I am currently in the process of using my now discontinued Epiphone '56 Goldtop as a guinea pig, and I noticed something....

When I stripped all the paint off and exposed all the wood, I noticed the neck IS NOT Mahogany as all the ads all over the internet state.

I can tell you this. It has a long tenon, which is period correct, but the neck is what has me scratching my head... Anyone ran across something similar to this?
my camera's battery is dead or I would've posted pics. sorry. but the Neck is Maple. (70's Les Paul version's) I will get my dad in laws camera tomorrow and will certainly post the pics.

Nevermind.. I just found my charger... pics will be up in a few minutes... stand by....
Last edited by ELLIOTT_ANGELA at Jun 26, 2011,
the grain looks like poplar to me, i can't say for sure though.

either maple or poplar.
sure looks like maple to me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
So, I know they make some models with maple necks, but why would they put a maple neck on a 56 gold top and try to sell it off as mahogany?

Thank got I haven't removed the serial number....
Quote by ELLIOTT_ANGELA
So, I know they make some models with maple necks, but why would they put a maple neck on a 56 gold top and try to sell it off as mahogany?

Thank got I haven't removed the serial number....

they probably ran out of mahogany necks.

i didn't say it made a negative impact, just that it appeared to be maple to me.

i thought you were asking.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
they probably ran out of mahogany necks.

i didn't say it made a negative impact, just that it appeared to be maple to me.

i thought you were asking.

I was... this is the result of thinking out loud...
Quote by CodeMonk
Stripping a Gold Top should be a crime.

Altho i see your point, but whats done is done. I also gutted out the P-90's and routed out the body for humbuckers. Now it has pearly gates, too.

will that get me a death sentence?

To wit: I had always dreamed of a 1979 Les Paul Std in Natural. And I basically had this "canvas" for it. I mean think about it, a larger portion of LP's from the 70's and early 80's (I believe they made them into the 80's, not 100% on that) Had Maple necks.

I'm not angry by any stretch. I'm actually overjoyed, but I am disgusted at how much polyurethane was on it... just covered up the wood like it was an old cackling granny that every child thinks will just shove them in the oven. I'm actually glad I stripped off all the paint. I shoved that ugly old lady in her own oven.
Last edited by ELLIOTT_ANGELA at Jun 27, 2011,
A Goldtop WITH P90's?
Death penalty.
But a slow and painful one.

Probably because something like this is my dream guitar:

But a natural finish can be nice as well.
Have fun!
LOL!

Oh certainly doing this to an irreplaceable classic like that pic would certainly merit getting my head cut off with a spoon.

I hated the p-90's in this one I have here... the neck one was ok, but the bridge pup just sounded like complete garbage, and I couldn't afford to replace them both. So I had this pearly gates I got as an anniversary present. And I wanted a natural.... so I did this. I will post more pics later of the front, and the sides as well. I got to get just a bit more varnish off, then it will be completely naked., I'll be sure to rub it down with mineral spirits before taking the pics so you guys can see the wood grain. the top is PLAIN, but its amazing! What concerns me at this point in the binding....

I can remove it and replace it (seen a few vids on youtube, and it looks feasible enough) but I can't seem to find any vids on how to do replace the neck binding... (btw, the frets extend over the top of the binding, on this guitar) So, I'm hesitant....

What do you guys think?
Last edited by ELLIOTT_ANGELA at Jun 27, 2011,
Removing neck binding? Your nuts.
It's feasible, just i would never do it.

Strip off all the frets
set up a rail system for the router, since the FB is curved.
Route out the old binding for the new with a proper bit.
Bind it, refret/redress/etc

Not impossible, but not something i would want to do. Why do you want
to replace the binding? Color not suit you or something?

Edit: and yeah, that's a maple neck.
To who said poplar:Anyone with any sense would not make a poplar neck. The only way that would work is with carbon fiber supports and one hell of a truss rod.
fyi.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jun 27, 2011,
No, its not the color or anything like that, its just that I wanted the experience of actually doing it, but yea, I'm gonna have to wait awhile before I consider doing something like that. I can make the jig, but I don't have the proper bits or the router.

I was thinking of doing a triple-ply binding, but I'll stick to what i am doing for now. LOL
You my friend deserve to be hung. gold tops are sacred but a gold top with a pearly gates need to be worshiped...... billy Gibbons

In all though good on you for trying to make the guitar your own. lets just hope you do it justice. but taking out the neck binding is where it starts to got messy
I re-bound a neck without a router. The old thing had seen such bad days that the binding was falling out in pieces. (and the fretboard had separated from the neck.) I just smoothed the remaining lumps with a file and glued it back together with new binding, no re-fretting etc etc. I did lift one or two frets a bit, and pounded a few more down. Maybe I was just lucky.