Well, "djent" really refers to a certain type of guitar tone with high mids and trebles and low bass, so it makes a "djent" sound when it's palm muted. However, as a genre it usually means music using this type of tone, where the guitar riffs are monophonic and use a lot of bends. The kick drum is syncopated with the guitar, while the snare and hi hat play a standard 4/4 beat. Usually there's a lot of atmospheric clean guitar and keyboards in the background. For an example listen to "Insomnia" by Periphery, that's a pretty textbook example of djent.

Personally I don't like it at all, but a lot of people on here do.
Really easy to find a lot of djent at the moment too. It's pretty much the flavour of the moment in metal right now.

Edit: Also I was under the impression that Cloudkicker is part of the djent movement. Which blows the 4/4 theory out the window. I could be wrong though.

Edit Edit: Sorry misread the 4/4 part, Cloudkicker still fits haha.
Last edited by Mahabajaba at Jun 27, 2011,
Whatever tone you have, minus polyrhythms Djent is just not Djent.

Says who? Anyway, for Djent as a genre, Meshuggah is generally considered to have pioneered it, while bands like Periphery, TesseracT and, albeit in a more shred-y direction, Animals as Leaders are the three big names in the genre. At least, in my opinion, they're also really the only three bands worth listening to.

DiminishedFifth is without a doubt, the go to guy in this forum for good djent music.
Quote by guitar_jew
Says who? Anyway, for Djent as a genre, Meshuggah is generally considered to have pioneered it, while bands like Periphery, TesseracT and, albeit in a more shred-y direction, Animals as Leaders are the three big names in the genre. At least, in my opinion, they're also really the only three bands worth listening to.

Agreed. You can DEFINITELY djent without polyrhythms (most bands do, anyways). Polymeters are used often but that all started way before Meshuggah back in classical music. It's used often today for the sound it creates and cause there IS a lot of shitty djent trying to copy Periphery and Meshuggah (see: Hydrodjent and other similar bands).

@the bolded: You must be learned! Check out: Cloudkicker, Chimp Spanner, A-SynC, gru, Monarchist (pretty textbook, but it's alright), Monuments (amazing), and even a little bit of Scale the Summit's new album "The Collective" is djenty.

DiminishedFifth is without a doubt, the go to guy in this forum for good djent music.

Thanks
Quote by Tarbosh
Meshuggah pioneered djent as much as Slayer pioneered death metal. They were a big influence, but that doesn't mean they're included in the genre.

I wouldn't consider them djent either (except ObZen, djent was already made and popularized by that point, they have no excuse). They're still good to look up when wanting djenty material and examples.
Yeah I'm not too big on the djent, it's still gotta be kinda melodic for me to like it.

Bands you should definitely check out:
Periphery, Chimp Spanner, Monuments, Red Seas Fire, Corelia (not very djenty at all actually but they're amazing), The Haarp Machine, Haunted Shores (not djenty either but I thought I'd include it)
You're welcome, DF. I give credit where it's due.

Meshuggah pioneered djent as much as Slayer pioneered death metal. They were a big influence, but that doesn't mean they're included in the genre.

Yeah, I suppose pioneered wasn't the right word.

I wouldn't consider them djent either (except ObZen, djent was already made and popularized by that point, they have no excuse). They're still good to look up when wanting djenty material and examples.

1. ObZen happens to be my favorite Meshuggah album, regardless of the fact that it came out after djent became popular. It's just the perfect balance between their thrashy roots and the groove they developed on Nothing, and I don't think they of all bands wrote a djenty album to ride on the wave, so to speak.

2. They're also good to look up simply because they're ****ing Meshuggah. :P
Quote by amonamarthmetal
Wrong section

yeh but it worked
thank you all

edit: btw you haven't crit my song yet
Vildhjarta are one of the best djent bands out there and according to them the material they've released so far is pretty rubbish so I'm stoked for their full album release. If I had to choose though I'd say that TesseracT are the best djent band out there at the moment, they've got everything, I literally cannot find fault in them, great live too.
Also according to Misha who I'm pretty sure basically helped coin the term djent, it's onomatopoeia for the sound you get when you palm mute a 2 octave power chord or something like that but it basically has come to be a genre in the way everyone has already described.
And I'm pretty sure Meshuggah are the single pioneer of djent, they spawned it even if they didn't mean to. It wasn't like there was a djent wave that Meshuggah were involved in, there was Meshuggah and now there's a djent wave after them.
Also ObZen is definitely there best album, although Rational Gaze is probably my favourite song, that shit is groovy as.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
You can DEFINITELY djent without polyrhythms

If you don't have polyrhythms there has to at least be something rhythmically interesting about the riffs (syncopation, odd time signatures, not on the expected beat, generally off kilter) otherwise it's just not really djent as far as I see it, although I could be wrong.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by frankibo
Vildhjarta are one of the best djent bands out there and according to them the material they've released so far is pretty rubbish so I'm stoked for their full album release. If I had to choose though I'd say that TesseracT are the best djent band out there at the moment, they've got everything, I literally cannot find fault in them, great live too.
Also according to Misha who I'm pretty sure basically helped coin the term djent, it's onomatopoeia for the sound you get when you palm mute a 2 octave power chord or something like that but it basically has come to be a genre in the way everyone has already described.
And I'm pretty sure Meshuggah are the single pioneer of djent, they spawned it even if they didn't mean to. It wasn't like there was a djent wave that Meshuggah were involved in, there was Meshuggah and now there's a djent wave after them.
Also ObZen is definitely there best album, although Rational Gaze is probably my favourite song, that shit is groovy as.

If you don't have polyrhythms there has to at least be something rhythmically interesting about the riffs (syncopation, odd time signatures, not on the expected beat, generally off kilter) otherwise it's just not really djent as far as I see it, although I could be wrong.

That's what I consider djent as well, rhythmically interesting music
Djent is NOT a genre. Djent is an onomatopoeia for a palm muted power chord with an added fifth and octave on top. Djent does not equal polyrhythms. It's only a sound.
Quote by alexgepgepgep
Djent is NOT a genre. Djent is an onomatopoeia for a palm muted power chord with an added fifth and octave on top. Djent does not equal polyrhythms. It's only a sound.

Rock n roll isn't a genre of music, it's sexual slang from the 1920s.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by alexgepgepgep

Djent is a genre now, or at least a movement of bands with similar styles. It started off as onomatopoeia but in time it's grown to be a branch of progressive metal.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus