Hey y'all.

I was just watching some live performances on youtube and I noticed that The Strokes have 2 amps per guitarist...!

This is the view of one guitarist. The other one has 2 also.
One is mic'ed, and the other isn't.

Why is this ?
Thanks !
Is it two amps or two cabinets? Volume, my friend, volume.
you're a stone fox
Tbh I'm only guessing here
But incase one of the amps cut out

e.g. Lee Malia of BMTH has 4 Cabinets, and 2 Rockerverb heads, 1 as his main (100 watts) and one as his reserve (50 watts)
I think August Burns Red have 2 Cabs per guitarist on stage, yet they only mic one of them....

But as I said, only really guessing
I play through two amps when recording, you get a different sound out of each one and it eliminates the need for double-tracking
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Backup amp, stereo rig, different amps for different sounds... There's honestly a whole lot of reasons.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by alans056
They are 2 fender hot rod devilles. So they are not cabs...
Running two amps in stereo tends to yield a fuller sound.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Different sounds.

Like how James Hetfield uses his Mesa Dual rec for distortion and switches to his Jazz Chorus for cleans
Maybe so they can get a stereo sound?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Fills the stage up. Looks better than having a half empty stage.
Most metal bands that have a wall of Marshall amps and cabs, usually only use 1 or 2 (per guitarists). Sometimes they'll use one if they bring out a guest guitarist or something. But it looks cool
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
theyre the same amp guys, so it's not for different sound.

i think ferret may be right with the stereo
Oh and there are 2 GUITARISTS. So 4 amps on stage.

Each guitarist is stereo ?
It's likely they do it because the guitarists like the sounds of two amps and like to use different amps for different songs, or just like the sound of all the amps being played together. Or it's for a stereo setup (unpractical for stage mostly, but not unheard of). Or they have endorsement deals for some of their stuff going on. Or because it looks cool. Or some other reason I can't think of right now.

Quote by Saint78
Is it two amps or two cabinets? Volume, my friend, volume.

Nope. Maybe in the seventies. Or if your amps are ridiculously small. Nowadays, PA systems provide all the volume you need. If you try to provide the entire volume you need just with the amps you've got on stage... good luck. They will be loud enough in most situations, but your mix will absolutely go to hell.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 26, 2011,
john frusciante uses 6 cabs and 3 heads i think, 2 jubilees and a marshall major
Quote by TheQuailman
It's likely they do it because the guitarists like the sounds of two amps and like to use different amps for different songs, or just like the sound of all the amps being played together. Or it's for a stereo setup (unpractical for stage mostly, but not unheard of). Or they have endorsement deals for some of their stuff going on. Or because it looks cool. Or some other reason I can't think of right now.

Nope. Maybe in the seventies. Or if your amps are ridiculously small. Nowadays, PA systems provide all the volume you need. If you try to provide the entire volume you need just with the amps you've got on stage... good luck. They will be loud enough in most situations, but your mix will absolutely go to hell.

Oh, I just assumed do to the fact that the band plays huge crowds, I forgot about PA's.
you're a stone fox
i have been known to use 3 amps on stage at once, i usually use at least 2 for gigs with my band. if i am just sitting in with some people i just use 1.

my band is power trio, i use stereo field tricks to make my guitar sound a bit bigger, makes you hear more stuff. stereo delay, mutron biphase and my vibe effect create huge sounds live. also allows for more overlapping projection area.

i use 2 amps when i just want a stereo field and this also allows for me to keep playing if one of my amps does go down. i use 3 amps when i want a stereo field and a wet/dry setup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I played a gig with three amps once.

Two Vox AC30s - Ran in stereo, one completely dry and the other with reverb, and delay.
I also used a Marshall JCM800 for the high gain stuff, so I could switch between a clean sound, clean sound with reverb/delay, and high gain.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

90% of the time i play it is in stereo or stereo plus one.

stereo is Splawns

stereo +1 is Splawns and Bassman (for cleans)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I run my Goldfinger and Metropolis simultaneously (using each to emphasize certain frequencies). By doing this, I have an incredibly deep sound with the growl of a plexi and the chime of an AC30. The cleans are warmer/deeper and the dirt is more articulate. For effects, the 2 preamps are sent into a custom Suhr mixer along with an Axe-Fx Ultra and then sent to a wet Bogner 212. This type of set-up allows me to take up much more sonic space since my band is essentially a 3 piece (bass, drums, guitar -- the singer occasionally plays piano or acoustic guitar). In other words, my rig sound HUGE.

Some bands use two amps as a big channel switcher (one for clean, one for dirt) or for stereo effects.
Quote by colin617
I run my Goldfinger and Metropolis simultaneously (using each to emphasize certain frequencies). By doing this, I have an incredibly deep sound with the growl of a plexi and the chime of an AC30. The cleans are warmer/deeper and the dirt is more articulate. For effects, the 2 preamps are sent into a custom Suhr mixer along with an Axe-Fx Ultra and then sent to a wet Bogner 212. This type of set-up allows me to take up much more sonic space since my band is essentially a 3 piece (bass, drums, guitar -- the singer occasionally plays piano or acoustic guitar). In other words, my rig sound HUGE.

Some bands use two amps as a big channel switcher (one for clean, one for dirt) or for stereo effects.
What speakers on the Bogner?

Quote by Ippon
What speakers on the Bogner?

Scumback H75 & M75 in the 412 and wet 212. Celestion blue in the Metropolis.
The amount of amps that someone like, for example, Mark Tremonti will have onstage and actually use makes two amps seem like a mini practice rig in the bedroom. I mean...two Fender Twin Reverbs plus his recto clean channel for cleans? Then two different heads for dirty rhythm and another head to mix in for leads? Whatever makes ya happy bro...but anyway, you get the picture. Different tones. Other people have pointed out that it could also be for looks or for backup There's lot's of reasons.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I run a couple of amps at once from time to time.
A recent gig we played I had my wet signal going straight into my AC30 and ran the dry line out from my delay into a Trent head (old Aussie amp) that was just breaking up in tone and starting to crunch. Both were mic'ed up and I placed a few feet between them on stage. Being the only guitar player in that band I felt I needed a "bigger" sound and achieved suitable results.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.