So, I'm in the market for a new amp. I play mainly progressive/technical metal kinda stuff as well as clean melodic bits. So I want something versatile in that aspect but with alot of harmonic content and tight crunch. Right now these 2 are in the budget I have and I'm just trying to get opinions. Also suggestions are welcome.
Mark V is amazing. Dunno if it's worth the cash and how heavy you're wanting to go. I know Petrucci has been playing with the Mark V lately, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
5150III is the epitome of tight; you'll cut through mixes like butter. I hate Mesas in general so I may be biased, but who gives a fuck, you wanted opinions. Get the 5150III.
Last edited by Kikuta at Jun 27, 2011,
Depends on which rec we're talking about. Haven't try the newer versions of the recs, but I hated the old 3 channel ones. Only recs I liked where the tremoverb and the roadster.

Like others have said, Mesa Mark V is the right way to go unless you want that specific recto tone / sag.
Mesa Mark IV or the Mesa Road King, both amps destroy at metal, more so the Road King at technical metal, a much tighter gain amp in my opinion.

Mesa Dual rec doing rock/metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2wSCgFHYE&feature=related

Mesa Dual Rec doing Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRRfaqhY5g&feature=related

Mesa Mark IV doing Techish metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bdLMs1m10&feature=related

Mesa Road King doing Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfahRmsLfJU&feature=related
Between the Rec and 5150 III... I'd take a Recto and it's not even really close. I like every 5150 (and their variations), but I haven't loved any of them. I love Rectifiers.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Between a 5150 III and a 3 Channel Dual Recto, definitely the 5150 III. The 3 channels are muddy, loose and just overall gross. The 5150 III will cut through a mix easily, is much more versatile, and has a GREAT clean channel. I'd just wait till the 50w version comes out (supposedly in July), I guess it's going to be $1000. I want one.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Mesa Mark IV or the Mesa Road King, both amps destroy at metal, more so the Road King at technical metal, a much tighter gain amp in my opinion.

Wait, are you saying the RK is tighter than a Dual Recto, or tighter than the Mark IV? Cause if it's the latter, this is blasphemy!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Between a 5150 III and a 3 Channel Dual Recto, definitely the 5150 III. The 3 channels are muddy, loose and just overall gross. The 5150 III will cut through a mix easily, is much more versatile, and has a GREAT clean channel. I'd just wait till the 50w version comes out (supposedly in July), I guess it's going to be $1000. I want one.

Wait, are you saying the RK is tighter than a Dual Recto, or tighter than the Mark IV? Cause if it's the latter, this is blasphemy!

To me the RK sounds tighter than the Dual rec, the dual rec has almost a sagging gain, very loose, and the RK's gain is a bit more defined, but still very saggy.
Quote by ethan_hanus
To me the RK sounds tighter than the Dual rec, the dual rec has almost a sagging gain, very loose, and the RK's gain is a bit more defined, but still very saggy.

Oh, definitely tighter than the Dual Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mrmoo182
Well I'd want the option to go pretty heavy, Meshuggah's tone would be a good example of what I mean.

Listen...

Gain =/= heavy.

That song is heavy because it's tuned low.
Yet you don't have to tune low to be heavy.

There isn't that much gain on their tone, and you can do anything you want with the Mark V's EQ. You can make it smooth as butter (Dumble? ) or sharp as nails.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
5153 by a mile.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by ethan_hanus

Mesa Dual rec doing rock/metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2wSCgFHYE&feature=related

Mesa Dual Rec doing Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRRfaqhY5g&feature=related

Mesa Mark IV doing Techish metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bdLMs1m10&feature=related

Mesa Road King doing Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfahRmsLfJU&feature=related

Dude dont post feardse vids to go by he edits all his shit heavily.

ts Id look into mark ivs better than a v imo, 2 ch rectos or single recs series 1s.
But the 5150 III is a killler amp if it were me Id wait till the 50 watt version of the 5150 III comes out its supposed to be half the price If its the amp you choose of course.
Its all what your preference is.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by slipknot_420

ts Id look into mark ivs better than a v imo, 2 ch rectos or single recs series 1s.
But the 5150 III is a killler amp if it were me Id wait till the 50 watt version of the 5150 III comes out its supposed to be half the price If its the amp you choose of course.

In your opinion.

I know a lot of people who say the same, and I was of this mindset as well after trying the Mark V the first time and finding its lead channel lacking. After playing the two side-by-side, though, the Mark V was the clear winner for me. The clean channel is hugely improved, the crunch channel is actually usable and sounds great, the lead channel leaves something to be desired, but after trying a Mark IV again, so did the Mark IV's lead channel

I know some people prefer the cleans on the Mark IV though, because they are more sterile and jazzy. I personally can't stand that tone, but if it works for others, then more power to em Not sure how anyone could like the crunch channel better on the Mark IV though, that channel just completely sucked.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I havent tried the 5150 III, but from what I have heard I like it better than the recto.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not sure how anyone could like the crunch channel better on the Mark IV though, that channel just completely sucked.

Depends what you're using it for. If you expect hard rock/metal rhythm tones, then yeah, you'll be disappointed, but with a boost its great for mid gain lead tones. With my BB Preamp I get some pretty sweet, thick Andy Timmons style tones from it.
Quote by slipknot_420

He just compresses the holy crap out of em, not really any different than what a professional studio would do, and adds two bass tracks, one clean, one distorted, he really doesn't do anything else to em.

They are a much better comparison than the cruddy vid cam tracks of someone attempting to play death metal stuff.
I'd vote 5150III -- but I'm into them. I prefer them over Rectifiers, but it's tone preference. Really it's up to your ears in the end, both amps are amazing. But I just prefer the 5150/6505 series

Also; to get my thick, heavy ass tone I use now a days I use a 6505+ -- but the gain is set to 3 or 4. Strange? No... I use 12 or 13s tuned to Drop C -- I get most of my heaviness out of my pick ups and my strings! Tone is a fine balance, but cranking gain won't make you "heavy"... just "muddy".
Quote by 3074326
Between the Rec and 5150 III... I'd take a Recto and it's not even really close. I like every 5150 (and their variations), but I haven't loved any of them. I love Rectifiers.

have you played the 5150 III? because you can't compare it to the 5150 and 5150 mk II, it's an entirely different company and an entirely different amp; the only thing remotely similar is the name. i would suggest the TS checks out the 5150 III; the mark V is also a good option but it's not everyone's cup of tea. also tbh if its meshuggah tones you're after, you better look at some modelling gear too since that's what meshuggah used and its pretty hard to get a tone quite like theirs on a tube amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Jason_Clement
I'd vote 5150III -- but I'm into them. I prefer them over Rectifiers, but it's tone preference. Really it's up to your ears in the end, both amps are amazing. But I just prefer the 5150/6505 series

Also; to get my thick, heavy ass tone I use now a days I use a 6505+ -- but the gain is set to 3 or 4. Strange? No... I use 12 or 13s tuned to Drop C -- I get most of my heaviness out of my pick ups and my strings! Tone is a fine balance, but cranking gain won't make you "heavy"... just "muddy".

You prefer the 5150/6505 series?
The evh 5150 III is in a different world than a peavey 5150/6505s
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
You prefer the 5150/6505 series?
The evh 5150 III is in a different world than a peavey 5150/6505s

Hehe, I will definitely have to try it. I was only offering my advice based off the 5150s and 6505s I've played. But if the 5150 III is that different, then my advice probably holds little validity in their decision making xD
if you want that recto sound, get a used 2 channel Dual Rec. if not i'd go with the Mark V or a Roadking, both are very very good. 5150 is also a great amp but i find them generic for metal, nonetheless very solid and great sounding amp tho, i just personally prefer the sound of a Recto
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.