Hey guys, I know there are a few threads that discuss reamping, but I wanted to break it down real simple because I just found out how to do it with gear I already had. And I know it's been said but here's a dedicated thread for those unaware (like I was).

So just to be clear, I didn't need to buy a D.I. box for this.

Wiki definition
A guitarist records a dry, un-processed, un-effected track in a recording studio. This is often achieved by connecting the guitar into a DI unit (a Direct Input or Direct Inject buffer box) that is fed to a recording console or, alternatively, bypassing the console by using an outboard preamplifier. Often, the guitarist's signal is sent to both recorder and guitar amp simultaneously, providing the guitarist with a proper amplifier "feel" while also tracking a dry signal.

[TUTORIAL]
From my guitar, I ran the instrument cable to a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. (I also have a Boss Chorus pedal that has two outputs that could be used as well) From the pedal I ran a cable from one of the pedal's two outputs labeled OUTPUT to the INPUT of the amp. That allows you to listen to play with the feel of a real amp. From the other output on the pedal labeled BYPASS I ran an instrument cable from there to an input on my mixing console. I use a Tascam US-1641, it has dedicated Guitar/Bass Line-inputs. From the mixer I sent that signal to my computer via USB and armed the appropriate track on my Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). I use Logic 9.

That takes care of getting the signal on the computer. Now we can save that track for later but eventually we'll have to route that signal back into an amp.

From my mixer's OUTPUT I sent an instrument cable from that output to my amp's INPUT (where you normally plug in). Now you can play your original Direct Input performance from your computer out to an amp of your choice and tweak any and every setting to find the tone you want without having to worry about recording more performances again.

To break it down even more;

Recording the DI tracks
Guitar > Pedal with two outputs > One out to the amp (for amp feel), one out to the mixer > Mixer to the computer.

Playing back the DI tracks on the amp
Mixer output > amp input

Hope this helps and more importantly doesn't get reported or removed!
One correction here. It's more of a nit-pick, but it can be significant.

The wiki part you quoted fails to mention this also, but re-amping is technically not the same as a reverse DI box or whatever.

The signal that your mixer puts out and the signal that a DI box puts out is line level. The signal your guitar puts out is instrument level, which is hotter.

A lot of the time, this won't make much difference, but if you are doing something that requires really pushing the inputs - like a nice high-gain kind of sound, or something with pick squeals or something with whammy bar squeals or whatever, you will notice this difference a LOT.

What you *really* need for an *authentic* re-amping is a device actually called... wait for it.... a re-amp box.

Here is a popular one: http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
One correction here. It's more of a nit-pick, but it can be significant.

The signal that your mixer puts out and the signal that a DI box puts out is line level. The signal your guitar puts out is instrument level, which is hotter.

A lot of the time, this won't make much difference, but if you are doing something that requires really pushing the inputs - like a nice high-gain kind of sound, or something with pick squeals or something with whammy bar squeals or whatever, you will notice this difference a LOT.

CT

Thanks for the post, and clearing up any confusion. I'm not a pro, or even really an amateur at reamping, so take this with a grain of salt. But on my mixer's 1/4" inputs, it has a button for both of them that's the little 'top hat' looking button. My brother thinks it's for phantom power, but I don't think so. He also says it could be for a +6dB boost. Not sure if that does what you mention a reamp box does, but with the music I record (mostly metal) I haven't heard any sonical difference in running the DI signal to my amp and plugging directly into my Mesa. The dynamics are the same, the pinches are the same, the feel is the same. But that's just from my limited experience.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by axemanchris

Ahhh, I've seen several tutorials regarding re-amping and I never understood why they made it so long and difficult when I thought you could just run the DI take straight out the output of the interface and back into the amp. This explains it, cheers!
@Still Sound RG = what kind of mixer do you have?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
@Still Sound RG = what kind of mixer do you have?

CT

I have a Tascam US-1641
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Based on what was said above, I apologise if a post I made on reamping a while back gave TS the wrong impression - I mentioned some DI boxes are able to switch and 'almost work in reverse', meaning there are DI boxes out there that have switchable 'modes' (if you like) and you just switch to reamping, and then plug-in the same way with the signal travelling in reverse (the direction, not the signal itself being reversed) through the box.

Hopefully that clears things up, and well-spotted Chris
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by StillSoundRG
I have a Tascam US-1641

Okay... those little buttons are for inputs, not outputs. They have nothing to do with phantom power.

They essentially tell the interface whether to look for a line level signal (button out in the "line in" position) or an instrument level signal (button in, in the "guitar" position)

CT