Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I play guitar for about 3 months now, but on an acoustic. The kind of music I want to play is not really meant for acoustic so I want to buy an electric now.
My budget is around 200$ and less, that's about 130-140 euros. That's the budget for the guitar, not the amp.

What music do I want to play? I want to play Guns N Roses, but also red hot chili peppers. So I don´t know if I need Single coils or humbuckers.

I already did some research, and I found 2 guitars that fit my budget.
The Squier Bullet Strat and the Epi Les Paul Special II, both complete different styles.
At the moment I prefer the strat, because I think it's gonna last longer and I like the looks better (ofcourse, a real Les Paul looks better then a strat ).

I´ve almost chosen an amp, I think it´s going to be the Roland Cube 20XL, because of its build in effects. In about 2 weeks I´m going to a music store (or wathever it's called in english :P ) and test it.

What do you guys think is better or have other recommendations?

Sorry for my english, I'm dutch
Those two guitars (Squier Bullet and Epi Special) are horrible, usually.

I suggest you look into a Yamaha Pacifica 112, they're really awesome guitars. They sound good, are well-built and reliable.

The Roland Cube is a good option, but personally i'd go for the 30 model instead of the 20.
IMHO, there is a quite noticeable difference in the tone quality between the two, and the 30 sounds better to me.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
thanks for your reply, i looked them up but both, guitar and amp, are like a whole price level up. I thought the Roland Cube 20x was already pretty expensive for a beginner. Although the pacifica looks good and i did already heard good thing about it.
Last edited by thetom114 at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by thetom114
thanks for your reply, i looked them up but both, guitar and amp, are like a whole price level up. I thought the Roland Cube 20x was already pretty expensive for a beginner. Although the pacifica looks good and i did already heard good thing about it.

Believe me, the Pacifica is one of the best cheap guitars around.
The two you mentioned really aren't worth it. Since you're serious about playing guitar, you should save up a little more and at least get the Pacifica.

Other amps that are worth checking out are the Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr and Vox ValveTronix.
If you really want to keep the amp cost down, look for the 15watt versions of those amps.

Keep in mind, though, that you'll need at least 30watts if you're planning on playing with a drummer, or gigging, etc.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have to say the best starter guitar I've ever used is the Ibanez GAX20. Throw some good tuners on it and it can compete with the best guitars around.

the amp that usually comes with it is garbage though, get something else to go with it
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I'd follow the guy above. Yamaha pacifica definitely. Built like a ****ing rock
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
The Yamaha PAC112J is an extremely good guitar for the price. Not as good, but a I'd also recommend the Ibanez GSA60.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Is the pacifica with a peavey viper 15 a good combo? Altough I hate those leds on the peavey.
I used to own the Vypyr 15, and I wouldn't recommend it. The rest of the Vypyr models are really great amps, and I swear by them, but the 15 just doesn't cut it. Has a severe lack of features the others have, and only has an 8" speaker as opposed to 12".

Anyway, for what you play, something like a Vox VT would probably be a better choice. Maybe a Roland Cube of some sort, but I don't have experience with that particular amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Whats a good amp with effects for 150$ and less? Just basic effect like gain, delay, reverb etc. I don't need all those amp simulators or presets, just a good amp with those effects. Just like the roland cube 20x, but less expensive
Quote by thetom114
Whats a good amp with effects for 150$ and less? Just basic effect like gain, delay, reverb etc. I don't need all those amp simulators or presets, just a good amp with those effects. Just like the roland cube 20x, but less expensive

Check out the Fender Mustang I. Amazing practice amps.

I think the Yamaha Pacifica and a Fender Mustang I would be perfect for you.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
i'll just +1 what linkerman's saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To tell you the truth my first electric I had no problems, It was an Ibanez GRX20ZRD, great guitar, lasts long and gets a deep tone for rock, metal, and alternative. it has the body as a strat so if you prefer that body GREAT! good luck with gitt-fiddle playing

Cheers.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ibanez+gio&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7282883306590132317&sa=X&ei=aXsITpeCOsPqgQfL6vXGDg&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAg
Guitarist & Bassist
Last edited by Asa Carter at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Asa Carter
To tell you the truth my first electric I had no problems, It was an Ibanez GRX20ZRD, great guitar, lasts long and gets a deep tone for rock, metal, and alternative. it has the body as a strat so if you prefer that body GREAT! good luck with gitt-fiddle playing

Cheers.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ibanez+gio&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7282883306590132317&sa=X&ei=aXsITpeCOsPqgQfL6vXGDg&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAg

it's not a full size guitar...
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Go used on a 112 if you need to
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'm still looking around with all advices here. The Fender mustang looks good, i'll try that one out for sure at the music store. I did take a look at the Line 6 Spider 15, is that a good amp for my style?

And I saw the Yamaha pacifica 012, the body is from different wood, is it still a good guitar cause its cheaper.
i'm guessing the 112 is better. I haven't tried the 012, but agathis doesn't get a great rap as a tone wood (at least on cheaper guitars). There's probably some truth to the claim that cheap wood won't be too great regardless of the species, but given the option of agathis or alder... i'm picking alder, pretty much, unless i get told that the agathis is super-high-grade and the alder is the absolute cheapest, not-even-half-dried, cuts of that type of wood.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I still have some trouble with the price of the pacifica, it will be more then my original budget and I don't want to get a cheaper amp with less effects, and my amp has to last longer.

What do you guys think of the squier affinity? I don't really want that 'twang' sound from a real fender strat.
The fender starcaster is a good guitar overall! I would recommend it cause it's affordable and still offers a wide variety of styles.
If you plan on taking my advice... make sure you sell the amp that comes with it. (It's ****)
A good amp would be the g-dec3 cause it's many different presets and backing tracks!!
:p Anyway good luck, and have fuuun!
Quote by thetom114
I still have some trouble with the price of the pacifica, it will be more then my original budget and I don't want to get a cheaper amp with less effects, and my amp has to last longer.

It's worth to make a bigger effort and get a good guitar. If you buy a low-quality guitar, you'll outgrow it very fast, and you'll want to get a new one ASAP, spending more money a second time in the process.
Don't cheap out on the guitar, really. I can't stress this enough.

Now, about the amp: as long as you don't want to gig or play with a drummer, for example, the lower wattage versions of the amps i mentioned before (Mustang, Vypyr, Cube, ValveTronix) will get you through the next couple of years.
I wouldn't worry too much about this.
Obviously, after that you'll probably want a nice tube amp, with enough power to play live and jam with a full band, but that's the natural evolution of things.

While a good guitar (even if it was a cheap Pacifica 112) will last you forever.

Quote by thetom114
What do you guys think of the squier affinity? I don't really want that 'twang' sound from a real fender strat.

As far as the Squier Affinity Strat goes, it depends from specific guitar to specific guitar.
It can be very good, or very bad.

I've tried 3 or 4 Affinity Strats before i found the one i have today, which is (IMO) even better than any MIM Fender Strat.
It's a guitar that i wouldn't blindly buy (for example, by ordering online). If you want one, take someone who knows guitars really well along with you to help you find a good one.

EDIT:
Quote by Three2onE
The fender starcaster is a good guitar overall! I would recommend it cause it's affordable and still offers a wide variety of styles.
If you plan on taking my advice... make sure you sell the amp that comes with it. (It's ****)
A good amp would be the g-dec3 cause it's many different presets and backing tracks!!
:p Anyway good luck, and have fuuun!

No, just no. The Starcaster is an awful guitar. It sounds and feels like a children's toy.
It's no better than the Squier Bullet or the Epi LP Special.

And in case you didn't notice, thetom114 doesn't want to spend more than $150 on the amp. The Fender G-DEC3 is much more expensive than that.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 27, 2011,
I'd recommend a strat I love them and the way they look you jerk.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

The biggest problem with squier (and fender) is thy the quality varies from one guitAr to the next. The Pacifica is alot better than re epi or squier. One reason being your not paying for the name on the headstock.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jun 27, 2011,
Well, I do like th looks and the clean sound from the pacifica. A friend of mine bought a few months ago a guitar from an unknown brand and he thinks it's good but to me it sounds like a saxophone.
I definately want a good guitar so i guess i have to pay more money for it than i thought.
A strat is a good starter I think.
But if you would like to play metal I recommend ESP (LTD)! (or an Ibanez, but i stay with the LTD)

If not.. a strat is a very good electric guitar so start with (3 single coil pickups)
a strat guitar is a good guitar to start out with. what i would recommend is that for you as a beginner i would start of with really easy songs that you can learn and keep up with.
like sweet home alabama or californication and after a while make it more difficult by adding the bass line (californication)? :P

But still 1 question; is the line6 spider 15 any good?

What i can do too is buy a roland cube 15 and if i feel like i have to get delay or reverb (or wah wah ) or something i'll buy a Behringer X V-Amp, or i'll ask it by that time for my birthday
I own a Pacifica got it used awhile back for 100 euro's and they're really good guitars for the price, I also own Roland Cube 30 and a Vypyr 30, I'd say go with the Roland if you're into more of your cleans and rocky sorta stuff and Vypyr if you're playing more metal.
Quote by thetom114

In my opinion, no. Between small modelling amps, the Spider is one of the worst.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
ok, thanks, i think i'm going for the roland cube 15 or a second hand cube 20xl. And probably the pacifica.

In about a week or 2 i'm going to the music store and i'll let you guys know what i've chosen and what advice they gave. Thanks for all your help!

Let me know if you still have other suggestions!

EDIT: an idea pops up in my head, what would you guys chose with this budget for like 300€ for an amp and guitar?
Last edited by thetom114 at Jun 27, 2011,
if it were solely for practice and volume weren't an issue, i'd probably get a pacifica 112v and maybe a roland microcube or vox da5 or mini 3. on the basis that those amps still have amp models (i've only tried the microcube out of those 3 but it sounded pretty good).

alternatively i'd maybe get a peavey vypyr 15 for the amp (depending on how much it is, as i said, i haven't tried it), or maybe a vox valvetronix 15 watt version.

at normal prices (i.e. assuming you don't just come across a killer deal).

if it were just for me (i.e. not as a beginner) i'd seriously consider a harley benton ga5 (which is basically an epiphone valve junior v2, and the v2 valve junior takes pedals incredibly well) combined with a couple of pedals- maybe the harley benton-rebranded joyos which are for sale on thomann? they're only like 29 euro each and are supposedly clones of expensive boutique pedals (just made a bit more cheaply).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thetom114
It's good as a beginner amp, but since you want something that will last, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get tired of it really fast.

Definitely go with something like the Vypyr or Mustang if you plan to still be using it in the long future.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 28, 2011,
I say get the strat I have one & it plays well on guns and roses and if you ever want to change styles from rock to blues it can do that to its a all round guitar you can play most of anny songs on it but get one with a whammy 4 when u get advanced
You shouldnt limit your price because you are a beginner. If you are certain you will continue playing, go ahead and get something a little better that will last you awhile.

It doesnt take skill to play through an amp.

If you don't believe me, go to Guitar Center for 30 seconds on a Saturday.
I've bought a Cube 15 second hand last week together with my first electrical (Vintage 100) and the Cube 15 is a bit limited.
It is also quite difficult to get the right settings for different sounds/genres.

I don't mind at this point because this set will teach me to play guitar while I'll gather as much info as possible to buy my dream set later on.
But I wouldn't buy the Cube 15 new. For the same price I would get a Fender Mustang I.
Or look second hand and buy yourself a Cube 20/30 or a Fender Mustang II.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
thanks all!!

But what about ibanez guitars? I think i like the tone of humbuckers better then single coils and i saw a few ibanez guitars with 1 single and 2 humbuckers.
what I wanted to say too is that I'll probably won't use a tremolo, and i hate those thing just hangin on your guitar :P
Page 1 of 2