Hi,
I am a noob when it comes to notation but I am trying to learn as well as use GP.

I came across these symbols while trying to copy some sheet music into GP, can someone please tell me what it means?

Here's the first one, its a II (like roman numeral 2) and a line below:

Same image without my scribbling:

And a single I (like roman numeral 1):

And finally, this one

As you can see in the tab below there are some notes but in the notation it is blank... what does that mean? Do I play those or not?

Thanks!
Ryan
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
(My hero) - Robin Williams
Last edited by MusicGu7 at Jun 27, 2011,
If your sheet music was written for classical guitar, the roman numerals indicate position on the fretboard, I meaning index finger at the first fret, II meaning index at the second fret, and so on.

In the last one, the tr. above the staff means a trill, which is usually played on a guitar by rapidly hammering on and pulling off between two notes. Yes, you would play the 1-0-1-0-1 shown in the tab notation.
:E
Last edited by Formina_Sage at Jun 27, 2011,
Yes, it was indeed written for Classical!

Thank you for answering all my questions, now i just got to search for "trill" in the GP software... (I had it written down as ghost notes till I got your reply).
“God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.”
Roman numerals indicate which fret you place your index finger, and usually mean that you have to barre multiple strings at that fret. The single horizontal line after a roman numeral indicates how long you hold the barre for.
Thanks!

Got something new, what the heck is this "lento"?

I know it's 69 beats but the "Lento" above is confusing me... is it some kind of style? And how/where do I set this in Guitar Pro?
I wonder why you would copy that score exactly to guitar pro.. GP is not quite made to make accurate scores with everything you want on it and on the spot you want it.
You're copying because you want to learn to work with GP or to be able to hear what is written? For the second one: there are programs that can convert image files to scores.

If you want to add the 'Lento' in gp6 double click the tempo mark in your score or the tempo mark right. Type 'Lento' as label.
Italian is often used in scores (cresc.=crescendo, dim.=diminuendo, stac.=staccato, p=piano, f=forte, ...)
lalala
Ah I see! Thanks for that!

> You're copying because you want to learn to work with GP or to be able to hear what is written?
A bit of both really...

> For the second one: there are programs that can convert image files to scores.
That is most intersting and something I did not know about!
Do you happen to have any of the program names or URLs?

Thanks!

EDIT:
@RobinTrower12, Thanks!
Last edited by MusicGu7 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Didii
there are programs that can convert image files to scores.

Are we talking like I give it a .jpg and it converts it into a virtual editable score?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
It's a tie. In standard notation it means that the note is still played for the duration of the tied notes. In that case, it's the same, but the note duration is indicated by the lines under the tab.

For example, the first measure has the first note held for a half note tied with a quarter note (for a total of three beats).

To be honest, that is pretty awkward way of notating something. Might as well go with full standard notation at that point.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

The newest Sibelius is pretty friggin sick. WIth its photoscore and audioscore updates.
I very much recommend getting the newest Sibelius. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it.
Quote by rockingamer2
It's a tie. In standard notation it means that the note is still played for the duration of the tied notes. In that case, it's the same, but the note duration is indicated by the lines under the tab.

For example, the first measure has the first note held for a half note tied with a quarter note (for a total of three beats).

To be honest, that is pretty awkward way of notating something. Might as well go with full standard notation at that point.

Thanks, well explained!