So i watched a joke video of Devin Townsend ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NongtyxkfY ). When he start singing at 5:00, does anybody know that chords key he uses? Is it pure diatonic, or harmonic minor or what? (Waht song is this by the way?) I really wonder about the part at 5:08. It sounds like he's going from Major To harmonic minor or what? Sorry for not being a theory master, and this is probably a really dumb question, but i really wanna know.
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Jun 26, 2011,
The chord changes goes like this and the chords change when descending (so the first chord is only half a bar - the rest are a whole bar):

B Gb Db Ab Bm Ebm Gm Bm

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is originally played in Open B major tuning
Last edited by xFilth at Jun 26, 2011,
I'm not able to answer your question, but I just want to take this time to thank you for showing me this piece of GOD! I gotta go buy Deconstruction...
Quote by xFilth
The chord changes goes like this and the chords change when descending (so the first chord is only half a bar - the rest are a whole bar):

B Gb Db Ab Bm Ebm Gm Bm

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is originally played in Open B major tuning

Thanks alot for your reply! Can you help me analyze it? What key is it in, are there a key change etc? By the way, its sick that he does all the soloing in this tunisng! Do you know why?
In the first 4 chords he's simply ascending from B major in fifths, the next 4 chords he's ascending in major thirds from B minor (kind of implying some augmented/wholetone feel)

You can probably dig deeper into it, but I simply can't be bothered, because the stuff Devin writes doesn't always make sense from a traditional point of view.

Devin once said that he uses open tunings because he says they're much easier to navigate in in regards to scales, chords and soloing. A lot of the patterns repeat on each string.
Last edited by xFilth at Jun 26, 2011,