Hi guys and gals...

Im fairly new to the guitar world and cant play to save my life (ok thats not true) but find the mechanical and electronic side of things fairly simply and incredibly interesting..

been learning all i can just at home... and have to say i have my LP set up perfectly at this point... but have the neck pickup cutting in and out once and awhile so decided to finally crack the back plate off this new guitar and see what im dealing with... also taking a look around for the 18v mod in the future

as you can see from the picture.... that splice taped up is what im not sure of... its a Epihpone Prophecy LP EX with EMG's.... its not a "cheap" guitar but i know its not the greatest... but it was bought used off musicians friend so cant be sure what someone has done or tried to do... or is that just stock epiphone wiring?
Attachments:
IMG-20110626-00002.jpg
ya no kidding.... i also have a epi lp special 2.... its cheap but its wiring is much better...
but its also got passive pickups... just have no clue if this added mess is because of the EMG's... they did come with the guitar from the factory but maybe they suck at wiring them in.. lol
looks like something I might have wired, I'm just about that messy.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
If that's stock wiring someone should have a little chat with Epiphone.
Is it soldered together or is the tape holding it?

I definately don't think it's stock wiring as the wire guages are different and the whole tape thing...
..I was watching my death.
i believe it is soldered under the electrical tape....

if someone hasnt done something to this... there is only one thing i can think of...
Epiphone mass produces these things... but the prophecy line has multiple PU options... maybe they only have one harness pre-made then add in the active pups as an afterthought..
blah this is bugging me.... part of me just wants to rip it all out and rewire the whole damn thing... but in reality, my soldering experience is with copper pipe... lol.... i'd hate to really mess up my baby (yeah my baby is an Epiphone..lol... but it was $700 and looks beautiful) but i dont have any experience with any shop around town to trust anyone else... or pay them... haha

it seems like a fairly simple process tho... perhaps i'll dig into the forums here and see what i can find.... i have the diagram off emg's site
Last edited by PaulBateman at Jun 27, 2011,
soldering isnt really that hard. and if youre careful, even if you mess up it can be undone. IMO its safer to leave a little extra wire than cut it too short. main things to make sure of are that normally visible wood is all covered so you dont accidentally burn it or something, and when soldering make sure you dont touch surrounding wires and start melting random crap

the thing is, if it sounds fine, and you are just thinking about cleaning up wiring, who cares? no one sees it, youre not selling it... what gives?
there is a wiring problem... the 85 in the neck cuts in and out once and awhile... thats what first made me take a look...

and to me it doesnt sound quite right... doesnt have the clarity it should... i dont know how else to describe it... although as i've been getting closer to getting it set-up right, it has been getting better and better... learning as i go... lol... but what i do know is a bundle of spliced wires wreaks havoc on electronics...

i have a pretty good grasp on what is involved, i know how to solder and its a basic wiring diagram... just a little nervous as i havent actually done it before...

but i get your point... given my playing level etc... its not a huge deal... but i laid down a nice chunk of change of it and i want it at its best
and thanks for the reply... i was actually just in your build thread checking out some pics.. just noticed the name... its looking good from what i saw

i love your backyard by the way... haha...
Quote by PaulBateman
and thanks for the reply... i was actually just in your build thread checking out some pics.. just noticed the name... its looking good from what i saw

i love your backyard by the way... haha...

ah well then check your soldering skills on some random wires to make sure youve got it down, and give it a go!
biggest things being to tin your wires first, and dont hold the iron on too long so it melts the shielding up the wire a ways.

and i didnt realize my yard was in the pics too lol!
i have the guitar apart, and now i need longer neck screws, so its stuck sitting there until i can get them =( im not patient enough for this!
It looks like someone bought it, swapped out the pick ups, decided they didn't want to keep it, swapped back to the stock pick ups, and returned it to musician's friend, at which point musician's friend can no longer sale it as new, so they sale it as used to get away with that kind of stuff, hoping you won't take it apart and realize it....

If it's still under warranty, I would give them a call about it, otherwise, rewiring is not that difficult... just watch some youtube videos on it and practice on something else before... I taught myself about 6 months ago, and I've been modding pedals since =)

I bought an American strat used from MF, and it had been advertised that it was in "mint condition"... but when I got it, it looks like they did a paint touch-up around the neck joint, as if someone dinged it during assembly... I also took off the pickguard, I found the paint around the screws had been damaged... it's not really noticeable (unless you look for it) nor does it affect playability, but it's annoying that they don't tell you this stuff upfront >
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by cheeekens
It looks like someone bought it, swapped out the pick ups, decided they didn't want to keep it, swapped back to the stock pick ups, and returned it to musician's friend, at which point musician's friend can no longer sale it as new, so they sale it as used to get away with that kind of stuff, hoping you won't take it apart and realize it....

If it's still under warranty, I would give them a call about it, otherwise, rewiring is not that difficult... just watch some youtube videos on it and practice on something else before... I taught myself about 6 months ago, and I've been modding pedals since =)

I bought an American strat used from MF, and it had been advertised that it was in "mint condition"... but when I got it, it looks like they did a paint touch-up around the neck joint, as if someone dinged it during assembly... I also took off the pickguard, I found the paint around the screws had been damaged... it's not really noticeable (unless you look for it) nor does it affect playability, but it's annoying that they don't tell you this stuff upfront >

i had the same feeling... damn liberal return policy... haha...
it may be under warranty but im in Canada, shipped it to the US office i deliver to everyday for work.. just a huge hassle sending it back with US customs and all..

im the same way... i get interested in something and will learn everything about it... did with computers as a kid, my car as a adult.... and for the last year, my guitar.. lol

but i think i could easily re-wire it... since the only REAL damage to be done is shorting out the pups, but not drinking when i do this should prevent that.. haha
Quote by xadioriderx
ah well then check your soldering skills on some random wires to make sure youve got it down, and give it a go!
biggest things being to tin your wires first, and dont hold the iron on too long so it melts the shielding up the wire a ways.

and i didnt realize my yard was in the pics too lol!
i have the guitar apart, and now i need longer neck screws, so its stuck sitting there until i can get them =( im not patient enough for this!

gonna pick up a soldering iron tomorrow and start messing around for practice... when you say tin your wires... what do you mean? tin foil?? lol

and yup... i saw a nice yard and WATER! its hot as hell in my apartment and i said to myself "man i wish that was my backyard"
Quote by PaulBateman
gonna pick up a soldering iron tomorrow and start messing around for practice... when you say tin your wires... what do you mean? tin foil?? lol

and yup... i saw a nice yard and WATER! its hot as hell in my apartment and i said to myself "man i wish that was my backyard"

haha thats my parents house, has a creek running around 3/4 of it and a river in front. its a LOTT of upkeep though.. the garden we built a wall for a few years back is already starting to lean into the canyon... ugh.

anyways, tinning means you take the wire end, heat it up, and let solder flow into the strands.
do this on both wires, this means you dont have to put the wires together AND the solder wire. heres a pretty good guide
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/how_to/solder/index.html. starting at II is tinning
its never-ending... haha... i love being in an apartment for that reason... and i dont have to shovel snow or cut grass...

thanks for the help... gonna go through that link now
Ya man it seems they'll take back anything, until YOU need to return something, then they give you 20 questions and charge you restocking fees. I felt the same way, and I'm in the US lol... after waiting 2 weeks for the guitar, I wasn't about to be bothered with shipping the guitar back to MF (waiting another week and and pay for shipping), just to wait another 2 weeks to receive another used guitar with perhaps more obvious scratch... but ya man good luck!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
they've actually been pretty good to me.... had an order missing 2 sets of strings, emailed them and they shipped out replacements for free with no questions asked.. could have just lied and got some free strings... lol... there people seem pretty knowledgeable and the prices rock... so i cant really complain...

and without being able to see another epi lp prophecy ex.. i have no real way of knowing if this is how they are shipping them from the factory... i just know i dont like it.... so will end up trying to fix it myself... then if i fail, i'll bite the bullet and pay someone... might as well try first

edit... im actually putting MF to the test.. i just emailed them with the picture and issue... let see what they say...

edit 2... well.. said it looks like someone modified it and returned it to stock before returning it... seems like if it worked, they wouldnt even look... also said a few reps he works with have the same guitar and the wiring was alot cleaner... said if i paid to fix it, send in the receipt and theyll do what they can to reimburse me..

not great... but cant fault them on customer service.. lol
Last edited by PaulBateman at Jun 27, 2011,
Really? wow yeah that's pretty decent of them... well at least you got some sort of closure... anyhow, happy soldering! once you get over that "I-don't-want-to-screw-anything-up" feeling, you'll want to mod everything... I have had my share of solder iron burns and have ruined my share of circuit boards, but it's very fun to be in control of your sound at the mechanical-electrical level =)