I Have heard of using RIT dye to color a pickguard. I searched, and didn't find what I was looking for. I wanted to get a light gray using the black dye. With one of those aluminum baking tins. Does it need to be in the oven on a low setting? Or, leave it on the counter? How long will it take? Pickguard is white, by the way.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
you will get purple if you use black for light grey. i have a lot of experience using RIT, dying lacrosse stick heads. They sell a few kinds of grey dye, which will suit your needs much better. basically boil water, put in the dye (in a container you don't care about that fits the pg) and throw in the pg. check every couple minutes for color.
OK. Well, I dont know what other colors to do with a blue guitar... Maybe red... IDK.
No oven?

EDIT ---
Superman guitar.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Last edited by jakesc8 at Jun 27, 2011,
Well, if I did red would it turn out pink? Would it be better to put in in the oven on a low setting?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

reds a touchy color. if the red is diluted much yes it will be pink. youd just want a strong amount of dye for red. if its too pink, do it some more!

i wouldnt put my neck on it, but this fiebings leather dye i got for dying the wood on my guitar dyes everything it touches. i would bet it could work for plastics. and i would bet a direct non diluted application would work well with red or any other color. its on ebay for like 8 bucks, comes in a nice size container that will last a longgg time. worth a shot IMO. you can use it on tons of other stuff if not
Alright, I got the materials today. Finally got around to it. I navy blue. I think it will look cool on the metallic blue guitar. I took the pickguard off, and found a thin sheet of metal on it over the control cavity. Is this the ground to the guitar. I don't know much about electronics. Can I scrape it off? Or will that make the guitar explode into 8 million pieces?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

That's shielding, it helps to stop your guitar from humming. You can take it off but I'd recommend putting some back on afterwards.
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
That eliminates humming right? Where can I get that?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

You can use aluminium (aluminum if you're american) foil iirc but you can get proper shielding from here http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding.html
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Last edited by lolometer1 at Jul 8, 2011,
yes aluminum foil will work with spray adhesive. but aluminum tape is easy to find and use too, when copper tape is harder to find ( you can order on ebay)

the adhesive on aluminum tape is not conductive, so where strips overlap you need a hot soldering iron and poke dimples at the overlaps. this melts the adhesive and pushes the pieces together. if you do this at every overlap you will have full contuniuty, no problems.
with spray adhesive and foil, you can use only one or two pieces and have continuity no problem
with copper tape the adhesive is conductive, so you just lay it on and its good to go.

aluminum and copper are barriers for different kinds of interference. youll have to look up the difference
I think Ill do aluminum foil with spray on adhesive. Sounds easiest. I cannot solder. Thanks. I should have it done with pics next week. Gotta get the new shielding. Can I just put a big piece of foil on there, or does it need to be in a certain shape? And, removing existing shielding, should I just scrape it off with a chisel or something?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves