What's up dudes. I have a Peavey Ultra Plus 120 which I just started using and playing live with. Everything seems a-ok most of the time, but every now and then at practice (and twice at a show last night) I will get a loud squealing noise while playing. However, if I smack the top of the head it goes away completely and is back to normal.

I had a reliable tech check the head out and he said everything seemed fine, tubes seem fine and are not very old at all. Any help would definitely be appreciated on pinpointing and fixing this problem.
That usually means a microphonic tube or bad component, but I suppose if a tech checked it that can't be the problem...
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
You sure it's not just feedback?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
def. not just feedback. it's a loud squeal that rarely pops up, but when it does seems to soar over everything else in volume. you can still hear my playing, just a loud screech over it. then when I smack the top of the head with my hand, it stops completely.
Quote by paulsitive
def. not just feedback. it's a loud squeal that rarely pops up, but when it does seems to soar over everything else in volume. you can still hear my playing, just a loud screech over it. then when I smack the top of the head with my hand, it stops completely.

Microphonics
are you using a gate?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Indeed. doesnt seem to have anything to do with the noise gate. It's like a tube going microphonic, except when I smack the top of the head it goes away. I've tapped all tubes (power and preamp) with a pencil and heard nothing. I'm out of ideas.
If it stops when you hit the amp its most likely a tube.
Try reseating all the preamp tubes
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean