I've been searching the internet on how to set EQ tone settings to try and best match Tools, The Pot. Does anyone have an idea on where the bass, low and high mids, and treble should be to try and sound close to that? Obviously it wont match it since JCs rig is insane but I just want close haha
Thanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
*REPORTED*
Settings thread aren't allowed
There's an ultimate setting thread on this site. Take a look through there, and if you can't find what you're looking for, ask in that thread.

I was even nice enough to provide a link...
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jun 26, 2011,
crank the drive, flat bass flat treble boost mids

You'll never get close without a Wal bass. those things have a really unique tone.

also, it's much easier to just go ahead and give the OP the answer and inform him that he did something wrong and not to do it again than it is to tell him to go ask in another thread and then answer him there. of course the thread should be closed anyway, but it's a bit silly to just go REPORTED NO SETTINGS THREADS and leave it at that.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32
*REPORTED*
There's an ultimate setting thread on this site. Take a look through there, and if you can't find what you're looking for, ask in that thread.

You're in the bass forum. Settings threads are not against our rules. see here

Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by CJ Noble
crank the drive, flat bass flat treble boost mids

You'll never get close without a Wal bass. those things have a really unique tone.

also, it's much easier to just go ahead and give the OP the answer and inform him that he did something wrong and not to do it again than it is to tell him to go ask in another thread and then answer him there. of course the thread should be closed anyway, but it's a bit silly to just go REPORTED NO SETTINGS THREADS and leave it at that.

thanks, yea sorry about that wont happen again
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by Koshman32
*REPORTED*

guitards.

Anyway, a Wal bass is a huge part of his tone, along with very bright roundwounds. I try and emulate his sound often, you have to remember he plays with a pick as well.
pinga
Bass up, mids down, treb even. Try starting here. I've got Justin's tone down. Similar to mid-80s Steve Harris with some more bass and a little less mids.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by deeptubes
Bass up, mids down, treb even. Try starting here. I've got Justin's tone down. Similar to mid-80s Steve Harris with some more bass and a little less mids.

You'd really equate Justin to Steve Harris?
Quote by GrStMyGn

Oh man, ash has turned his hat backwards... $41+ is about to hit the fan....
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
EQ is for tweaking, and even then it is useless us making suggestions without us being able to hear your current tone.

Bright stainless steel strings and a pick would be a big help though

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I've found the best way is brand new roundwounds with an active preamp into a Sansamp pedal/simulation of one. With a pick.

Gets me pretty close on my Warwick.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I've found the best way is brand new roundwounds with an active preamp into a Sansamp pedal/simulation of one. With a pick.

Gets me pretty close on my Warwick.

It's hard to get his tone once your strings have started to mellow out
pinga
Quote by GrStMyGn

Tone-wise they are somewhat similar. I'm particularly thinking about the album Powerslave for comparison. I had my eq set for Steve Harris for many, many years. About two years ago, I changed it to Justin's sound-like. Minimal was tweaking involved. C'mon li'l bro! I've been playing for 25 years!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by deeptubes

I don't see how Justin and Steve could have similar tones at all. Justin plays a Wal with a pick on roundwounds (I believe) running into a GK head, whereas Steve plays a P-Bass with his fingers on flatwounds running into a custom made amp.

But I don't hear it anyway just from listening.
I thought his point was that the amp settings are similar. The differences are in the strings used, the bass and the playing technique.

Oh and the actual amp brand/model.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think