This is probably a stupid question, but why is it so hard to get my hands on one of these - or even see one in person. Why can't they pump them out like they do Fenders or Ibanez's?
[Insert something clever here]
If they were as easy to come by as a fender or Ibanez they wouldn;t have the same prestige factor that they do now. People want them because they're iconic and hard to find, yeah their tone is pure sex and they're quality instruments, but their prestige factor is what separates them from the high end ibanez basses and fender basses and to some extent Gibson basses.
Because Rickenbacker's marketing strategy is that of Lamborghini. Exclusivity justifies the lack of a lower (more sensible) price and causes people who have the money to buy them for the sake of the image and not because of the quality.

(Just bought a Rickenbacker 650 last week, love it).
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Ric has been "playing hard to get" for years. It is at the heart of their marketing strategy, and it has worked for them. I don't expect it to change. I remember when they were pretty common back in the late 70s - early 80s. I suppose they were tired of losing money on basses that sat on the shelf for many months at a time.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Also as a byproduct of their marketing strategy, they churn them out so slow that the wait time on ordering a new one is something ridiculous. Because of that, you tend to see mostly used ones changing hands as people decide they don't like one anymore and others pull the trigger on their iconic dream bass. So the only way you'll likely get to try one in person is if you have a friend/family member who owns one or you chance upon the odd used one in a store.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I understand the fact that they are very prestigious now, and that they are the damn sexiest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Are they great quality though? Like will they produce sound and play like a $2000+ instrument should?
[Insert something clever here]
Quote by 13Kelly13
I understand the fact that they are very prestigious now, and that they are the damn sexiest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Are they great quality though? Like will they produce sound and play like a $2000+ instrument should?

I've heard that they ONLY produce ONE sound. (honestly, not a good thing by my standards, not to mention I personally find the Ric to be ugly as all hell.)
pinga
Quote by 13Kelly13

They're built to very high standards. As for how they play and sound, well that's a matter of opinion. Personally I can't stand them, I hate the feel and don't really have any particular use for the tone. However I know people that love how they play and swear by that classic Rick sound.

The only thing that plays and sounds exactly like a Rickenbacker is a Rickenbacker. They're very unique instruments (mostly due to their legal team ), but they're definitely not something you want to buy blindly without trying first.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Rickenbacker is a company that will only sell that they make in production run of three months.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Ricks are hard to find? News to me.

Easy as pie to find one online.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Firstly these things are easy as hell to come by, musiciansfriend has them in stock. The GC by my house has two hanging on the wall, not to mention the used sector has them all over the place.

As far as quality goes, I have heard quite a few stories about shoddy workmanship on these. go to talkbass forums there are tons of threads about this.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by smb
Anyone else think they're a bit of a guitarist's bass?

I've heard this being said about the Ibanez's SR. Not sure. (about the Ric but the SR series are definitely a bassist's bass).
pinga
Quote by smb
Anyone else think they're a bit of a guitarist's bass?

Well a lot of guitarists seem to think Cliff Burton is the be all end all of bassists. And if he used one, then it must be teh bestest bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It has the be the short scale Gibsons fo sho. Those things SCREAM "Hey guitarists, look at me! I'm the exact same thing with 2 less strings!". Not to mention that Gibson themselves isn't a really bass-friendly company.
pinga
Oh Rics... the best basses until you play one. Like MANY bassists, a Ric was my be-all-end-all bass when i first started playing... it wasn't till years later when i PLAYED one that i decided they were not at ALL worth the $$$.

The only thing i can thank Rics for, is getting me interested in Jazz basses.

If you want the look of a Ric, for cheaper, and IMHO, better playabillity... look for an old Greco or Ibanez copy from the 70's.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I've played a few Rics, and they're not particularly amzing I wouldn't mind one if I had the cash spare, but I don't have my heart set on one.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
They CAN make an amazing sound, and there are some bassists that wouldn't sound anywhere near as good without one, but I couldn't tame it

I'd like a copy though, something with a more agreeable neck, and a more mellow tone. I just like the looks.
I'd like a copy though, something with a more agreeable neck, and a more mellow tone. I just like the looks.

Some do exist, but you'll hardly ever find them online (back to the point about Rickenbacker's savage legal team - they demand that online auction houses take copies down). Ibanez made some very good ones at one point, and there's a brand called Anniversary that are not at all bad.
I think Schecter have a Ric copy don't they? I think I actually played one a while back but it had that tree trunk for the neck...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Samzawadi
Some do exist, but you'll hardly ever find them online (back to the point about Rickenbacker's savage legal team - they demand that online auction houses take copies down). Ibanez made some very good ones at one point, and there's a brand called Anniversary that are not at all bad.

Anniversary are somewhat well known around here, they look great, but I'm skeptical as always.

Quote by Shinozoku
I think Schecter have a Ric copy don't they? I think I actually played one a while back but it had that tree trunk for the neck...

it's meant to be a Rick copy, but it's an abomination. I don't think anything about it even approximates a Rickenbacker, or I'd be all over it.
As I suspected.

Guess I'll be building my own one day =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores

Anniversary are somewhat well known around here, they look great, but I'm skeptical as always.

Yeah, I've got one. In terms of build quality, both it and the other one I played in-store when trying to decide between them were excellent - the bridge, in particular, is very solidly put together. The pickups are probably the weakest part of them, and I've switched them out for some Seymour Duncan-designed replacements.