating the shit ouf of the drums is a fast way to losing stamina and screwing everything up, you must keep it cool and stable.

Drummers' primary goal is to keep the rhythm not the volume.

You should explain to him that playing drums is not like boxing, you need stamina and technique, not muscle.
Last edited by Zeletros at Jun 26, 2011,
Drummers' primary goal is to keep the rhythm not the volume.

I disagree. Its EVERYONE's job to keep the timing rhythm, although yes, the drum and bass do the most.

I feel that a drummer's primary role is the dynamics.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by isaacmiranda7
I disagree. Its EVERYONE's job to keep the timing rhythm, although yes, the drum and bass do the most.

I feel that a drummer's primary role is the dynamics.

That's secondary, EVERYONE must focus on the drums for the rhythm, a drummer doesn't look unto bassist to keep the rhythm, it's the opposite.
as a drummer, i do the earth shattering all the time, but i know when i need to control it. all i do is try and go with the song and primarily keep rhythm.. earth shattering is about the funnest thing a drummer can do though
Record the end result and play it back for him. When he realizes that it sounds like crap, you can talk about how to fix it. If he thinks it sounds fine, then all the talking in the world will not motivate him to fix something when he sees nothing to fix.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yea, I'll show him that video. To give you an example, we're covering dunwich by electric wizard but less heavy, if you notice the drums even in EW's version never get outstandingly heavy or fast, and even have a nice escalating jangly intro. When we play he plays twice my volume, and probably 4 notes to my 1
recording and playing back what you record is the best idea, you might both be surprised.

You don't mention the bass player, he and the drummer should be working together. If you don't have a full band yet then you probably need to go with the flow for a little longer.

He is not very experienced, it isn't easy and learning to hold back on the drums is difficult even for intermediate drummers. Keep it from getting personal and just stick to one or two bits of a song to work on at any given practice. Give the guy a break, he'll get better in time.
The guy's just not very experienced. One of the more advanced technical aspects of music is dynamic control and knowing where to go with the song and other people you're playing with. He is just too focused on making sure he's playing the beats right and what not to be conscious of things like dynamics and tempos during the songs. With time, if he keeps practice, this will improve.