Page 1 of 2
I think it should be, I think it is each persons own right to die, if I was in terrible pain or was paralyzed, I can safely say I would want someone to kill me.

What do you guys think
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Last edited by The9 at Jun 26, 2011,
Yes.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Assisted suicide as in pulling the plug or as in getting someone to push you off a building?
Yes it should be.

In the Netherlands it is legal, although there are very very strict rules and the christian political parties are still giving the progress in this a hard time. The debate about it is still going on between liberals and conservatives/christians. If you want to watch a movie about this subject you should watch the dutch film 'Simon'. I hope you can find one with english subs or an english version (if you're willing to watch it of course).
Quote by jimmyled
Assisted suicide as in pulling the plug or as in getting someone to push you off a building?

Pull the plug, I think OP means.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Morally I agree with it, but it's just not practical.

It would be so hard to legislate, someone would literally have to decide whether someone is capable of deciding their own fate.

It would also be so difficult to decide whether the person has been pressed or influenced into making the decision. It could lead to loads of families bumping off relatives - it would be so open to abuse.

EDIT: I really don't know how they work it in countries were it's legal - I never thought of that.
Last edited by benonbass1 at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by Kalo Hanaka

Oh, then yes, but it should be difficult to get a permit.

OT: Yes. It should be universally legal and available, along with the psychiatric counselling needed with it. You can't just go to a hospital and request to die.
Yes, but only in very extreme and particular circumstances.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by Kalo Hanaka

If it's pulling the plug, then the person will have had to specify in a will or something that the plug should be pulled when they reach a state that they are unlikely to recover from, as presumably if they were on life support they would be unconscious.
Quote by guusw
Yes it should be.

In the Netherlands it is legal, although there are very very strict rules and the christian political parties are still giving the progress in this a hard time. The debate about it is still going on between liberals and conservatives/christians. If you want to watch a movie about this subject you should watch the dutch film 'Simon'. I hope you can find one with english subs or an english version (if you're willing to watch it of course).

Isn't it required that 3 doctors need to agree or something like that? Amongst other bits and pieces?
I'm gonna have to go against everyone and say No. It's one thing to commit suicide or be ok with the subject but assisting suicide can be taken as encouraging suicide which is definitely not morally ok.
"-How do you feel about libraries?"
"-I hate them."
"-Well, not anymore!"
*Cue commercial tune*
Track Library! - A library, for tracks. Ain't that somethin'?
If someone is terminally ill, why not let them die to ease their pain?
No, but it should be legal everywhere else.

Just to annoy you guys.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
In the right circumstances I'm all for it.
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by alternatex
I'm gonna have to go against everyone and say No. It's one thing to commit suicide or be ok with the subject but assisting suicide can be taken as encouraging suicide which is definitely not morally ok.

If someone made clear their wish is that, if they were to get to the point where they can't even breath unassisted, talk, eat, move etc... essentially become a vegetable, to have life support removed or to be injected with a lethal dose of morphine, you would deny them that, and deny a hospital bed that could be used for someone with at least a reasonable hope of recovery?

I'd say it would take a morally bankrupt individual to deny assisted suicide to those who would deny assisted suicide to those who are in such a poor quality of life.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Isn't it required that 3 doctors need to agree or something like that? Amongst other bits and pieces?

These are the dutch requirements (in dutch):

De zorgvuldigheidseisen houden in dat de arts:

a. de overtuiging heeft gekregen dat er sprake was van een vrijwillig en weloverwogen verzoek van de patiënt,
b. de overtuiging heeft gekregen dat er sprake was van uitzichtloos en ondraaglijk lijden van de patiënt,
c. de patiënt heeft voorgelicht over de situatie waarin deze zich bevond en over diens vooruitzichten,
d. met de patiënt tot de overtuiging is gekomen dat er voor de situatie waarin deze zich bevond geen redelijke andere oplossing was,
e. ten minste één andere, onafhankelijke arts heeft geraadpleegd, die de patiënt heeft gezien en schriftelijk zijn oordeel heeft gegeven over de zorgvuldigheidseisen, bedoeld in de onderdelen a tot en met d, en
f. de levensbeëindiging of hulp bij zelfdoding medisch zorgvuldig heeft uitgevoerd.

Shortly translated to english (to answer your question):

The doctor should have at least one other doctor check the demand for medical suicide. And the patient has to be in a state of great suffering/have not future etc etc.
Quote by alternatex

Your morals, not mine.

It should be legal but thier definately should be legal requirements in place before a person can end their life such as a common agreement between impartial experts who are willing to sign off on it; for example if you're dying of cancer you should get a number of Oncologists to agree that the patient is not going to get better and that death is the best way to end your suffering as well as a legal mind (say a lawyer) and a psychiatrist.

But that's just my opinion, it don't mean no thang
Quote by guusw
These are the dutch requirements (in dutch):

De zorgvuldigheidseisen houden in dat de arts:

a. de overtuiging heeft gekregen dat er sprake was van een vrijwillig en weloverwogen verzoek van de patiënt,
b. de overtuiging heeft gekregen dat er sprake was van uitzichtloos en ondraaglijk lijden van de patiënt,
c. de patiënt heeft voorgelicht over de situatie waarin deze zich bevond en over diens vooruitzichten,
d. met de patiënt tot de overtuiging is gekomen dat er voor de situatie waarin deze zich bevond geen redelijke andere oplossing was,
e. ten minste één andere, onafhankelijke arts heeft geraadpleegd, die de patiënt heeft gezien en schriftelijk zijn oordeel heeft gegeven over de zorgvuldigheidseisen, bedoeld in de onderdelen a tot en met d, en
f. de levensbeëindiging of hulp bij zelfdoding medisch zorgvuldig heeft uitgevoerd.

Shortly translated to english (to answer your question):

The doctor should have at least one other doctor check the demand for medical suicide. And the patient has to be in a state of great suffering/have not future etc etc.

Bedankt.
Assisting suicide could be very stressful. I understand for the person who wanted to die but who would they choose to do it? Should it be a relative or a medical professional they do not know? Both have positives and some very heavy negatives.

I definitely believe in Euthanasia though. I'm just wondering if you wanted the difference in the person assisting being arrested for "murder".
yes it should be.

And I'm not morally against it being available for anyone who is of sound mind. The problem arises with the practicality. How do can you say someone who suffers no physical pain yet wants to end their life, is of sound mind?

If psychology or some other field gets to the point where this can be proven to a reasonable extent, then I believe that everybody of sound mind should be able to have their life ended in a painless a way as possible (most likely via some sort of assistance).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by dogmax
Assisted suicide is the best excuse for serial killers.

yeah because assisted suicide being legalised will mean that everyone is free to kill whoever they want. All governments should legalise it with no safeguards at all.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Yes. I just watched my brother slowly die over six days because his tolerance was far above the legal amount of morphine they could administer. If euthanasia was legal we'd have been able to give him a quick end rather than watch him die slowly due to a lack of a gag reflex (the brain damage took that away).

EDIT: His tolerance was super high, mostly because he has downs and weighs around 220, also everyone in my family has a hgih tolerance for drugs. Both sides even.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Yes. I just watched my brother slowly die over six days because his tolerance was far above the legal amount of morphine they could administer. If euthanasia was legal we'd have been able to give him a quick end rather than watch him die slowly due to a lack of a gag reflex (the brain damage took that away).

EDIT: His tolerance was super high, mostly because he has downs and weighs around 220, also everyone in my family has a hgih tolerance for drugs. Both sides even.

Sorry to hear that, mate
Yes, but it needs to be very strictly controlled.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by RU Experienced?
inb4 permanent answer to a temporary problem.

If we're talking about euthanasia that wouldn't even make sense. If someone is paralysed or slowly dying, that's not a temporary problem.

But also: Definitely yes. I think the right to choose to die is very important and I can think of little to no reasons why it should be disallowed.
Quote by captaincrunk

Jesus. I don't know what to say.

I'm sorry, mate.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by captaincrunk

So sorry to hear about that man
Page 1 of 2