Page 1 of 2
My guitar is an Ibanez S5EX1:

and the stock INF pickups suck. I'm looking to replace them all.

What would be a good combination of three pickups that would be great for a range of styles? In terms of tone, I'm thinking of pretty much everything from As I Lay Dying to Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and then something like Marty Friedman's Night (LINK, skip to 0:31).

The tone I want to avoid above all is shrill and trebly. Think Synyster Gates' tone , or to a lesser extent, Dimebag Darryl. I'd like to stick with passives.

thanks a ton!

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 26, 2011,

Sorry. I'm just very bored of these threads

Get Dimarzio's
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
(Invalid img)

Sorry. I'm just very bored of these threads

Get Dimarzio's

There are only three types of threads in the Electric Guitar forum

But that's what I was just looking at. Which Dimarzios, and where?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Altho the truck was uncalled for, he's right. if you know what sound you are shooting for, do you homework, the internet is a fascinating place. Dimebag used Bill Lawrence XL500's in the bridge and JB 59's in the neck.

Syn's sound is by and far waaaay different from Dimes... he uses ALOT of rack effects, other than the pups or the guitar, you'll never be able to attain his sound because he changes gear more than he changes underwear. His guitar is never the same either. they are usually one-offs or prototypes, but you can get close enough just by using SD Inavders, but IMO the tone is horrible. You'd be better off getting Dimarzio Super Distortions. But in the end its always up to you.

EDIT: The new XL500L's or XL500XL's are horrible remakes of the original. If you find someone selling an ORIGINAL 80's model, GRAB IT UP! And the Dean models are just absolute Garbage IMO.
Last edited by ELLIOTT_ANGELA at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by ELLIOTT_ANGELA
Altho the truck was uncalled for, he's right. if you know what sound you are shooting for, do you homework, the internet is a fascinating place. Dimebag used Bill Lawrence XL500's in the bridge and JB 59's in the neck.

Syn's sound is by and far waaaay different from Dimes... he uses ALOT of rack effects, other than the pups or the guitar, you'll never be able to attain his sound because he changes gear more than he changes underwear. His guitar is never the same either. they are usually one-offs or prototypes, but you can get close enough just by using SD Inavders, but IMO the tone is horrible. You'd be better off getting Dimarzio Super Distortions. But in the end its always up to you.

My post says that I dislike Dimebag's tone and hate syn's tone. Those were examples of what I want to AVOID. hence the puking face
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Evo II bridge (evo is really sensitive). Edit* evo 1 that is.... (im getting the tone zone but sounds like u want something a wee bit hotter.)
Air norton Or paf pro in the neck.

Dimarzio does have a pickup picker.

Synyster plays 100% through a compressor. Thats prolly it.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 26, 2011,
Consider getting a Dimarzio Tone Zone for the bridge and an Evolution for the neck. Very versitile pickups. They're great for shred and hard rock, but also clean up extremly well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
ahh, you should try something with a more rounded tone, like a pearly gates, or a PAF. or the 57 classics. you can get the epiphone versions, if money is a issue.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Consider getting a Dimarzio Tone Zone for the bridge and an Evolution for the neck. Very versitile pickups. They're great for shred and hard rock, but also clean up extremly well.

I've heard the tone zones... They have more pronounced mids. the evo's seem to "mud out" in the neck, IMO, but the bridge model is cool.

Oh yea, sorry to plug this, but if you look on Dimarzio's website, they have sound bytes of each of their pup's if you wanna hear them
Hope you play Incredibly cleanly if you put an evolution in. Noisiest pups I have ever heard.
Although in my buddys totman iceman it does have infinite sustain.
Dunno if thats the pup or a piezo tho....?

Btw sweet looking guitar, too bad for those awful INF's.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 26, 2011,
^thank you! I love it.

Money is not really an issue here, I just want to get what will sound good. It'll be worth the money in the end.

So now I'm torn between an Evo and Evo II in the bridge. From what you guys are saying, the Evo 1 is hotter, which I prefer, but it is also noisy. I'd learn to play cleaner, but if the Evo II sounds really similar without that noise, I might pick that.

What's a good PAF pickup for the neck position?

edit:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=the_mule

^that sounds beautiful and is exactly what i'm looking for in the neck.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 26, 2011,
There's a shop by my house called solidbodyguitar that sells BKP. Here's the website: www.solidbodyguitar.com

They can probably get you a pretty good price on the pickups compared to ordering them direct from BKP
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
There's a shop by my house called solidbodyguitar that sells BKP. Here's the website: www.solidbodyguitar.com

They can probably get you a pretty good price on the pickups compared to ordering them direct from BKP

Yeah, I just looked and it was $200

that's more than 1/4 the price of the guitar itself!

thanks.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
There are only three types of threads in the Electric Guitar forum

NGDs are my favorite
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Well, BKP are $200, plus then some fun shipping charges from shipping from the UK. I'm not sure, but SBG might be able to eliminate the price a little. Give them a call if you want an estimate. I really want them to stay open so one day I can walk in and buy something off the wall or floor.

It's all really expensive and makes me cry a little when I go in there for emergency strings.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well, BKP are $200, plus then some fun shipping charges from shipping from the UK. I'm not sure, but SBG might be able to eliminate the price a little. Give them a call if you want an estimate. I really want them to stay open so one day I can walk in and buy something off the wall or floor.

It's all really expensive and makes me cry a little when I go in there for emergency strings.

I just googled around and there is a store right here in NYC that stocks BKPs as well. I'll check them out first, because if I can eliminate shipping from Minnesota, I'd love to.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by OliOsbourne
NGDs are my favorite

I'll post and NPD (new pickup day) with sound clips when I get mine
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
I just googled around and there is a store right here in NYC that stocks BKPs as well. I'll check them out first, because if I can eliminate shipping from Minnesota, I'd love to.

Haha, yeah that's a little smarter. I've been trying to figure out a way to let me people in on it, but making a thread would be advertising.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Haha, yeah that's a little smarter. I've been trying to figure out a way to let me people in on it, but making a thread would be advertising.

ahh.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
My post says that I dislike Dimebag's tone and hate syn's tone. Those were examples of what I want to AVOID. hence the puking face

Dime's tone was great man! but i agree with you 110% on syn, but its all preferece i guess (dime actually put his bl in backwards to make an amazingly highgain pickup. bnut put it in normally its still an amazing pickup.)
but id go for:
a seymour duncan STK-S2 in the middle
sh 2 in the neck
SH-11 in bridge
\m/
Blacktooth grin
getcha muthafuckin' pull
Doesn't this belong in the GB&C PUP thread?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^ no

Quote by DimebagZappa
(a) Evo II bridge (evo is really sensitive). Edit* evo 1 that is.... (im getting the tone zone but sounds like u want something a wee bit hotter.)
Air norton Or paf pro in the neck.

(b) Dimarzio does have a pickup picker.

(a) the evo II is still pretty trebly.

(b) yeah and it's frickin' useless. it basically just recommends the tone zone for everything.

I mean the tone zone would work for less treble, but that might be cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

Quote by ELLIOTT_ANGELA
the evo's seem to "mud out" in the neck, IMO,

I agree with you, i'm not too fussed on it either (though admittedly i have it in a 22 fret guitar, which is going to make it a bit muddier/warmer).

Quote by fearofthemark

So now I'm torn between an Evo and Evo II in the bridge.

wait, you don't want a bright pickup and you're looking at an evo or evo II? Not sure that's reallly the best plan there...

do you have a budget? what amp do you have?

bareknuckles (the ones i've tried anyway) are very nice, but very expensive if you're in the USA. Might make more sense to check out some of the US-based handwinders (I haven't tried them, though; for much the same reasons, only reversed, I've stuck to the UK-based pickup makers).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no
(a) the evo II is still pretty trebly.

(b) yeah and it's frickin' useless. it basically just recommends the tone zone for everything.

I mean the tone zone would work for less treble, but that might be cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

I agree with you, i'm not too fussed on it either (though admittedly i have it in a 22 fret guitar, which is going to make it a bit muddier/warmer).

wait, you don't want a bright pickup and you're looking at an evo or evo II? Not sure that's reallly the best plan there...

do you have a budget? what amp do you have?

bareknuckles (the ones i've tried anyway) are very nice, but very expensive if you're in the USA. Might make more sense to check out some of the US-based handwinders (I haven't tried them, though; for much the same reasons, only reversed, I've stuck to the UK-based pickup makers).

I have a Peavey Classic 30, and in terms of budget, I'd rather not spend over $120 for a pickup. I fell in love with the BKP Rebel Yells, but when I saw that they were $200, I died a little inside. I found one on ebay that i'm keeping my eye on though.

I guess I'm just looking for a pickup combination that would let me play chunky metal/metalcore riffs, van halen style leads, mellow cleans, and overdriven blues.

When I said that I didn't want trebly, I meant that I really hate this ear-piercing tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOU8ydLDH4
(at 0:54)
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
I have a Peavey Classic 30, and in terms of budget, I'd rather not spend over $120 for a pickup. I fell in love with the BKP Rebel Yells, but when I saw that they were $200, I died a little inside. I found one on ebay that i'm keeping my eye on though.

I guess I'm just looking for a pickup combination that would let me play chunky metal/metalcore riffs, van halen style leads, mellow cleans, and overdriven blues.

When I said that I didn't want trebly, I meant that I really hate this ear-piercing tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOU8ydLDH4
(at 0:54)

yeah ok, i get what you mean. i'd still avoid the evo.

and yeah, take a look at some of the US-based handwinders, some of them may be under budget- bg pickups, high order, wcr, wolfetone, motor city, etc. etc. etc. I haven't tried any of them, but they're bound to be worth a look if you want something different from the usual duncans or dimarzios.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah ok, i get what you mean. i'd still avoid the evo.

and yeah, take a look at some of the US-based handwinders, some of them may be under budget- bg pickups, high order, wcr, wolfetone, motor city, etc. etc. etc. I haven't tried any of them, but they're bound to be worth a look if you want something different from the usual duncans or dimarzios.

Yeah, on second thought, you're right. Herman Li uses Evos with an S series ibanez and I don't like his tone much. sounds a bit too much like a MIDI keyboard

I think I found what I want though.

Bridge: Tone Zone - relatively high output pickup with a great low end that, like you said, is always recommended.
Middle: Air Norton S - Recommended for pairing with the Tone Zone, and a humbucker in the middle position would rock.
Neck: PAF Pro - Also recommended for pairing with the Tone Zone, gives me a gentler/classic tone, but has more output than the PAF Joe.

I don't think I'm gonna pair the PAF Pro with the Air Norton, so I just have to wire it like this:

Position 1: Bridge only
Position 2: Bridge and middle
Position 3: Middle only
Position 4: Bridge and neck
Position 5: Neck only

Thanks a ton for your help, guys!
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Neck= BKP Geoff Whitehorn "Crawler" Neck
Middle= BKP PAT Pend Strat® Series - '59 Slab Board
Bridge= BKP Alnico "Warpig"

Should handle everything.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
Neck= BKP Geoff Whitehorn "Crawler" Neck
Middle= BKP PAT Pend Strat® Series - '59 Slab Board
Bridge= BKP Alnico "Warpig"

Should handle everything.

That would be more expensive than my guitar itself!
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

just check you can actually wire it like that.

also i'm sure when it recommends the AN it means in the neck position. not saying it can't work in the middle, just that's probably not what they mean.

personally i'd find a proper single coil more useful in the middle. Not to say you necessarily would, just pointing it out.

and when i said the TZ was recommended for everything, i was making fun of dimarzio. I'd only recommend it for very specific tones and guitars.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fearofthemark
That would be more expensive than my guitar itself!

just like amps...your guitar wont sound as good as it could without quality pickups...

Jus' sayin..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Dave_Mc
just check you can actually wire it like that.

also i'm sure when it recommends the AN it means in the neck position. not saying it can't work in the middle, just that's probably not what they mean.

personally i'd find a proper single coil more useful in the middle. Not to say you necessarily would, just pointing it out.

and when i said the TZ was recommended for everything, i was making fun of dimarzio. I'd only recommend it for very specific tones and guitars.

The website recommends the AN S for all positions :p

it's definitely possible. All I'm really doing is switching the functionality of the bridge and middle pickups. Making the bridge pickup act the same way my middle pickup currently does. If I just wire the bridge the same way the middle is wired and vice versa, I should be set.

I know you were joking about the tonezone
But the more I saw of it, the more it sounded like what I wanted.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Controlpanel
just like amps...your guitar wont sound as good as it could without quality pickups...

Jus' sayin..

I getcha. But spending 900 dollars on a 700 dollar guitar wouldn't really be using the pickups' full potential. Plus, dimarzios are pretty damn good pups
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

ah no worries

and yeah i guess you're right about the wiring. but you might have to have the bridge pickup selected in the middle position (LOL).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't mean to be rude, but why Dimarzio? I think a great bridge pickup for you would be the JB or the Custom-5.

Neck pickups, I wouldn't suggest anything. I don't really like the '59, and I've never really messed with a Jazz before.

I use my JB for almost everything. It's a pretty bright pickup. Might be a little bit because of the maple top on my guitar. I wouldn't use it for cleans without mixing it with a neck pickup or using the neck pickup altogether. Unless you like to roll around the tone knob.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah no worries

and yeah i guess you're right about the wiring. but you might have to have the bridge pickup selected in the middle position (LOL).

I just bought and installed the TZ that way (GC didn't have the other two in stock, gotta wait ), and i'm replacing the strings on my floyd now. It was really awkward when I tested the pickup with a screwdriver to see if I soldered it correctly

I'll get used to it though. And it'll be awesome.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I don't mean to be rude, but why Dimarzio? I think a great bridge pickup for you would be the JB or the Custom-5.

Neck pickups, I wouldn't suggest anything. I don't really like the '59, and I've never really messed with a Jazz before.

I use my JB for almost everything. It's a pretty bright pickup. Might be a little bit because of the maple top on my guitar. I wouldn't use it for cleans without mixing it with a neck pickup or using the neck pickup altogether. Unless you like to roll around the tone knob.

I listened to SD's samples of the JB and I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't

Even more so because they were apparently similar to my dream pickup, the BKP Rebel Yell:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/soundclips/humbuckers/contemporary/rebel_yell/rebel_yell-heavy.mp3

That is such a beautiful tone. Crunchy, layered rhythm, exploding leads, everything.

I like Dimarzios. They sound nice. And this configuration seems to have everything I'm looking for.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I'd mix Seymour Duncan with Dimarzio.

On second though... that might create an interstellar portal consuming time and space with the power of the magnetic fields clashing together when you play in the middle position.

EDIT: Also, about those samples, they might be compressed to hell and you should really consider playing a guitar with them already installed. In all honesty, you should perhaps try to find guitars with pickups you have in mind and see if they would be worth your money. The only thing that makes me cringe about buying new pickups is, what if I don't like how they sound?
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'd mix Seymour Duncan with Dimarzio.

On second though... that might create an interstellar portal consuming time and space with the power of the magnetic fields clashing together when you play in the middle position.

I did that with my other guitar, the one I made. Seymour Duncan Dimebucker with a Dimarzio Breed Neck. It sounds beautiful, but I screwed up the wiring and dropped it a few times so it feeds back like a bitch.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I can't believe the Dimebucker didn't eat the Breed. Anyway, I thought maybe I had some useful input.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I can't believe the Dimebucker didn't eat the Breed. Anyway, I thought maybe I had some useful input.

you did

You made me think about what I was going to get, instead of just doing what I did last time "LOL THE DIMEBUCKER IS TREBLY AND THE BREED IS BASSY SO THEY MUST BE PERFECT TOGETHER LOLOLOL". Didn't work out too well, I barely ever used the Breed.

I'm pretty sure I got it right this time, and if I didn't, I tried
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Page 1 of 2