Page 1 of 3
Dear all,

Big apologies for this post, I know nothing about guitars, but if I can quickly explain my daughter has been playing since she was 4 and is now nearly 10, all this time she has played a Daisy Rock as we could never really afford or justify anything more.

Unfortunately her dad passed away recently and to our surprise he left £1000 in his will to her specifically to buy a guitar, but I have no idea what she should get, and at her age she is guided more by colour than sound!

We went to a shop today and there was a very nice looking Gibson Les Paul Flood Anniversary but at 1200 is it really worth more than one at 700? Or could we get a cheaper one and thencustomise it for her?

She tried several and found the telecoaster to uncomfortable, while the Les Pauls where a lot easier for her to play.

So my question is what is the best value guitar for £1000 just to reassure you she isn't a spoilt child this isn't a "my daughter is 9 and she has a £1000 guitar" post and some people will think it is a waste (I was none too imprssed at first either!) but its what her dad wanted.

If it helps the music she listens to at the moment is Palome Faith, Kate Bush, Florence and The Machine, Beatles (no hip hop thank God), and the £1000 is just for the guitar apparently the wording means she can't get the whole set up for that, but she has a little amp (and headphones!)

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
Sophie
Last edited by SophieB at Jun 26, 2011,
I'd personally look at a Strat. Very comfortable, relatively light and versatile enough to play 99.9% of genres so it will keep up with her as she gets older.

For info American made standard Strats are £975 on GAK.

They also come in lots of colours
Last edited by Daffron at Jun 26, 2011,
Honestly, if she likes the guitar she has I wouldnt be dropping down so much money now.

Id wait until shes a bit older, keep the money saved, and she will be able to make the decision for herself then. Especially as shes a lot of physical growing as well, her reach will change.

EDIT : And if you have to spend go for something that will have good resale, fender and gibson basically.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Last edited by Snapple at Jun 26, 2011,
Sophie,
How about you put the 1000 pounds on a savings account in her name and when she is old enough to make her own qualified decision she can buy a guitar which really suits her style, taste and body. Remember she is still growing (handsize). Spending a 1000 pounds right now does not seem be meaningful and if the will was meant to make the little girl happy by buying a quality guitar then waiting would be a prudent thing to do.
I wouldn't dare to give you an advice like a specific guitar model. You have to really spend time with the topic to find out that for example a guitar for 700 of another brand is as good as a 1200 Gibson because with Gibson you pay also the name (in my opinion).
in all seriousness, can a 9yr old girl actually hold a les paul for a long time, i've heard they're very heavy
Quote by teh_goon
in all seriousness, can a 9yr old girl actually hold a les paul for a long time, i've heard they're very heavy

This is what I was wondering. I'm 20 and I struggle to play a Les Paul for more than a few songs. You may want to look at getting something chambered?
I wouldn't bother spending £1000. Her brain is undeveloped and can't really justify what's correct for her.

Look towards the lower end, say £250 and you'll still find a great guitar. Also, if she has a bad cheap amp it's really worth upgrading as well. Most of your tone comes from the amp.
if she likes the Les Paul look into the Gibson SG, its some what like the Les Paul, but lighter.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by s31770
I wouldn't bother spending £1000. Her brain is undeveloped and can't really justify what's correct for her.

Look towards the lower end, say £250 and you'll still find a great guitar. Also, if she has a bad cheap amp it's really worth upgrading as well. Most of your tone comes from the amp.

actually this, get her a good guitar and a good amp. A great a guitar and a cheap amp won't get her anywhere
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I think the best thing to do is to save it until she's old enough to choose her own guitar.
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
Quote by hedron75
Sophie,
How about you put the 1000 pounds on a savings account in her name and when she is old enough to make her own qualified decision she can buy a guitar which really suits her style, taste and body.

Completely agree

Let her pick when she is older and she can pick something that she will like to play and also, it's going to remind her of her father, so it will be a really significant possession for her..

Also, people change in time, perhaps when shes older she won't be interested in playing the guitar any more but might still be able to put that money towards something else, a car, a degree..

Sorry for your loss
well if she's paying guitar for that long I guess she will keep on playing. Kids at her age would usually change the things that they wanna do 5 times a year. But I really don't think a 1000 pounds is necessary. Get her a MIM HSS strat. It's comfy, light, easy to play even with small hands etc. And Maybe get her an useful amp as well with the leftover money. Playing with headphones just doesn't cut it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
coincidentally, i've been playing for almost six years now and i just spent $1000 on a new guitar after playing nothing but my first one (probably a bit more expensive than a Daisy Rock, but whatever). so if it weren't for the fact that she's still growing, i would say that if she clearly likes guitar, it's about time she got an upgrade.

i can't give you very useful advice because i don't play anything like that kind of music you listed, but it would be a bit of a waste to spend 1000 on a guitar without plans to upgrade the amp in the immediate future as well.

sorry about her dad.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I agree with those who've recommended putting the money into an account and letting it accrue interest. I teach guitar lessons on the weekend and 10 years old is the minimum age I teach. At the age of 9, most kids don't really know what they want to do. There are a few exceptions who start early and see it through, but most young children will play for awhile, then lose interest. That happened to my daughter and piano. She later became interested in guitar, so we eventually bought her a used 90s Gibson LP for almost $1000. This was after we bought her a cheap Ibanez and she demonstrated she could take care of it and wanted to learn. She plays it almost every day. Let her keep playing the Daisy Rock guitar. If she continues to show interest, then reward her with a new guitar. Not sure what she's using for an amp, but you might be able to buy her both - if she continues to express a desire to learn and play guitar.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by s31770

You obviously didn't read the TS post properly.
i'm also one for investing it into a savings account and if she is serious about it when she's a teenager then let her access it and tell her to buy herself a nice guitar.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you can, I'd reckon putting that money away until she's older and can make a proper decision would be the best idea. However, if you're not able to do that, you can really go far wrong with a Les Paul. If you're able to by a cheaper one then customise, I'd recommend buying a high-end Epiphone and upgrading the parts in it. If you're not able to though, the one you've been looking at is probably more than good enough, especially for some one so young whose tastes are more than likely going to change.
Things you could do:

- Put the money in a savings account, gain some interest and then buy the guitar when she's older so she can make a more informed decision.
- Spend £200 on an amp [assuming she doesn't gig] and then the rest on a guitar
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Dear all

Thank you so much for the quick responses
believe me I too would like to put it in a savings
account and hubby knew that. So it states i have 5 months to but the guitar or the money
goes to charity I was thinking of buying it and selling it back
straight away... but it's kind of a last present
from him to her.

I have the same issue with my son and a motorbike lol

Love
Sophie
If the kid is a genuinely good and interested player, and she doesn't tend to destroy her possessions, there's no reason to not buy her a good instrument. Nobody would question spending that much to buy a kid a violin.

A Les Paul would be a great option if she can handle the thick neck. It has a relatively short scale that will be easier for her to play; the longer scale might be while she had trouble with the Telecaster. If her hands are too small you could look at similar guitars by Ibanez and ESP that have thin necks more comparable to the Daisy Rock she already plays. Weight shouldn't be an issue because any solid-body electric will be heavy to a child of that age, but in three years she will be able to strap it on and play just fine.

Also be sure to insure the guitar against loss and theft. Kids lose things and people like to steal from kids.
First of all I would like to say I'm very sorry to hear about, if I'm reading and understanding correctly, your husband.

When she grows up and realizes you got her a guitar that expensive when she didn't know what she wanted, she might be pretty disappointed. In a few years she might only want to play, say, Fender guitars. If she gets a Gibson Les Paul now and doesn't like it in a few years, you just burned a bunch of money on a guitar she doesn't really like but can't sell to pay for another one she does because of the fact that the money came from her father specifically for that guitar.

If you wait until she's older and she knows what she likes in a guitar, you can use that money to buy her a very nice guitar that she will always love and cherish because she will always remember who bought it for her.
Ok then here my opinion
1. Les Pauls are too heavy and Gibson too overpriced
2. Fender Strats or similar being better suitable for girls in general but also given the kind of music she is listening (now).
3. Another thing is that Made in USA Fenders keep the value better than for example an Epiphone Made in Indonesia or China. Just in case......
4. Ask a lawyer about options in the interpretation of the will before you have your young buying a motorbike (seriously)
sent for your loss, that's awful.

As generous as a gesture as that is, its almost impossible to buy a guitar for somebody so young as she still has so much growing to do. Not to mention she may grow out of wanting to play the guitar. I would say if you have to buy a guitar, go for an American Fender Strat.

Just because if you decide to sell it to recoup some money for you to save for your daughter you wont lose too much money on it.

But otherwise, maybe look into some of the nicer Martin acoustics, they make some beautiful smaller sized acoustic guitars.

Again, sorry for your loss.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
having read the posts and see that your daughter has tried and liked the les paul to other guitars, and the fact that your in the predicament of 'having' to buy her one or effectively lose the money, and add the fact that she's played for a few years and is still keen, then i would definitely go ahead with the purchase... your not losing the money as it wasn't there in the first place and if you don't buy her a guitar, you'll lose it.... so it's better to get the guitar than not to!
having said that, be aware that les pauls can have a different thickness to the neck depending on the model... a 50's neck is thicker than a 60's neck... so the thinner 60's neck might be a better option to look out for, as i believe the les paul your asking about has the thicker 50's neck on it.
As previously mentioned, a high end Epiphone could be a viable alternative, such as the custom model, which has the thinner 60's neck?
just some food for thought! :-)

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by syzee at Jun 26, 2011,
I think saving some of the money until later would be a good idea. A new amp would also be a good idea too. Pick her up the Classic Vibe Duo Sonic for now maybe, it's short scale so should be easier for her to play. Or a VM Jaguar.
Quote by Cathbard

"And straight into the woman's arguing technique - shaming language. The pillar of feminist rhetoric when confronting anybody that doesn't follow the PC feminist approved line of discussion."
I feel like the official Schecter spokesperson for the forums, but:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitars.aspx

They are lighter weight than Les Pauls which was the first electric guitar I ever had, provide longer necks that are still sturdy, offer a wide range of sounds depending on what style you would like to play and are priced very, very well. The guitar I bought only ran about $500 US but it plays and sounds like something in the $8-900 range.

If she likes The Beetles you could try something like the Corsair, if she likes mainstream rock or gets into mainstream rock you could try something like the PT Fastback which is pretty similar to a Telecaster with dual coil pickups, or you could always get the C1 Standard, their most popular model. It's great for rock, metal, blues and jazz depending on what pickups you get. They give you a lot of options.

*EDIT*

Oh, also this below :P

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Flattus-Maximus-GWAR.aspx

Kidding, of course. But I'd love that thing.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Jun 26, 2011,
Sorry for your loss.

Quote by SophieB
... We went to a shop today and there was a very nice looking Gibson Les Paul Flood Anniversary ... She tried several and found the telecoaster to uncomfortable, while the Les Pauls where a lot easier for her to play. ...

Spring for the additional 200. It's a guitar and her dad may have seen something for him to set aside 1000 clams in the first place.

BTW, not everybody finds the LP neck uncomfortable.

If it were my daughter I'd look into a Gibson Godess LP or SG, they are about 80% the size of regular LP's and SG's,but are made for Female players in particular. Then if she ever wanted to sell it she would get a good retun on it. These guitars were discontinued a couple years ago, but you can find them on Ebay/craigslist.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi Sophie, sorry for your loss.

Now I don't have much experience in guitar shopping for nine year old girls, but it seems a difficult challenge. There's a good chance that her tastes might change significantly over the next few years, so you probably want to buy a very versatile guitar.

That's why I'd advise you to go with one of the 'classics'. The all time greats that you see countless bands using, just because they are versatile, and they're timeless. She's less likely to go off them than she would with other models.

Things like the Gibson Les Paul and SG, and the Fender Stratocaster and Telecaster. They're versatile, they can play just about any genre out there, and they won't look out of place playing just about any genre either.

Now you say she preferred the Les Paul to the Telecaster, did she say what she didn't like about the Tele, other than it being uncomfortable? My guess would be that the Gibson was easier to play because it has a slightly shorter scale length. That means that the frets are a little closer together, and so it would be easier to play for a nine year old with small hands.

If that's the case, the Gibson is a good choice. Most of their models have the same shorter scale length. The worry with a Les Paul is that it is a bulky, heavy instrument, which could be a problem if she wants to play standing up. That's why I think an SG might be a good choice. It's got the same scale length as the Les Paul, but it's got a thinner, lighter body.

Have a look at a Gibson SG Standard, and see what she thinks. From a quick look online, they're just under £1000, and they seem to me like one of the most suitable high end guitars for a youngster, while still being a great guitar to own and play later on.
Also have her try a PRS Santana SE it has a 24.5 in scale and is very comfortable to play.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
After reading that you have to spend the money or lose it, I think the best course of action would be to buy a used Les Paul for $1000. That way, you'll get a better guitar than you could get new for the same price, and if you ever need to sell it, you can sell it for the same price you bought it (since real Gibsons don't really lose their resale value).

EDIT: On the other hand though, from a more sentimental point of view, the Flood Les Pauls are very limited edition guitars (I believe), and one of those might be a lot more meaningful.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 26, 2011,
you dont sound like you can swim in money, dont get me wrong neigther can i. so i'd say it's not worth it to buy a 1000 pound new guitar for her. is she happy with her current guitar? will it keep motivating her to play? if not let her look for some new guitar worth less than the 1000 mark and put the money left over on a bank account for her.
Considering the instrument itself is the electric guitar plus the amp, would it be ok to spend more money on a mesa boogie (amplifier) and less money on the guitar (say, a squier stratocaster). Your daughter won't be able to play the guitar in a few years anyway, but the amp will stay forever, and a mesa boogie for, say 700£ or 750£ will rock your socks everyday.

It all depends on how much freedom you were given by your late husband (my condolences to you and your children, of course). In any case, there's no arguing an electric guitar without an amp is mostly furniture... So buy an awesome amp, and in the future, when she's older, any 300£ guitar will sound amazing and be amazing and play amazing with a mesa boogie. Or a Marshall, but I'd go for the mesa.
Quote by Tiago Sa
Considering the instrument itself is the electric guitar plus the amp, would it be ok to spend more money on a mesa boogie (amplifier) and less money on the guitar (say, a squier stratocaster). Your daughter won't be able to play the guitar in a few years anyway, but the amp will stay forever, and a mesa boogie for, say 700£ or 750£ will rock your socks everyday.

If you can find a Mesa for that price, tell me where!
Plus, if you look after the guitar correctly, it'll be playable for decades, so that's not really an argument.
i suggest maybe a fender mustang. being shortscale theyre better for smaller hands and they are good guitars. the jaguars are also short scale but the body is very big

however in a few years time she would be much bigger and so the scale might not matter. maybe a strat or get the es paul if its nice

i wont suggest spending anything on the amp. while there will be an improvement in tone if you buy a better amp having the guitar she wants is more important imo
Quote by hedron75
Sophie,
How about you put the 1000 pounds on a savings account in her name and when she is old enough to make her own qualified decision she can buy a guitar which really suits her style, taste and body. Remember she is still growing (handsize). Spending a 1000 pounds right now does not seem be meaningful and if the will was meant to make the little girl happy by buying a quality guitar then waiting would be a prudent thing to do.
I wouldn't dare to give you an advice like a specific guitar model. You have to really spend time with the topic to find out that for example a guitar for 700 of another brand is as good as a 1200 Gibson because with Gibson you pay also the name (in my opinion).

Could not have said it better. I implore you, do not spend that money now. Wait a few years, let her decide if she even wants to continue with guitar. Children can be fickle with their hobbies.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
very sorry to hear about your husband/partner

might be a better idea to wait until she's a little older, because unless she's pretty tall for her age a full-size guitar might be too big (and I'm not sure if you can get expensive smaller-size guitars, or even if it's sensible to go down that path even if you can).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Saving it seems the most sensible course, but from Sophie's posts that's not an option. Apparently this money needs to be spent on a guitar, and a guitar only within the next five months or it goes to charity.

Looks like he really wanted his daughter to have a nice guitar.
Page 1 of 3