i play in a gigging and traveling blackened death metal band and im looking at a peavey xxx ive played on it some and i like its tone but im wondering every one thinks of it and i have a few questeions

1. is it a good am for my genra?
2. is it durable/reliable and road worthy ?
3.is it versatile of is it a one trick pony?

thanks for you help
Peavey XXX
B-52 AT 100
Peavey XXl cab
Boss Gt10
Jackson dinky
PRS Paul Alender SE
They are pretty good amps, with a diecent build quality. I see no reason that you caouldn't get some really good tones for your style. It is some what versitile, but is more geared twards metal/hardrock.
And it is miles above your MG!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i havent updated my gear list in a while ive been using a b52 at100 for about a year and it sounds amazing but its not road worthy at all and im sick of throwing money at it so im back in the market
Peavey XXX
B-52 AT 100
Peavey XXl cab
Boss Gt10
Jackson dinky
PRS Paul Alender SE
Yeah I knew a guy who had a B52 and it sounded pretty good, but that was only when it would work! I think you'll be happy with the XXX. I just don't like the face plate, but that doesn't affect your sound. I have the Bugera 333 which is the XXX clone, and it has more than enough gain for any thing I play and doesn't get supper muddy unless you just scoop all the mids out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It's built like a tank and great for metal. Its clean channel is good at high volumes, and there are two separate gain channels,so it is versatile. There is no way you should want more gain after playing through one. I've had it retubed once since I've had it. The only other problem I've had is the fuse cover broke when trying to remove it. From what I've read they're kind of notorious for that.
Last edited by stoic at Jun 26, 2011,
1. Sure, it can.
2. Peavey amps are absurdly road-worthy.
3. Cleans are decent, crunch is pretty good, Ultra is awesome.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.