Poll: Which is more versatile?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more versatile?
Passive EMG's
25 83%
INF 3 and 4
5 17%
Voters: 30.
I'm an idiot, so I don't know anything about these pups.
Passive EMG's or Ibanez INF 3&4's: Which is more versatile?
Personally I wouldn't take either... but Passive EMG's over Ibanez's for sure.
I have the INF1 and 2 stock in my guitar, and they suck. The bridge is decent, but still nothing special. Replacing them right now.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
I have the INF1 and 2 stock in my guitar, and they suck. The bridge is decent, but still nothing special. Replacing them right now.

haha...
Quote by demon.guitarist
What kind of stuff do you play most? Tones you want? What amp do you use?

Everything. Mostly rock, metal and blues (odd combination, I know)
I play blues when I'm upset and metal when I'm angry.

If I could, I would like more sustain
Last edited by wammybarnut at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V
why exactly those pups? can't you get anything else?

Yup, cant get anything else. If I had a wide range of choice I would get seymour duncans or dimarzios...
I would choose the EMG over the Ibanze pups, having owned both - though the EMGs dont do blues so well.

It depends how authenitic you want to be I guess - check out the 'what pickup' thread and also check out the seymour duncan and bare knuckle websites

EDIT: ahhhh, in that case get the EMGs
Depends on the sound you're going for. But i'd go for passive EMG's if i had no choice.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by wammybarnut
haha...

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Why do people think its weird to play both metal and blues?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I'd save up for DiMarzios or Duncans if I were you.
I don't think you'll get that much improvement if you swap for the passive EMG's.

And also...posting which amp you have is quite relevant..you might not even get that much of a difference whatever you get depending on your amp.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
for what it's worth, I have INF pickups in my RG and they're not very good... They're actually the reason I never play that guitar. They're decent enough, not as horrid as people make them out to be, but still, the bridge has a HUGE bump of low end and low mids and a huge output and the neck has a much lower output, which makes a big difference in volume between them, especially when you're playing clean.

I think the neck is decent but also has very little presence.

However, I'm not a big fan of EMG pickups, or active pickups in general. I'd look somewhere else where I you.
That's tough. They're both really terrible.

Which HZs in particular are you talking about?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

No idea, they are partly opposites to each other.
Quote by wammybarnut
Laughing at the coincidence

ah, gotcha.

Yeah, go with the EMGs. The INF1 and 2s are apparently better than the 3 and 4, but they still suck.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Shor
I'd save up for DiMarzios or Duncans if I were you.
I don't think you'll get that much improvement if you swap for the passive EMG's.

And also...posting which amp you have is quite relevant..you might not even get that much of a difference whatever you get depending on your amp.

If they were available, I would have gotten them, but I'm stuck with a choice between a pair of passive emg's and inf's.
I loathe myself
Quote by wammybarnut
If they were available, I would have gotten them, but I'm stuck with a choice between a pair of passive emg's and inf's.
I loathe myself

why are you stuck?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
why are you stuck?

Well, need to replace some busted pickups in a second hand guitar. Someone has a mini ibanez repair center and he managed to scrape off a set of those pups. There's no store nearby here that sells pups, plus I can't buy pups online 'cause of where I'm stationed.

So EMG's it is. Thanks guys
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Personally I hate my INF3+4's in my Ibanez
The general tonal palate sucks imo
Quote by Shinozoku

point taken
Last edited by wammybarnut at Jun 28, 2011,
hey dudes i have the ibanez xp300fx with a pair of INFs 3 and 4 and they are "good" not that great so im thinking of replacing them with new pups. i play power metal, metalcore (mainly Parkwaydrive , children of bodom, as i lay dying, all that remains.....)

a friend of mine is looking forward to get new pups as well so im thinking of buying his EMGs ( i think 81 and 85) so what do u think about it and if anyone has other suggestions go ahead
Steve please make your own thread instead of bumping an old one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Either Crunchlab/Liquifire with coil tap, or man up for metal with 81/60s
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I'll try to be helpful. The Passive EMGs for sure. I have a set in my Schecter, and i'm not sure why they get so much hate. I can pull of most genres reasonably well. Amp is more important really. I've used my Schecter in metal, blues rock (the white stripes, zeppelin) country, and contemporary Christian. They can get a nice sound for most genres if you have a versatile amp and know how to EQ. Not crazy about stock Ibanez pickups so i would pass.

EDIT: I hate necrobumps -_-
Last edited by shecter guy at Nov 16, 2011,
INF's are the worst pu's in the whole wide world.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by shecter guy
I'll try to be helpful. The Passive EMGs for sure. I have a set in my Schecter, and i'm not sure why they get so much hate. I can pull of most genres reasonably well. Amp is more important really. I've used my Schecter in metal, blues rock (the white stripes, zeppelin) country, and contemporary Christian. They can get a nice sound for most genres if you have a versatile amp and know how to EQ. Not crazy about stock Ibanez pickups so i would pass.

EDIT: I hate necrobumps -_-

ddnt knw it would cause such disturbance :P srry :P