Hello,

I would like to ask how to soundproof drums properly?

Of course the walls have a say in it but I'm not exactly sure what materials I need.

Looking for a budget solution though if that's not feasible

I can work my way up to a sound proof room(will be building it myself but will take a long time as I have no funds right now)

I kinda just want to know what is a safe way to sound proof a room for drums.
you can build a little platform where you put your drum kit on, it takes some of the vibrations away. If you want to sound-proof a room, yeah its always expensive for as far as i know.
"The Demon Code prevents me from Declining a rock-off Challenge"

-Satan.
Quote by Steve08
For a really ghetto and cheap solution... drape t-shirts over your cymbals and drums and it will mute most of the noise.

...well that's no fun...
Yeah, but it works!

Anyway, TS if you really want to soundproof a room (not just the kit itself), invest in some acoustic foam. You can find that stuff for cheap on eBay.
Quote by Steve08
Yeah, but it works!

Anyway, TS if you really want to soundproof a room (not just the kit itself), invest in some acoustic foam. You can find that stuff for cheap on eBay.

Acoustic foam only really serves to deaden sound reflections coming back into the room; acoustics and soundproofing are 2 very different things.

Unfortunately there is not really a way to get decent soundproofing on the cheap. It's something that requires quite drastic building work and a lot of expensive materials. I think really your best bet is to try and build a drum platform as suggested and try adding material over the windows if they are single glazed since this is where most sound escapes from.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I have no personal experience, but I observe quite a bit. These are some things that come to my mind right now:

Heavy drapes. These are pretty good, I have heard, for their price.
http://www.eclipsecurtains.com/

I know these are good, you could try and find them used, lol.
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soft-sound-studio-in-stock-foam.html

On Youtube, there is a guy who's channel name is Bopkins14 (who's incredible) and he joined a band called Hard Honey (channel name is HardHoneyChannel). They have a video called "HardHoney Episode 2 - Getting started." In this episode, they show brief instances where they are soundproofing the band room. What they are doing is taking old mattresses (maybe box springs) and applying new sheets/blankets and stappling them on. They then lay the mattresses against the wall.

Be creative. Hope I've helped any.

EDIT: Also, another thing that just came to mind, is that Lars Ulrich (think what you will) redid his studio during the recording of the Black album. For the track Enter Sandman (I don't know about any others) but he had planks of wood covering the entirety of the walls in his studio, or a cage around his set, or something. That's why his toms sound like that.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The username. Who wants to be known as the poop kid? That's like the kid that poops in the urinal at school and everybody finds out about it.

Quote by Metallicaxp
This, this right here is the correct option.
Last edited by thepoopkid3 at Jun 27, 2011,
Thanks everyone Sorry for the late reply

Drapes and foam and planks of wood + matresses

I'll try them once I can move outta the house. It seems promising.
I got 2 rolls of painters tape(maskin tape will aslo do) and I had a friend who worked at a restaraunt who was able to get 200 egg cartons for me.
Tape those to the walls and put some blankets on the floor and you've got a sound proofed room.
Never been in the drum forum before - so Hi everyone

Anyway, this and a few other threads would be welcome in the Recordings forum, if you guys ever have similar questions about recording drums/treating rooms for recording, so if asking here doesn't work you could try asking us

The only response here that will do much to soundproof the room realistically, is what eddiehimself said - acoustic foam is not designed to soundproof anything, it just treats the reflections of higher-end frequencies from bouncing back off the wall, to the listening position/position of the mic and source.

In general, to soundproof a room there are two main factors - mass, and distance/thickness. The more dense a material is, the better it will soundproof a room (particularly with regards to low-end, i.e your kick drum and floor tom) relative to something less dense of the same thickness. And the thicker a material is, the better it will treat low-end as the extra thickness will be able to deaden frequencies of a longer wavelength.

On a budget, the best you will do is probably raising the kit off the floor onto something solid and the mattress thing/cover up windows (maybe build some removable covers out of a wooden frame and 6" thick slab of rockwool, so you can put them up when needed?), along with partially covering up any major cracks under doors/air vent.

If you wanted to properly soundproof a room you would need to treat all exterior surfaces (i.e not just walls, but the floor and ceiling too), so a dedicated room would have a 'room within a room' by floating the floor on some thick beams that are themselves on top of some thick rubber absorbers, and hanging the ceiling from the real ceiling.

Quote by corrda00
I got 2 rolls of painters tape(maskin tape will aslo do) and I had a friend who worked at a restaraunt who was able to get 200 egg cartons for me.
Tape those to the walls and put some blankets on the floor and you've got a sound proofed room.

No. Egg crates will do about as much to soundproof a room as covering it in newspaper. The egg crate shape is used to design denser foam that will reflect sound at randomised angles to reduce the build-up of reflections at certain parts of the room.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 5, 2011,
People - get it right:

Soundproofing = preventing sound from escaping the room.
Sound treatment = treating the room to get different qualities in reverb/echo/bass/mids etc etc.

Putting things on walls like boxes and foam and stuff does NOTHING to soundproof. Proper soundproofing will require the modification of internal AND external walls.

Acoustic sound proofing boards around the kit can help reduce some noise to the outside listener but won't get rid of it all. The only other reasonable alternative is to build a room within a room which will encase your kit. But the chances of this in a regular sized house is next to nil.