Page 1 of 2
So I was thinking today when I remembered a commercial I saw against the use of the word "retard", or the "r-word" in that case. Then I thought about other controversial words/slurs like the "n-word" and such. This then led me to wonder if the English language is the only language with such debated and controversial words? I know there are UG'ers from around the world, so if you live in another country than an English speaking one (or do and speak more than the English language) I'd love to hear your info on this.

This is NOT a thread to discuss the controversy of those words that are controversial in the English language.
I pride myself on my humility.
Chinga
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Different cultures will see it differently. If you say a swear at the wrong time, it can illicit a surprised look on a few people's faces. My sister went to Mexico and said it's similar there, but when she went to Spain, people swear all the time. I don't know how it is with the n word or retard though. I'm sure it's the same in any culture, but probably not encountered often enough to be well known to people outside of that culture.
Scheisse.
Fich dich.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Mayate=n*gger in spanish.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I spent 6 years in Spain, and I've always been under the impression that swearing is considered less vulgar there

I think the racial slur "Negrata" is still very offensive in spanish though, I've only ever heard it used in a derogatory manner, but that's the only thing that occurs to me at the moment.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by supersac
puta= bitch
mierda=shit
chinga= ****

bitch is more like perra than puta
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
also puto, that have two meanings: man *****, and gay
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C

well,this makes for an interesting thread when almost all curse words are said in Spanish XD

But I have ever herd the "Negrata"and "Mayate" words in my life where I live...where are those from? I am guessing Spain?

Edit: Ok,If you try to put a definite definition of some slurs in Spanish you are going to take a while,because words in Spanish can mean totally different things depending on where you are ( I mean Slurs and Curse words...not regular vocabulary words)
Last edited by VillainousLatin at Jun 26, 2011,
Don't forget maricon/maricas

I've never heard "mayate" either, according to urbandictionary it's a Mexican thing.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jun 26, 2011,
I don't get it, why my W-word is censored but the one masamune writes isn't??

well also verga, that have a more complex use, it is used to refer to male genitalia, but in some situation can be used like shit, or like ****

vete a la verga - have almost the same meaning like: **** you

verga! como paso esto? shit, how this just happened?
Quote by Våd Hamster

Last edited by andras67 at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by VillainousLatin

well,this makes for an interesting thread when almost all curse words are said in Spanish XD

But I have ever herd the "Negrata"and "Mayate" words in my life where I live...where are those from? I am guessing Spain?

Edit: Ok,If you try to put a definite definition of some slurs in Spanish you are going to take a while,because words in Spanish can mean totally different things depending on where you are ( I mean Slurs and Curse words...not regular vocabulary words)

Negrata is european spanish, I never heard Mayate before either

And yeah, swear words in spanish vary so much depending on where you are. For spanish speakers this is a great read
🙈 🙉 🙊
and I'm forgetting: no mames, but I can figure out a similar expression in english, some one can help me with this one?

But in emoticons no mames should mean something like this ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by entity0009
Negrata is european spanish, I never heard Mayate before either

And yeah, swear words in spanish vary so much depending on where you are. For spanish speakers this is a great read

aww man I learned a few interesting definitions to some words I use.

^Where I live we use "no jodas" I guess is something similar to Are you kidding me?! but with more emotion put into it? lol
Last edited by VillainousLatin at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by andras67
and I'm forgetting: no mames, but I can figure out a similar expression in english, some one can help me with this one?

But in emoticons no mames should mean something like this ಠ_ಠ

I'm assuming that's similar to european spanish "no jodas", which is something along the lines of "you're shitting me", or other expressions of disbelief?
🙈 🙉 🙊
chinnie pinnie is what my gran uses for chinese people (she's not english).
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by entity0009
I'm assuming that's similar to european spanish "no jodas", which is something along the lines of "you're shitting me", or other expressions of disbelief?

exactly!
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by blackflag49
Don't forget maricon/maricas

I've never heard "mayate" either, according to urbandictionary it's a Mexican thing.

really? I have never heard it either.
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by VillainousLatin
I helped too

sorry man, I totally missed that, thanks!
Quote by Våd Hamster

In Brazil (we speak portuguese) some people find the use of the word "preto" offensive, it is one of the ways of saying black, but let me clear it up:

Negro: Black Person
Preto:Black Color

Calling someone a Negro is ok, but preto is sometimes viewed as an offensive term.

Also, Mongol or Mongolóide for retard.
Quote by Juninho2v
In Brazil (we speak portuguese) some people find the use of the word "preto" offensive, it is one of the ways of saying black, but let me clear it up:

Calling someone a Negro is ok, but preto is sometimes viewed as an offensive term.

Yeah, we use mongoloid over here for retard but it's a more "oh you silly boy" mongoloid than a full blown "YOU FUCKING MASSIVE SPACKING MONGEY" retard.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Juninho2v

Hmm interesting,Preto sounds awfully similar to prieto,which is another way of saying black in Spanish (at least where I live) but Prieto being almost exclusive to black or "Mestizo" people and Negro can be used for both.Also,Prieto can be used both as a term of endearment or offensive depending on content.

Mongolóide is also used,although rarely,as retard or people with down syndrome,I have heard it's because people with down syndrome have similar characteristics to people from Mongolia...but I don't know how much truth there is behind that as I have never seen a Mongol (people from Mongolia?).
cant forget indio perro, or cholo , the white european latinos love yelling dat shit at indigenous dark latinos
hijo de tu maldita madre. like son of a bitch
mamaguevo c0ck sucker
singa tu mai (that you phuck your own mother)
Gear:
Yamaha pac012
Vox VT 20+
Quote by dudew/guitar
hijo de tu maldita madre. like son of a bitch
mamaguevo c0ck sucker
singa tu mai (that you phuck your own mother)

son of a bitch would be more accurately translated to hijo de perra.

also what about eggs? eggs - huevos

in english is a inoffensive word, but in spanish it have the same uses as balls, and nuts to refer to testicles, so if you come to mexico try not to say something like: hey your eggs are tasty!

also concha - shell, is sometimes used to refer to vagina.
Quote by Våd Hamster

I would write some of them down but we don't write in english and you wouldn't even know how to read it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Pretty sure there's a debate with in Japanese whether or not "Gaijin" (foreigner) is offensive, it usually refers to Westerners. Some people view it as offensive and instead say "Gaikokujin".
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Kiss = pee/urine in swedish. (Kissa = to pee.)

Bärs = slang for beer. It's pronounced similiar to a word that means "crap/poo" in norwegian.

And I just realised I misinterpreted the entire thread.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jul 14, 2011,
retard means late in French.

Ta Guile means shut up but offensively. It translates to Your Mouth! but the mouth refers to that of an animal.

Putin means *****, and is only one letter (butin) from booty meaning treasure.

They're indistinguishable when said though, leading to the French version of You Are A Pirate (Lazytown) being hilarious.
I don't know if there's necessarily any controversy regarding any french words, I've only been here 3 years
Of course, every language has words used for swearing that aren't loved by everyone. Some cultures just don't mind swearing as much.

For instance, the Dutch like swearing with diseases. "Kanker" literally means cancer, and although it is used a lot it is frowned upon because you can't expect to yell it out loud in a public place without offending anyone who is dealing with the disease at that very moment.
Page 1 of 2