Hello, UG community!
So, I've got a pretty crappy amp (Fender Frontman 15R...go ahead, laugh) and it's
noisy, especially with my distorsion pedal (EHX Pocket Metal Muff). I want a good noise gate but I don't know which one I should get : Boss NS-2 or Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger? Also, are there any other good ones in the price range?

tl;dr

Boss NS-2 or EH Hum Debugger?

Ps : please don't recommend the ISP Decimator, because it's not available where i live.
sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place, i'm new in here.
the isp decimator is seriously worth finding if possible, but out of those 2 i'd 100% get the ns-2.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
inb4 new amp-...damn it.
i know i seriously need a new amp, but i don't have enough cash...
anyway, MXR m135 smart gate anybody?
For the price of a noise gate you could actually get an amp which, even if it's still a solid state/modelling amp, will have the high gain tones already, like a Peavey Vypyr.
It also has a noise gate built in.
Get the NS-2 and be done with it. Buying amps with built-in crap is cheezy. Everyone knows that when you start combining functions into a single unit, the quality isn't nearly as good. Buying a dedicated noise gate will be much better than buying one in a multi-effects pedal or one that's built-in to an amp. If you're serious about music, buy the NS-2.

Edit: The NS-2 is $109.00 at Sweetwater. Which decent amp are you going to buy for that amount that includes a noise gate AND sounds decent? I'm not aware of any amps at that price that I'd even consider plugging one of my guitars into.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 26, 2011,
the MXR is a great noise gate, better than the EHX or Boss. but I have heard nothing but good things about the ISP.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, noise gates even in decent amps are a bit insufficient IMHO. Even the noise gate in my peavey JSX isn't as good as the Boss NS-2. You'll be happier in the end with a good one, and $110.00 US is a cheap price to pay to not have to listen to your $2,000.00 amp hiss all fu@&en day.....grrrr.
buy the noise gate that prevents your amp from making noise and forces you to buy a new amp
Thank you all for your replies! I'll test both the ns-2 and the MXR one tomorrow and see which one I like better.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Get the NS-2 and be done with it. Buying amps with built-in crap is cheezy. Everyone knows that when you start combining functions into a single unit, the quality isn't nearly as good. Buying a dedicated noise gate will be much better than buying one in a multi-effects pedal or one that's built-in to an amp. If you're serious about music, buy the NS-2.

Edit: The NS-2 is $109.00 at Sweetwater. Which decent amp are you going to buy for that amount that includes a noise gate AND sounds decent? I'm not aware of any amps at that price that I'd even consider plugging one of my guitars into.

Vypyr 15
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Vypyr 15

/thread

Seriously, if you want a quiet high gain tone on a budget that's your amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have heard good and bad things about evey pedal mentioned in this forum. It's a matter of personal preference... Otherwise the debate would go on forever. The EHX hum debugger is not a noise gate! People commonly confuse as one. It's job is to eliminate the HUM from single coil and or noisy pick ups. It simply removes the hum/ annoying buzz from your pick ups without removing any tone of your guitar. Infact it makes my tone more clear and amp sound more like a tube amp even though it's a solid state.

You are recommended by EHX to have the pedal first in your pedal chain and when I say first I mean from guitar to amp. Therefore there is no way that the hum debugger is a noise gate, noise gates eliminate unwanted noise from pedal feedback and are generally put last in your pedal chain.
I use a fender American special strat. And it's tone is amazing , however the pickups are buzzy and I can't stand the buzz. Despite finding the right spot I the room to stand so the pickups dot give feedback , I bought lithe him debugger so I would no longer have to deal with this issue . It does not make your guitar tone sound warm and fat like most humbucker pickups which is why it's a great pedal. Single coils = loud and bright tone. Con= hum. Humbucker= con= warm fat sound NOT good for reggae. Pro: no hum.

Hope this helps
Jimmy
Quote by Goodstashhkr3w
I have heard good and bad things about evey pedal mentioned in this forum. It's a matter of personal preference... Otherwise the debate would go on forever. The EHX hum debugger is not a noise gate! People commonly confuse as one. It's job is to eliminate the HUM from single coil and or noisy pick ups. It simply removes the hum/ annoying buzz from your pick ups without removing any tone of your guitar. Infact it makes my tone more clear and amp sound more like a tube amp even though it's a solid state.

You are recommended by EHX to have the pedal first in your pedal chain and when I say first I mean from guitar to amp. Therefore there is no way that the hum debugger is a noise gate, noise gates eliminate unwanted noise from pedal feedback and are generally put last in your pedal chain.
I use a fender American special strat. And it's tone is amazing , however the pickups are buzzy and I can't stand the buzz. Despite finding the right spot I the room to stand so the pickups dot give feedback , I bought lithe him debugger so I would no longer have to deal with this issue . It does not make your guitar tone sound warm and fat like most humbucker pickups which is why it's a great pedal. Single coils = loud and bright tone. Con= hum. Humbucker= con= warm fat sound NOT good for reggae. Pro: no hum.

Hope this helps
Jimmy

So you're saying if I use this Hum Debugger though my tube amp, I'll get the double tube tone?!
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Robbgnarly
the MXR is a great noise gate, better than the EHX or Boss. but I have heard nothing but good things about the ISP.

Read that as
Quote by Robbgnarly
the MXR is a great noise gate, better than the EHX or Boss. but I have heard nothing good about the ISP.

But really, if I were you, I'd go out of my way to get the ISP... Out of curiosity, where do you live, anyways?
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
I just ordered one of these last night by MXR ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/mxr-m-135-smart-gate-pedal/151112000000000 ) I had a similar thread like your's a while back and since the ISP costed too much for my budget the people of UG said to get the MXR.

I'd say get the MXR
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Vypyr 15

^This. You can find one used for possibly less than a noise gate (depending on where you are located). This will blow your mind compared to the frontman. I just dont see the point in spending so much more money on pedals than your amp is actually worth. Not giving you hell over your amp, I just think you would be much happier if you upgraded your amp for the time being even if it is another practice amp. The vypyr is fantastic for the money. Depending on what you will be playing maybe look into a Fender Mustang as well.
Quote by IC400Iceman
I just dont see the point in spending so much more money on pedals than your amp is actually worth.

Seriously??? I have three amps, and only one is a cheapy. That said, my pedals still cost more than either of them, for that matter, they cost more than both amps combined. Even if I trimmed my pedal set down to just what I use on a normal basis, they'd still outcost my most expensive amp. If you use pedals to shape your sound, you're going to introduce unwanted noise into the signal. The best way to deal with it is a good noise gate. The improvement in sound quality will well outweigh the cost of a noise gate. And it can be used with any amp.

The amount of money you spend on ANY item that affects your tone is money well spent. PUPS, pedals, amps, high end gee-tars . All well spent IMHO.
Quote by IbanezBossShred

The amount of money you spend on ANY item that affects your tone is money well spent. PUPS, pedals, amps, high end gee-tars . All well spent IMHO.

But have you ever heard the buzzy distorted tone that comes from a Frontman 15? It's awful. One of my friends used a cheap Digitech Grunge pedal on the clean channel that made it sound better than the distorted tone.
Quote by Sputnik1
But have you ever heard the buzzy distorted tone that comes from a Frontman 15? It's awful. One of my friends used a cheap Digitech Grunge pedal on the clean channel that made it sound better than the distorted tone.

For the crappy tone of a Frontman, I can only second the motion for a Vypyr15. The noise gate will only help with pedal and line noise as a rule. It MAY help with SOME amp noise if it is used in the FX loop and the noise is from the pre-amp section. And then, I doubt it would help much. Noise gates I think are mostly aimed at pedal noise.