Soo in all the time I have been playing guitar I have yet to encounter a song that I couldn't fret with my tiny hands.. until today.

I was trying to learn Neon by John Mayer, and the 3rd chord is:

e x
b 4
g 3
d 6
a x
E 5

Where the E string needs to be fretted with the thumb..I simply cannot see a way for me to do it besides cheating and changing the fingering.. is that my only option? Either way it has been really frustrating, usually songs are only a tad bit harder to learn with small hands, but not impossible >.<

Is this something I can achieve by stretching my fingers more? As it is, I can barely fret d, g, b, letalone throw the thumb on there. Any advice?
Try this?

e=x
b=middle
g=index
d=pinky
a=x
e=ring

Cuz you'd really have to hold your hand retardedly to get your thumb on the 5th if you're already holding down a string on the 3rd fret..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
There's no law against changing the fingering.. it's the same chord.

I do it by:
Thumb, pinky,index,middle.
When I do it that way, the pointer and middle are both touching eachother. The fingers are all angled 45 degrees.
Shift your palm further under the neck- that might help.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Why not just play the A string open and avoid the low E? You can't silence the low E with a another finger unfortunately, so you'd have to be a little more careful and not just slam on the strings, but it will at least let you play the song a lot more comfortably.
You should finger the A on the E string with your thumb, it'll give you a better tone. It'll sound like crap if you play it any other way, especially if you finger it with your ring finger (the weakest finger on your hand).

edit: im joking btw, before people start flaming me or something, finger it how ever you find most comfortable, I would play the A on the e string with my ring, or even play the open A, its not cheating.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jun 26, 2011,