So for whatever reason I've been fixated on the Nirvana album Bleach for about 3 months now, and I've decided that I'm going to try to recreate/record the entire album for myself. I need to get as close to the sound as possible, so I need advice. I'll list the equipment I have, and we'll go from there.

Guitars -
Epiphone G400
Ibanez RG350
Xaviere XV-599
G&L Tribute Series S500
Ibanez AXD83P

Effects -
Ibanez ToneLok DE7
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
Vox Tonelab ST

Amps -
Blackheart Little Giant
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Peavey Transtube 212 EFX

Software/Hardware/Mics
Line 6 TonePort UX2
Gearbox Software
Pod Farm
Shure SM57 Mic

From what I can tell, Kurt pretty much stayed on the bridge pickup all the time during this time period, but it looks like some guitars were humbuckers, others single coils, and others were single coil sized humbuckers, and rail style pickups. I just sat down for about an hour last night and got the closest to his sound using the Xaviere XV-599 in the bridge position with the Peavey Transtube on the dirty channel using the 'vintage' setting with the gain turned almost all the way up.

Before I start trying to record this, just wanted any advice anyone might have on getting closer to the sound, and I'm not above buying some extra pieces of gear as long as they aren't super expensive. Actually, I think I'm halfway convinced to buy a Rat pedal. Any suggestions from anyone?
http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

This might be of some help. Click on recording & tour gear.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
^^ that site should have everything you need.
I would say getting a Boss DS-1 would get you closer to Bleach than a Rat
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
New ds-1's don't like the ones kurt was using. My mate got a japanese ds-1 pretty cheap and it is miles better then the newer ones. If you can find a cheap japanese ds-1, get it.
Quote by leo4sf
^this and a truck load of heroin.

No, Bleach was the pre-heroin album. Replace the heroin with raw anger. Later the heroin changed the raw anger to a dark ironic sense of humor, I think.
Quote by katalyzt13
No, Bleach was the pre-heroin album. Replace the heroin with raw anger. Later the heroin changed the raw anger to a dark ironic sense of humor, I think.

No the raw anger isnt until In Utero, when you hate how the mainstream is using your music and have an attention ***** of a wife. Nevermind is the heroin album, and I think he always had a dark ironic sense of humor?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
^^^ People arguing over someone none of us ever knew. Priceless.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I remember reading that Kurt recorded Bleach on a Fender Twin Reverb with a ds-1 so you might want to try scooping your mids a tiny bit to get that Fender-y sound.