So i'm recording a demo for my metalcore band at the moment, got all the drums tracks down and they actually sound pretty good for my first recordings, the rough guitar tracks i've done are really easy to mix and i'm not worried about how the guitars are going to sound but the bass, oh my the bass sounds like ass, i'm really not sure what to do, we've tried using amplitube, it sounds decent but it's lacking something and is inconsistent in tone, it changes every time, when we DI it it is extremely inconsistent and never sounds the same which is strange and i don't have the equipment to mic it, i have 2 SM58's, SM58 Beta and some other dynamic mic that is ancient and apparently picks up bass really well, any suggestions as to what i should do, feel free to ask any questions. Oh and i'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra.
How I process -core bass:

- Record DI
- Duplicate the DI track and limit each
- Low pass one of the DI's, this track will have all the lows off the bass
- High pass the second DI and add distortion of some sort, I like TSE B.O.D. a lot
- Buss both tracks together, blend to taste and limit again
- Here's a clip of a cover I'm working on using this method: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/ShinerWIP.mp3

It's also very important that your bass player is a good consistent player, no amount of processing can make up for a poor bass performance, which is one of the most important parts of a metal mix.
Quote by Odirunn
How I process -core bass:

- Record DI
- Duplicate the DI track and limit each
- Low pass one of the DI's, this track will have all the lows off the bass
- High pass the second DI and add distortion of some sort, I like TSE B.O.D. a lot
- Buss both tracks together, blend to taste and limit again
- Here's a clip of a cover I'm working on using this method: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/ShinerWIP.mp3

It's also very important that your bass player is a good consistent player, no amount of processing can make up for a poor bass performance, which is one of the most important parts of a metal mix.

This is the golden answer. I would add that on the distorted track I usually drop off a lot of frequencies that aren't close to the attack.
Excellent suggestion, Odirunn!

I usually just plug in direct to a Presonus tube pre (about $100 at GC). Warmth and distortion of a tube accomplishes something similar to above.

Old-school, though. More of a Classic Rock approach.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Best bass sound I ever recorded was through a SansAmp. It mixed itself!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.