im left handed and i have an Ibanez RG370DXL that i bought a few years ago...but since then i learned a lot about guitar and tone..and i think i have a very good idea about how i want my guitar. but i dont know if such specs exist in something that isnt custom shop or over $1000

im currently saving to upgrade my guitar, but i dont know what im working for and being left handed im even more limited for choice

here are my specs:
-left handed
-superstrat shape, i actually like the Ibanez sharp cutaways so something similar
-not downsized if possible
-alder body, less inclined to mahogany
-bolt on neck,maple with ebony fretboard,fast thin neck,compound radius, must have 24 jumbo frets nothing less
-H-S-H pickup configuration
-a floyd rose i wont have to upgrade that stays in tune
-locking tuners
-price not over 1000$
-not a schecter

so what are my options?
I would look into getting a custom instrument from Warmoth. it's pricey but will end up being exactly what you want and set up exactly how you want
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
You're really not going to get anything closer than a Jackson DK2L. It's HSS, but you can put a humbucker sized single coil in the neck to make it HSH.

As for the ebony fretboard, you're not going to find that on any guitar under $1000, regardless.

Locking tuners are really useless with a floyd rose. Not sure why you'd want those.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by CJ Noble
I would look into getting a custom instrument from Warmoth. it's pricey but will end up being exactly what you want and set up exactly how you want

i checked it and it gonna cost a lot to get the specs right theyr very expensive, also resale value is low so its kinda risky
Are you sure you don't mean a locking nut? Would be more appropriate with a floyd.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Offworld92
You're really not going to get anything closer than a Jackson DK2L. It's HSS, but you can put a humbucker sized single coil in the neck to make it HSH.

As for the ebony fretboard, you're not going to find that on any guitar under $1000, regardless.

Locking tuners are really useless with a floyd rose. Not sure why you'd want those.

i thought locking tuners offered more tuning stability than locking nuts...maybe i should read more about this
the problem with jacksons is that their bodies are a bit downsized
okay so scratching out the ebony fretboard, any more options i got?
i could stretch the budget above 1000$ but not very far
Quote by Alijonroth
i checked it and it gonna cost a lot to get the specs right theyr very expensive, also resale value is low so its kinda risky

no need for resale if its the perfect guitar
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

umm a ibanez rg880 i believe its called its 800 dollars...and i think it has a locking nut...ive played it and its really good actually thinking abot getting it myself
I don't know if any of them have ebony fretboards, but Yamaha's RGX models are alder super strats. There are numerous left handed variants too. I think most of them have bubinga or roewood fretboards

Yamaha RGX 421 D LH
http://en.audiofanzine.com/left-handed-electric-guitar/yamaha/RGX-421-D-LH/medias/a.play,m.215721.html

But you'll have to keep an eye on ebay, cos Yamaha don't make them anymore

EDIT: Can't you just replace tuners?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
a higher quality ibanez?

they are all freakin black! i mean left handed ones, no finish options...i could go for it tho but its a it of a turn off u knw?
Last edited by Alijonroth at Jun 26, 2011,
Either stretch you budget a little bit or swing one of these used, they're real nice, but damn it looks awkward left-handed.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG1550ML

She's not Alder, Or even Mahogany, And there's no ebony (Probably too far off now) but the rest should be good.

That's the best I could do for you in quick time.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
You can get (real) Ebony boards on guitars under a grand. Kramer has them on some of their Assaults for under $500 and my Gary Kramer Custom was $600 factory direct ($850 in stores) and has an Ebony board. I know there are plenty of other guitars as well for under a grand with real Ebony boards.

TS
Since your left handed I cant help you much but by saying listen to suggestions on here and just keep looking. If you have no luck just go custom and you can get exactly what you want. Finding a production guitar with all your specs and an Ebony fretboard will be hard since Ebony is not very common like Maple and Rosewood.

where can i get a custom with all specs for a price thats not too high? and is it possible to find a production guitar with these specs and a rosewood or maple board?
Quote by chadreed32
Either stretch you budget a little bit or swing one of these used, they're real nice, but damn it looks awkward left-handed.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG1550ML

She's not Alder, Or even Mahogany, And there's no ebony (Probably too far off now) but the rest should be good.

That's the best I could do for you in quick time.

Basswood i want a change from that, it feels so....empty, i played a strat and THAT was wood! only it lacked frets,buckers and a floyd
i think you need to be less picky tbh, there's a lot of great guitars been suggested and you've struck all of them down. you could perhaps try a hss strat and have a floyd put on later maybe or something like that
Quote by Way Cool JR.
You can get (real) Ebony boards on guitars under a grand. Kramer has them on some of their Assaults for under $500 and my Gary Kramer Custom was $600 factory direct ($850 in stores) and has an Ebony board. I know there are plenty of other guitars as well for under a grand with real Ebony boards.

TS
Since your left handed I cant help you much but by saying listen to suggestions on here and just keep looking. If you have no luck just go custom and you can get exactly what you want. Finding a production guitar with all your specs and an Ebony fretboard will be hard since Ebony is not very common like Maple and Rosewood.

I have a bass with an ebony fretboard that cost me $600, it's not terribly hard to find

but ebony is way too thin sounding I don't understand why anyone would want it when they've already got a floyd.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by teh_goon
i think you need to be less picky tbh, there's a lot of great guitars been suggested and you've struck all of them down. you could perhaps try a hss strat and have a floyd put on later maybe or something like that

okay will try to make it easier and not ask for the perfect guitar basically what im looking for is a good quality left handed Ibanez-like guitar with an alder body, does that exist?
I did a Carvin mock up and it came out to about $1300, without any blatant extras. You can do it yourself here: http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/

I didn't see an option for compound radius fretboard though. (I did the C66)

EDIT: Just realized that none of the bolt on models have 24 frets, so that's useless to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 26, 2011,

/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the Dinky body? It is smaller, but it's not a problem. It's like they took a regular strat and trimmed the fat off to make it sleeker.

I haven't put it side by side with other superstrats, but most of them will be the same. Compare them to a regular strat, and the strat will be a lot 'chunkier'. Most of them were modelled off the dinky/soloist anyway.
Quote by Alijonroth
i thought locking tuners offered more tuning stability than locking nuts...

Absolutely not. Any slippage in the nut causes problems with heavy trem use, no matter how firmly the strings are locked to the tuners. Locking nuts eliminate this factor.

Quote by Alijonroth

Not Jacksons in general. The Soloist is definitely bigger than an Ibanez RG. Do you realize that the body of your Ibanez and that of a Dinky are basically the same size, which is 7/8ths the size of a Soloist body?

I really think the suggested Dinky is your best option as far as I can see. It's alder. It has a bolt-on maple neck with 24 jumbo frets AND a compound radius. Has a rather nice lo-pro Floyd. Is a superstrat. Is actually not really downsized compared to what you're used to. It's way below a grand and is not a Schecter. The only thing it lacks from your list is the ebony fretboard and the neck humbucker. It even has proper Seymour Duncans so if you wanna switch the pickups then the stock ones will be worth a bunch.
okay thanks for your help everyone...i guess im gonna keep looking, maybe I'll check the jackson Dinkys!