Okay, so, I've stumbled upon this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW9WNR1tBXg

It shows an Ibanez RGA7 the has 7 strings, yet it has the same neck length and physical dimensions as a normal 6-string electric.

Are there 6 string "baritone guitars" commercially available, or is this just a matter of setup on a standard 6-string one?

As far as I've heard, applying thicker strings on a standard guitar can bend the neck, and the higher frets get false tone, unlike on a 7-string, 27" baritone guitar. Also it gets out of tune.

Simply put: is it a viable setup on a standard 6-string guitar or is it messy as hell?
I see. Then, put it more simply: how do you achieve such a "Djent"-ish tone with a 6 string guitar? Is it a possible and easy setup?
Quote by Grimwing
As far as I've heard, applying thicker strings on a standard guitar can bend the neck, and the higher frets get false tone, unlike on a 7-string, 27" baritone guitar. Also it gets out of tune.

Simply put: is it a viable setup on a standard 6-string guitar or is it messy as hell?

You've heard wrong. Thicker strings bend the neck over time if you keep the same tuning, if you tune down it's fine. The tone on the higher frets is fine, no worries there.

Yes it is viable and easy to set up a standard 6 string for really low tunings, many bands tune lower on their 6 strings than a standard tuned 7 string; 7s feel and play differently to 6s and some people don't get along with that so they use 6 strings tuned down.

Quote by Grimwing
I see. Then, put it more simply: how do you achieve such a "Djent"-ish tone with a 6 string guitar? Is it a possible and easy setup?

Yes, it is possible and easy. You don't even have to tune that low to get the djent sound; a lot of Periphery songs are played on 6 strings in Drop C which isn't exactly that low.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thank you dude!!! This info made my day. It really did. (I don't even have a guitar yet. )
What do you think about Ibanez SZ520? Is it a good choice for this setup? Or is a glued neck guitar better for this purpose? Also, could you please suggest what size/gauge strings are ideal for this? (From here: http://www.hangszerdiszkont.hu/en/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=349)

Thanks again!
Quote by Grimwing
Thank you dude!!! This info made my day. It really did. (I don't even have a guitar yet. )
What do you think about Ibanez SZ520? Is it a good choice for this setup? Or is a glued neck guitar better for this purpose? Also, could you please suggest what size/gauge strings are ideal for this? (From here: http://www.hangszerdiszkont.hu/en/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=349)

Thanks again!

The whole set/bolt-on neck thing is a debate you don't need to even think about if you don't even own a guitar yet.

For now just get a guitar and learn to play, you won't even be able to play simple songs for a while so ignore djent, it will be out of your capabilities for a long time.

String gauges depend entirely on taste and tuning, personally I tune to a variety of different things and use different strings for all of it, I use 9 - 48 for standard, 10s for D, I think the strings on my C standard guitar are a set of 12s maybe, could be 11s... A lot of people would say that all those are way too loose for anything but that's the way I like it and it gets sounds that I enjoy so it's all good.

Wait until you've played for a while and actually have an opinion before worrying about any of this.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yes, I'm only interested in this setup not to buy the "wrong guitar" for my future purposes. Also, if a friend sets the guitar up this way, I think the sweetest tone will motivate me like nothing else for learning the instrument.
Yes. It is possible to have a baritone 6 string guitar xD

I have a Baritone Schecter. Works okay except I bought a prototype, and it has some minor Nut noises when played.
[color="Red"] [B]________                        
| __ _|
|_/ / / .---. _ .--. .--.
.'.' _ / /__\\[ `/'`\]/ .'`\ \
_/ /__/ || \__., | | | \__. |
|________| '.__.'[___] '.__.' [/B][/COLOR]
LTD Viper VB-401
PRS Mike Mushok
Schecter Blackjack Baritone.

There's lots of good baritone 6-strings out there. I want one
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
To "convert" a 6 string guitar to a baritone, you'd have to change the neck to one with a longer scale length and relocate the bridge so it intonates properly.

Also keep in mind that a baritone guitar won't magically get you a "djent" tone. 60% is your tone, and 38% is technique. Those numbers aren't scientifically precise or anything but you get the point.
Here ya go

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000.html

They usually have a few 6 stringers with a longer scale. That one has is a 28" scale. 469, and Agiles are great guitars.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Djent tone:
Low tuning (drop A for a 7 string, C for a 6 string)
Medium output pickup.
Medium gain sound with lots of highs, some strong mids, and very little bass.

Then proceed to rip off Meshuggah.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^ I keep my bass at 12:30 when I play "djent"-y stuff. Mid to about 12:50 and Treble at about 1:00.

Presence is at about 2:00.

I think for a while Misha Mansoor was using the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb pickup (15.7K ohm pickup, not medium output by any means) and Jake Bowen was using the War Pig (21.5K ohm). Alex uses the D Activator on some of his guitars which is a 14.5K ohm pickup.

ITT: Myths of djent debunked.

Quote by Pac_man0123
^ I keep my bass at 12:30 when I play "djent"-y stuff. Mid to about 12:50 and Treble at about 1:00.

Presence is at about 2:00.

I think for a while Misha Mansoor was using the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb pickup (15.7K ohm pickup, not medium output by any means) and Jake Bowen was using the War Pig (21.5K ohm). Alex uses the D Activator on some of his guitars which is a 14.5K ohm pickup.

ITT: Myths of djent debunked.

Depends who you talk to really, different people use different setups to get very djenty sounds.

Misha did use Nailbombs at one point, he's also use Warpigs, Aftermaths and probably just about anything else in the BKP lineup, Nolly from RedSeasFire uses a whole host of different BKPs, everything from their medium output models like the VHII to the highest output pups they do.

All in all, the pickups don't make much difference as long as the amp, EQ and your technique are alright.

What you really need is either an American or German voiced amp, relatively flat EQ but if you want to exaggerate the effect then cut the low mids and keep the upper mids high, healthy amounts of treble, take out some bass if you're tuning low and above all: beat the fuck out of your guitar. If you don't have a strong attack you will never get your setup to djent.

Lower tunings make it easier to get that sound out of your gear but that's the basic principle.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.