I need gear suggestions. Pick ups, Amps, pedals. For a complete gear overhaul.There's a story involved here so if you don't want to read it skip on down to the info.

Short version: I've been playing guitar for 3 years, took a long break for about 8 months, due to lack of time and money troubles. Now I'm coming back. During my break I played very little guitar but listened to a cubic ton of music and seriously branched out from my strictly classic metal tastes I had when I started. Now my gear is made solely for metal and i'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 on the job it does there. I'd like to play a much wider spectrum of music, something I just don't see happening as well as I'd like on this rig.

Genre's I'd like to play:
Classic Metal (NWOBHM, and Early Thrash) Example: "Hell Patrol" by Judas Priest
Classic Rock (Think George Thorogood, not George Harrison) "Move it on over" by George Thorogood, "C.O.D." by AC/DC
Electric Blues and Blues Rock. "Tush" by ZZ Top, "Sweet Home Chicago" by literally everyone.
Old Country (Strictly Old!) "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard, "Cry, Cry, Cry" by Johnny Cash

Guitar: Jackson RR3 with dark, Korean made metal pups (Invader clones), Alder body.
Amp: B52 AT 112 (Average $360 tube amp) in need of retubing.
I'd also like to look into pedals.
I have a pretty nice paying landscaping job now that should net me a pretty sweet weekly salary so my budget should be in the middle areas.

Sorry about the wall of text but I couldn't find a shorter way to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 26, 2011,
For an amp, check out a Peavey Classic, or maybe a Marshall DSL.

For pickups, you probably want to look into PAFs. My personal favorite combo is the Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5 / 59 SH-1 combo. The DiMarzio Air Classics are also very nice though (lower output than the SDs)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
id say a used 3ch dual rec. can be had for about 1300$
and you can get a good 2x12 cab for like 500$ used

maybe a les paul with coil tapping? or an HSS strat?
theres the gibson les paul traditional pro, coil tapping PAFs and thats 2000$ new

maybe a light distortion pedal for your blusey stuff? most likely an OD for metal stuff.

in total id say that all would be like 4500$ probably unlikely for one summer but i think that would be a good setup
Offworld92, I'm checking out the pick ups, so far I like the SH-5, can you tell me any more about it?

Seanthesheep, for an amp, I'd like to keep it between 500 and 800 USD. $1300 for a head is a little to much for me.

And I'd like to keep my guitar, it being my first quality electric and being pretty unique for those genres.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

seems like you are selling your current gear a little short. your B-52 amp is tube and should be able to get most of the sounds you want depending on how its tweaked within reason. any mid - level amp you get will have it's short comings either on the cleans or the gain. personally i'd say get less metal oriented pickups maybe a pedal or two and then save until you can get a better amp that really is better. another guitar might not hurt as your current one while a nice axe isn't really ideal for some of the stuff you want to play.
For the pickups: Get something rather low or moderate output, that's all I can say. The rest is something you have to find out yourself. I'd suggest a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and '59 for the neck. For ultimate versatility you might also consider a set of P-Rails.

For the guitar itself: It will do the job, but in the end something rather not aimed at metal will sound better for those genres than the RR from my experience, no matter how "unique" you might be playing blues on an RR.

For the amp I'd say a (used) Orange Rocker 30, Jet City 50, (used) Fender Super Sonic 22 + an OD pedal to make those heavier sounding for the heavy stuff you play.
Quote by Seanthesheep
id say a used 3ch dual rec. can be had for about 1300$
and you can get a good 2x12 cab for like 500$ used

maybe a les paul with coil tapping? or an HSS strat?
theres the gibson les paul traditional pro, coil tapping PAFs and thats 2000$ new

maybe a light distortion pedal for your blusey stuff? most likely an OD for metal stuff.

in total id say that all would be like 4500$ probably unlikely for one summer but i think that would be a good setup

I wouldn't suggest a recto, and I'm the biggest recto ***** around these parts....

Something like a JCM800 or GH50L is probs gonna be better, pretty much all those tones you suggested are kinda British voiced so a Recto would be completely the wrong spectrum.

With a few pedals and what not you'd be able to get all those tones out of a JCM800, you'd need to have a fair bit of to tapping live to get the different sounds but it's workable. However if a single channel amp won't work for you then a Marshall DSL should be up your alley.

Orrrrrr Jet City 50 watt or 100 watt. Again with a few pedals would do all you need
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jun 27, 2011,
I checked out the Jet City 50, is there much difference between the 2x12 combo and the head plus the 1x12?

Just curious, what about my guitar makes it not so good for said genres, the wood? What?

Also, can anybody give me some suggestions on what pedals for what genres?

Thanks,
Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie