Hi!

This is in the PDF file, (The main concern is the 2nd bar, but I included the first one incase there is something there that I missed)

when I try to put the same values into GP I am getting different notes and it's not lining up (I am using 3 voicings, the first voicing is in the 2 circles, the second below and the third is in the middle)

Better view, without my scribbling:

Have a look at the notes and you will see they are different as well.

I'm a total noob at this so it could (most probably ) be something i have done wrong.

Thanks!
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
Last edited by MusicGu7 at Jun 26, 2011,

the eighth notes in the second measure are notated as staccato in the PDF. you dotted them.

dotted eighth note =/= staccato eighth note.

EDIT: and the notes are different because GP, simply put, is crap at actual music notation. it doesn't take anything into account. not function, not melody, rarely key, etc.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jun 26, 2011,
Hey!
Thanks for replying.

Ok... staccato... will look at up in the GP buttons.

Hmmm, I thought GP was the best one out there for this stuff... which do you use?

GP I think is pretty good for a noob like me to learn new stuff anyway, but if I am missing out on something feel free to correct me!

Cheers!
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
well, i use sibelius -- but keep in mind that i compose for orchestra moreso than i do for guitar. you could use guitar for sibelius, too, and it'd be fine -- but i think GP is a little easier to learn to use (even though it doesn't take much into account for the written music). not to mention it's cheaper. and not to mention it's in the name. that's why it's guitar pro.

in case you're not sure of the actual difference:

the dot signifies that you take the note, and add half its value to it. so a dotted quarter note is 1.5 beats, since a quarter note gets one beat (1), and the dot gets half that (.5). you probably know this already, but i may as well be sure rather than assume.

staccato simply means to play something very sharply and quickly -- an indication not to hold the note. confusing the two can severely impact the written rhythm -- as you can see in the examples you've given.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I think I tried sibelius once, when i was learning "metal method"... a bit too much for me and did not like the sound on playback.

Like Jesse said, GP feels easier and at this stage avoiding the "confusion walls" is one of my top priorities.

I guess I'll just have to keep coming back here for help with GP

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
@AeolianWolf, thanks for the explanation, I already knew what it was (just not in notation) but appreciate you taking the time to write it down!
Last edited by MusicGu7 at Jun 27, 2011,