Hey

I recently bought this 2008 MiM Strat and it's an all around great guitar but I really need a more heavy sound from it for the music I play. It's amazing for John Mayer, RHCP, Eric Clapton and all that stuff and the neck pickup is extra warm and nice for those kind of sounds but since I play a lot of hard rock and a little metal (a huge variety of bands but I'm thinking Silverstein, Rev Theory, Rise Against, BFMV, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica) I need some new pickups... I'm thinking of only changing out my bridge pickup since I still want that warm bluesy sound that I get from the neck and middle pickup.

Soooooo I've been thinking of either getting a new pickguard and putting a humbucker in the bridge or getting a single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge. I've been checking out DiMarzio Super Distortion S and a few Seymour Duncans (JB Jr. , Little 59' or Li’l Screamin’ Demon SLSD-1). These all seem to be giving me a better sound with high gain.

So what are your thoughts on this? Should I spend a few extra bucks and get a new pickguard + a humbucker or a single coil sized humbucker and which do you think will fit my needs?
And please no "get a new guitar" comments because I love this guitar to death!
There would be the potential problem if you just swapped out the bridge for something that can handle the tone you are wanting that the output difference between your pickups could be quite large. Ideally you would probably want to have a second guitar for the metal bands.

However, sticking to your request for a choice of pickup: The Super Distortion S would work well as a drop in replacement however a more authentic sound could be achieved by using a full humbucker. Something like the Dimarzio Dual sound has the characteristics of the Super Distortion with the added ability of a 'single coil mode' to allow position 2 of your pup selector to still play some part.

Also: Check out what pups the guys in Iron Maiden use as they pretty much all have strat style guitars so may be able to offer insight into a suitable bridge pup
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
There would be the potential problem if you just swapped out the bridge for something that can handle the tone you are wanting that the output difference between your pickups could be quite large. Ideally you would probably want to have a second guitar for the metal bands.

However, sticking to your request for a choice of pickup: The Super Distortion S would work well as a drop in replacement however a more authentic sound could be achieved by using a full humbucker. Something like the Dimarzio Dual sound has the characteristics of the Super Distortion with the added ability of a 'single coil mode' to allow position 2 of your pup selector to still play some part.

Also: Check out what pups the guys in Iron Maiden use as they pretty much all have strat style guitars so may be able to offer insight into a suitable bridge pup

I know I really would need a second guitar for the metal and hard rock but I can't afford it right now and I kinda wanna stick to this one, I'm fine with modding it :P

I know it would be a smart thing to swap out all three, if I want a metal tone i could get a HSS set of EMG's which would be kinda sweet but I like the stock neck and middle so I kinda don't wanna swap them out unless I have to. But I really don't need that EMG sound since I play very little metal... I just want to be able to get a solid distortion sound.. whenever I crank my Vox Valvetronix on a high gain setting it just sounds wrong with these pickups, at almost all settings :/ (I know not a great amp but I just started playing electric, been playing acoustic since I was 8 ish)

About Iron Maiden sound... From what I see on Dave Murray wikipedia he uses Seymour Duncan Hotrails. And Adrian Smith uses a DiMarzio Super Distortion in some of his guitars (the full humbucker)
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jun 26, 2011,
Dave Murry use to use Dimarzio super destortions in the bridge, vintage fender single coil in the mid and a PAF in the neck positions. I think a full sized humbucker Super Distortion would be a good choise. Dave got a whole lot of tones out of that guitar with those pickups and the Fender single coil and PAF would have been considered "blusey" kinda pickups I guess so a Super Distortion might work well with the stock pickups you want to keep.
Quote by da_
Dave Murry use to use Dimarzio super destortions in the bridge, vintage fender single coil in the mid and a PAF in the neck positions. I think a full sized humbucker Super Distortion would be a good choise. Dave got a whole lot of tones out of that guitar with those pickups and the Fender single coil and PAF would have been considered "blusey" kinda pickups I guess so a Super Distortion might work well with the stock pickups you want to keep.

Would the full size Super Distortion be much better than single coil size? What's the big difference really?
hmm from what i get. dude I'd suggest to look into Fast track II (or I) for the bridge by Dimarzio
I recently upgraded my strat with a Fast Track II in he bridge and a Chopper in the neck. and damn now it is a really heavy mean machine!

dont get me as a biased asshole but I'm only urging you to may be check those out?
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm from what i get. dude I'd suggest to look into Fast track II (or I) for the bridge by Dimarzio
I recently upgraded my strat with a Fast Track II in he bridge and a Chopper in the neck. and damn now it is a really heavy mean machine!

dont get me as a biased asshole but I'm only urging you to may be check those out?

Hmm might check these out.. does it have decent cleans and tight distortion? (If so it might be the perfect pickup for me:-D )
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Would the full size Super Distortion be much better than single coil size? What's the big difference really?

I'm not sure about how bigger diffrence it would be but from what I've heard there is apparantly a diffrence. And since there pickups and every little veriable seems to make them sound diffrent (the amount of turns, the magnets, the covers, the gauge of the wire ect ect) and some guitarest seem to have super hearing and pick up radio stations from outerspace and can tell exactly how many turns of wire there are on a pick up I'd say some people probably can hear a big diffrence. Maybe have a look on youtube at tests of each and see if you can hear a diffrence. If it was me I'd probably go for the full size pickup just because its more traditional and in my opinion looks better.
Quote by da_
I'm not sure about how bigger diffrence it would be but from what I've heard there is apparantly a diffrence. And since there pickups and every little veriable seems to make them sound diffrent (the amount of turns, the magnets, the covers, the gauge of the wire ect ect) and some guitarest seem to have super hearing and pick up radio stations from outerspace and can tell exactly how many turns of wire there are on a pick up I'd say some people probably can hear a big diffrence. Maybe have a look on youtube at tests of each and see if you can hear a diffrence. If it was me I'd probably go for the full size pickup just because its more traditional and in my opinion looks better.

Yeah I just don't see how it SHOULD matter since it's two coils stacked on top of each other or pulled tighter together instead of having basicly two coils side by side... Of course It's more traditional and more practical to have a normal humbucker but I really like the 3 tone sunburst look of a strat better with 3 single coils. I saw a really cool 3 tone sunburst one with a black pickguard and a HSS set of EMG's in it... It looked epic and sounded even better!