I'm doing some exercises of picking notes on the high E and B strings while trying not to look to any of my hands.
I noticed that I make less errors when holding the pick between those strings and playing notes on the high E ( E, F and G) with down strokes and playing notes on the B (B, C, D) with up strokes.

My feeling says 'whatever suits you best' but I'm very wary of teaching myself some inferior techniques that I'll have to unlearn later on.

So, is this ok or should I move my pick up to play the notes on the B string with down strokes as well and keep the up strokes for the alternate picking techniques when tempo/rhythm goes up?
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
So you mean you're doing:

e:--1-----2----3-----
B:-----1----2-----3--
D U D U D U

Or have I got that wrong?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
afaik, inside picking is fine, but I think outside picking will help you more in the long run, especially when you start doing more and more string skipping licks. because when you outside pick, youre pretty much doing string skipping even if the strings are adjacent because you still have to skip over the E string to hit the E string with an up stroke.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by xgunterx
I'm doing some exercises of picking notes on the high E and B strings while trying not to look to any of my hands.
I noticed that I make less errors when holding the pick between those strings and playing notes on the high E ( E, F and G) with down strokes and playing notes on the B (B, C, D) with up strokes.

My feeling says 'whatever suits you best' but I'm very wary of teaching myself some inferior techniques that I'll have to unlearn later on.

So, is this ok or should I move my pick up to play the notes on the B string with down strokes as well and keep the up strokes for the alternate picking techniques when tempo/rhythm goes up?

If you're going to use two downstrokes then make sure you're using one fluid movement for both strings otherwise there's no point. Beyond that it doesn't actually matter which way you do it as long as you're consistent with your practice, the worst thing you could do would be to confuse your muscle memory by not sticking to one method.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
How bout Up picking on the e string and Down picking on the B string? :/
It's easier for me that way.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're going to use two downstrokes then make sure you're using one fluid movement for both strings otherwise there's no point. Beyond that it doesn't actually matter which way you do it as long as you're consistent with your practice, the worst thing you could do would be to confuse your muscle memory by not sticking to one method.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Although it seems easier for this exercise, it is probably best to keep the upstrokes for alternate picking and stick to one method that can be used independent to any string.
Thanks.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
I would try to get equally comfortable with both inside and outside picking on adjacent strings... as with alternate picking - both are necessary.
Quote by cringer
I would try to get equally comfortable with both inside and outside picking on adjacent strings... as with alternate picking - both are necessary.

Hit the nail on the head there. You're going to need both, so you're going to need to learn both.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.