Is there a way to reduce string tension without downtuning? The problem is that the floyd rose on my ibanez rga42t(edge 3 tremolo i think) is being pulled up towards the headstock (as if i were holding down the whammy bar) and the springs are in as far as they'll go. i've tried temporarily blocking the trem but it simply reverted to being wrong when i took out the block. I cannot tune to as the increase in string tension pulls the trem further up, thus detuning the strings. what can i do to fix this?
you could add another spring to your floyd, or use thinner strings, i had the same problem with my rg350 and just ended up blocking it
smaller gauge strings or add another spring or two. changing the action or the intonation will work but i don't know how to do that on a tremolo bridge
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

there isn't space for another spring and i don't really want to use thinner strings. How woould changing the action help things though? it would also be helpful if anyone could explain why this has happened
LOL, no more space in the back? How many springs do you exactly have in there?

Please don't say all 5, 'cos I went to my local guitar store the other day and they had some professional dude giving free guitar setups: suddenly a kid comes up to to him with some ridiculous string gauge, like .014-.078 or something, an the dude just freaked out

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
there are 3 springs in the back, but only 3 holes. and i'm using ernie ball 10s so there should be no need to freak out

you mention five springs as if that would be bad though, is 5 springs a problem?, sorry to seem picky but it's a frustrating thing to have a useless guitar
Last edited by teh_goon at Jun 26, 2011,
How tilted forward is your trem? The Edge 3 has a tilted baseplate, and is supposed to be at an angle, A picture could determine if it is correct. And you may just need lighter strings, or just adjust the claw in the back.
Where's Waldo?
at the moment it's only slightly tilted forward but the strings are all about half a step down, when i tune up, the trem goes further up. if i could stop of going up when i tuned it that would solve the problem, but my attempts to do so thus far have failed.

Thanks for the help so far btw, especially as threads like thus are pretty common
are you using ernie ball regular slinkys or skinny top heavy bottoms? because on my rg regulars were as heavy as i could go before it tilted forward too much
i feel really ****ing stupid now..., i'm not certain, but i think i've got the gauges mixed up and used the a and low e from a set of 12s or something, as my other guitar uses 12's, this makes sense as i put i thought was an A on and it was a 46, and the e is thicker, presumably a 56 i've put in the wrong packet
Last edited by teh_goon at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
i feel really ****ing stupid now..., i'm not certain, but i think i've got the gauges mixed up and used the a and low e from a set of 12s or something, as my other guitar uses 12's, this makes sense as i put i thought was an A on and it was a 46, and the e is thicker, presumably a 56 i've put in the wrong packet

46 on an A? no wonder you trem is messed up. On my 9's the E is a 42, so your E with a pack of 10's should be the 46.
Where's Waldo?