Hi all!

I have an ESP-LTD F250. I like the guitar's body, especially it's neck-through design, which makes it a lot easier when I solo.

The problem I have with this one: I really hate the bridge pick-up. I basically just hate the EMG sound, but I didn't realize that I hated EMG pick-ups when I was shopping for a guitar five years ago.

I think eventually I will switch to a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS, but at this moment, I don't really have enough money for an expensive guitar like that. So I was wondering if it's going to work if I simply change the pick-up.

Also, if there's any suggestion for pick-ups, please let me know.

Thank you so very much.
If your in the USA look at GFS pickups if your on a budget. I installed a set of there Fat Pats in my dean Evo and the sound really good kinda like a JB. And the best part is they areonly like $32 a piece!! you can get a set for less than 1 Duncan.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just keep in mind you're using EMG-HZ's which really kinda suck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

+1

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by oneblackened

+1

Passive EMGs are horrible.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
don't know what you guys are pissy about, the passive EMGs sound a lot better to me. not near as cold and lifeless.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
don't know what you guys are pissy about, the passive EMGs sound a lot better to me. not near as cold and lifeless.

Maybe your ears are broken?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
or maybe I've developed my own opinion without outside influence, most of the hate towards any gear is either elitism or bandwagoning
to the TS, i guess it depends somewhat on what kind of music your playing, but clearly your not digging the passive emg's, which i think are an aquired taste. i don't particularly like them, but others may dig them, such as CJ Noble says above.
There's plenty of viable alternatives out there that could bring you the sound your looking for, such as the seymour duncan sh-4jb for example, but as i said, it may somewhat depend on what music your playing?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by CJ Noble
or maybe I've developed my own opinion without outside influence, most of the hate towards any gear is either elitism or bandwagoning

Or maybe you just haven't heard a good pair of passives

Either way, I don't like EMGs in the first place, but if I was going to buy them, they would be actives or nothing. The sterile and lifeless tone is the signature tone of EMGs, if you don't like it, don't waste money on them. In the same price range as their passives, practically every other brand is better

Since I have had guitars with both and have formed my own opinion as well, I respect your views on the matter, but something tells me you've not tried many other brands and perhaps the "bandwaggoning" you speak of plays it's own role in your own decision of why you don't like the actives, but still prefer EMGs
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 26, 2011,
I do like a good pair of duncans, but personally for me it's bartolini or bust

Quote by MatrixClaw
Or maybe you just haven't heard a good pair of passives

Either way, I don't like EMGs in the first place, but if I was going to buy them, they would be actives or nothing. The sterile and lifeless tone is the signature tone of EMGs, if you don't like it, don't waste money on them. In the same price range as their passives, practically every other brand is better

I didn't say passive EMGs were good, I said they were better than active EMGs
Last edited by CJ Noble at Jun 26, 2011,
^ Are we talking GUITAR or BASS pickups now? I don't think I've ever seen Bartolinis in a guitar, though I know they make them. Not a huge fan of their bass pickups either, but if were talking bass, I can see why you like the passives better, they are significantly better than their guitar counterparts, especially with an active EQ on board.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't know what kind of music you play but they're fairly common in Jazz and Funk music, and that's pretty much all I play

And I can't stand Bartolini's bass pickups, Nordstrand is the only way to go for basses
Last edited by CJ Noble at Jun 26, 2011,