If i buy a shure sm57 microphone and reaper software, will i need anything else to make atleast decent recordings. I already have good headphones
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
yes, a good mic pre-amp and a good tube amp
after that you need to PRACTICE

it took me like a year even with good equipment to get a decent recording...
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
You need a recording interface with a mic preamp on it. You can get them for around $70. After that, it's just experimentation until you get something that sounds good to you.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
all depends on what you're trying to do. but for recording guitar tracks that should do ya. I have an 8 track, a couple of sm57's, but since the 8 track can only accept 2 mics at a time i'm not satisfied because i can't record drums the way i want, the eq isn't expansive enough, and it's hard to manually pan tracks precisely. So something like a presonus firestudio is where i'm headed next. like i said, it's all about what you wanna get done

EDIT: My bad i assumed you already had an interface with mic pre's because you're talking about recording into your computer. yeah, you need this to do anything quality. don't cheap out on this because it's really important
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jun 26, 2011,
i would get and audio interface and plug into that with guitar and use free amp sims. and learn to mix. once u learn to mix an amp sim move onto trying to mic an amp and mixing that into a mix.
Quote by matt360
yes, a good mic pre-amp and a good tube amp
after that you need to PRACTICE

it took me like a year even with good equipment to get a decent recording...

I have a Schecter C-1 classic and an Egnator tweaker so my tone from my amp is good. What is a mic pre-amp. Would a mixer be considered one?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
I have a Schecter C-1 classic and an Egnator tweaker so my tone from my amp is good. What is a mic pre-amp. Would a mixer be considered one?

Eh, its going to depend a lot on your speaker cab

Just buy an M-Audio interface, don't buy a mixer
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
also your live tone and recording tone are two completely different things. good chance your good tone will suck on a recording...which is why i prefer to record everything clean and then amp it again with distortion. so i can tweak to fit in the mix.
i really dont want to use computer amps and such. Just mic the amp i have.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-DMP-2-Dual-Microphone-Preamp-180156-i1170876.gc

Would this be good enough for a pre amp?
Im trying to stay on a budget of about $160 with the microphone and anything else after buying reaper for $40
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
i really dont want to use computer amps and such. Just mic the amp i have.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-DMP-2-Dual-Microphone-Preamp-180156-i1170876.gc

Would this be good enough for a pre amp?
Im trying to stay on a budget of about $160 with the microphone and anything else after buying reaper for $40

That's not what you want. what you want is an audio interface so you can run your mic into reaper on your computer
Quote by ItsThatDude
That's not what you want. what you want is an audio interface so you can run your mic into reaper on your computer

Can you give me an example?

would this be what your talking about?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Icicle-XLR-to-USB-Mic-Converter-Mic-Preamp-105315832-i1427196.gc
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Last edited by -Kr0n1c- at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
Can you give me an example?

would this be what your talking about?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Icicle-XLR-to-USB-Mic-Converter-Mic-Preamp-105315832-i1427196.gc

essentially yes but i was thinking more along the lines of something like this

you have a budget though so you get the best that you can afford. don't be afraid to look used as well
Quote by ItsThatDude
essentially yes but i was thinking more along the lines of something like this

you have a budget though so you get the best that you can afford. don't be afraid to look used as well

The link you put up was the same one i did?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
I ended up buying the shure sm57 with cable and stand combo, the presonus audiobox, and reaper software. I hope it all sounds good
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
make sure your read up on micing an amp or you will be disappointed. its a trail and error thing and reading up will help you find a good technique faster.

(also don't forget to read up on EQing it as well).