Ok ya know how an E chord is normally played.
If I played it like this 0xx100. I have the root the third and the fifth. So why not?
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Quote by ClassicRock1169
If I played it like this 0xx100. I have the root the third and the fifth. So why not?

well, why?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
well, why?

Please just help me I'm new to theory
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Would this still be considered an E chord
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
the duplicate notes ( B and E), make the chord sound fuller and more powerful. Not needed, but definitely helps make chords sound not as thin. But if that's what you're going for, then more power to ya
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by hammettrocks
the duplicate notes ( B and E), make the chord sound fuller and more powerful. Not needed, but definitely helps make chords sound not as thin. But if that's what you're going for, then more power to ya

O know that's not what I'm going for. I was just wondering! Thank Ya!
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Quote by ClassicRock1169
Would this still be considered an E chord

OH. lol.

yeah, it would. you're just omitting two particular notes that would give the chord a fuller sound, since they're in the lower register.

you could even play just the E and the G# if you really wanted to. you couldn't technically call this an E chord, but it would function the same. if you have all 3 notes in a triad, you can double them in other registers (i.e. in higher or lower octaves) to obtain a fuller, thicker sound (be aware that the type of sound you get depends on where the doubling is -- just use your ears for that).
There are lots of ways to play any chord. The reasons that some are used like the standard open chords is just because they are pretty easy to form and they normally are the fullest version of the chords that are available on the guitar since you can use all 6 strings on most of them, which considering you only have 4 fingers, gets harder to do the more you shift away from using open strings.

So, more power to you if you want to use other variations. The open chords are just used cause they're easy to play and give a full sound which a lot of people go for since the guitar and keys are normally the only instruments in a band which can fill in a whole chord well, so it falls to them to do it.
Quote by ClassicRock1169

It is still an E chord. There are a lot of different ways to play it on the neck. As longs as you have the root the 3rd and the 5th fretted ANYWHERE on the guitar regardless of the order of the notes (type of inversion) you can consider it an E chord. It all comes down to the sound you want really and how you want the chord to work in the context of the song.

if you really want to feel the E chord naturally then you could keep the E in the Bass. Like if you were to hum along with the chord you would hum the lowest note E.
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
As longs as you have the root the 3rd and the 5th fretted ANYWHERE on the guitar regardless of the order of the notes (type of inversion) you can consider it an E chord
Sorry for jacking, but would a root + third count as a chord?
Say if I had an E + G#, omitting the fifth, wouldn't that still be perceived as a Emaj chord?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Say if I had an E + G#, omitting the fifth, wouldn't that still be perceived as a Emaj chord?

No it would be a Dyad. A Triad is the smallest chord.

A Root and 3rd may "suggest or imply" a chord, but in and of itself, it's a Dyad.

You generally need a R 3 5.

that E G# might not be an E Major...It could also serve as a rootless C+ in the right context. or a C# minor even.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by AntiG3

No, a chord contains three or more notes, what you have there is a dyad.

Quote by AntiG3

It would still be perceived as--and function like--a chord, but note that it could also be confused with a C#m.

EDIT: Darn, Sean beat me to it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by AntiG3

Quote by AeolianWolf
you could even play just the E and the G# if you really wanted to. you couldn't technically call this an E chord, but it would function the same.

i beat you both to it.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i beat you both to it.

Grrrrr.

Well, I came to this forum to do two things: discuss music theory and kick some a**. Since I don't have anything else to add to this thread...
Quote by soviet_ska
Grrrrr.

Well, I came to this forum to do two things: discuss music theory and kick some a**. Since I don't have anything else to add to this thread...

i know i tend to come off like such a prude and an asshole, but you guys make me feel like i have family here.

</mush>
Quote by AeolianWolf
i know i tend to come off like such a prude and an asshole, but you guys make me feel like i have family here.

</mush>

We've cracked the harsh exterior and revealed a sweet caramel center!