'sup.

I've been looking for a new amp for a few weeks now, and I've got a couple narrowed down, so maybe you guys could give me some help picking one.

I went to this really nice guitar shop yesterday in search of a new amp. I tried out a Vox VT20+, a Peavey Vypyr 30 and a Spider IV 15.

I first played the Spider IV, and holy shit the Metal setting was insanely good. Sounded really nice with my guitar, and I loved the clean channel with a bit of chorus too. I wasn't too keen on the OD or the Insane channel as they just felt like they were missing something...

The Vypyr was complicated, and I didn't really mess around with it too much. Having watched some YT videos of it, I'll defo try it once more as it sounds fantastic when someone who knows how to use it to it's full potential.

I wasn't too keen on the Vox VT20+ really. I play mostly metal, and this amp really didn't get the high gain I was wanting. The effects were nice, but I didn't think they made up for the distortion.

So my list is now:

Peavey Vypyr 30
Spider IV 30 (I'd probably get the louder one as it has more effects etc)
Cube 20/40 (Yet to try one of these, but I will do at some point)

So yeah. My budget is around £150, I play Metal, Rock and Hard Rock, but I'd also like a lot of modelling options to mess around with. My guitar is a Westfield E4000 Les Paul, and my current amp is a Marshall MG10 with a Behringer UM300 and EQ700. It's mainly for bedroom practice and band practice when I eventually start one.
Last edited by BigSmokeDawg at Jun 26, 2011,
Given the amps you've stated above I would recommend the Cube every time. It may also be worth looking at the Fender Mustang (although I haven't played one)

If you saved a lil bit more you could aim to get something along the lines of a Blackstar HT5 but I wouldn't say it is necessary, yet
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Last edited by barnesybaby at Jun 26, 2011,
I really really really dont like saying this, but you should save up. You already have something to play on, and honestly with any of the amps mentioned you will just find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner than you think.
Quote by barnesybaby
Given the amps you've stated above I would recommend the Cube every time. It may also be worth looking at the Fender Mustang (although I haven't played one)

If you saved a lil bit more you could aim to get something along the lines of a Blackstar HT5 but I wouldn't say it is necessary, yet

If he wants high gain, the mustang will PWN the cube and spider, but not the peavy...get the vypyr.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you want an amp for a band, you should probably save up and get something better/louder.

The Vypyr is the best out of those though. Most versatile, most "real" sounding. I swear by them, and love them. I'm on my 3rd one right now, haha
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.