I know the pres on the focusrite interfaces are pretty solid, but I was wondering if they're loud enough to plug an sm7b right in? Anyone have any experience with this mic and pre combination?
First of all the SM7B is a dynamic mic, so you shouldn't have any issues with volume. The gain on their interfaces is clean and powerful.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I know it's dynamic, but a couple of different websites mention that it sounds best with a high-gain, transparent pre-amp and since I don't have the Focusrite yet, I was just curious if those pres fit the bill and I can get the most out of the mic.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
First of all the SM7B is a dynamic mic, so you shouldn't have any issues with volume. The gain on their interfaces is clean and powerful.

well I am pretty sure dynamics mics are a lot quieter than condensers...because they don't have power running to them (quieter in two was actually if u think about it) so yes I would worry about it if worrying about pre-amps.

I believe I have heard the Saffire 6 has some of the best pre-amps in that price range so you should be completely fine with it.
with the sm7b you will need to crank the gain a little bit more because the dyaphram is 3 inches away from the end ot the mic
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL